Dweezil Breaks the Axe-Fx

Yes. But not sure if it is the live stream. Not sure if there is more than one video?
Oh wait now I remember! It was on Instagram. Don't think it's still there and the live stream on Facebook is different.

I can pm you the settings.

Reactions: ESW
Oh wait now I remember! It was on Instagram. Don't think it's still there and the live stream on Facebook is different.

ok nice. Thanks! I'm not on Instagram so I didn't see it.

Can you PM me the settings as well, or post them in this thread?

Dweezil Dynaflange settings:

Use two different amps and cabs (Dweezil used Marshall JTM and Fender Twin IIRC in his example)
Use own routing for each amp and pan the cabs hard left and right
Balance the volume of the amps until you feel it's it sounds right
Put a mono tape delay in front of the Fender (or Marshall if you prefer)
Feedback to 0, mix to 100%. Leave other settings default from now.
Attach an envelope follower to delay time. Set min value to 0ms and max about 20-80ms depending how wide you want the sound to be. Dweezil settled for 52ms or 57ms IIRC, which was quite wide. There's no right or wrong in here.
Play with the envelope controller to fine tune the effect until you find the sound pleasing (threshold, attack, release). This depends on your guitar pickup output, so there's no universal setting here.
That's basically it.

Optional:
Play with the delay modulation settings to have more chorus-y kind of sound or go nuts with the sound.
Put a phaser, flanger or an octave down/up effect on the amp that doesn't have the delay.
Use wah and fuzz to really make the effect audible.

Extra tips:
Attach a controller to Motor Speed to set how fast the sound ramps up. Low values = fast, High values = slow. Dweezil didn't show this in the video, but I believe this is a little trick he's used.

Unfortunately the Instagram Live videos didn't save, but yes that's where you would've seen a different live stream that included filming the screen.

What happened at 10:30? The tone up to that point was a bit harsh, then all of a sudden it smoothed out and got very nice. Just turning down the treble?

Edit, I watched again and heard DZ ask that the treble and presence get turned down.

Last edited:
Dweezil will be at my home studio next week to set up his Axe-Fx III for the next tour. Maybe we'll do some live video with direct audio if it can be arranged. We're also potentially going to a studio to create a cab pack together!

That's amazing. I'd love to know what he used on the Roxy tour. The amp and auto wah settings on 'More Trouble Every Day' sounded exactly like album.

Dweezil will be at my home studio next week to set up his Axe-Fx III for the next tour. Maybe we'll do some live video with direct audio if it can be arranged. We're also potentially going to a studio to create a cab pack together!

This would be incredible!

Back
Top Bottom