Dweezil’s Rig Rundown

In a way it can be argued Dweezil is running his own Frank Zappa tribute band. Which is kinda sad, in a way, because he's obviously a very talented musician, I think I saw him live in the 90's with his brother on Dynamo Open Air. Why is he not having success with his own music? Or you can reckon he's like Christopher Tolkien, self appointed guardian of his father's legacy, keeping Frank and his music alive. I reckon the latter is a far more satisfying anwer, right?

One thing you're not hearing in this vide is the huge resonance of the QSC KW212s. When you stand next to this rig, the low end can be monstrous (the presets need to be dialed back a bit in this regard).

Also, @Muad'zin -- last year, Dweezil toured behind "Via Zamata" which was a very successful solo record. He's also composed and performed for/with Orchestras in Europe (sold out shows). You're not going to see those songs in rotation on Classic Rock radio, but in terms of creating original works, he's pretty prolific. Also, in my experience, the amount of energy this band puts in to making the Frank material be not only faithful but fresh is an impressive feat of personal achievement that I don't think your typical cover band can claim. It impresses die hards and newcomers alike. You should see a show when they come around next.

For those of us who truly appreciate the depth and range of Zappa Senior’s compositional and conceptual genius and it’s criminally poor exposure and understanding to the public, Dweezil’s work on this project cannot be considered less than crucial and inspired.

amazing!
I like how Nick was just shaking his head when Dweezil was jamming.
It blows me away how Dweezil can remember all the complex songs as well as the sounds that go with them.

self appointed guardian of his father's legacy, keeping Frank and his music alive

Well sued for it by his own family members... Crazy.

Dweezil is a greatly talented dude. I like it when big stars are not intimidated by technology but instead embrace it and master it.

One thing you're not hearing in this vide is the huge resonance of the QSC KW212s. When you stand next to this rig, the low end can be monstrous (the presets need to be dialed back a bit in this regard).

Also, @Muad'zin -- last year, Dweezil toured behind "Via Zamata" which was a very successful solo record. He's also composed and performed for/with Orchestras in Europe (sold out shows). You're not going to see those songs in rotation on Classic Rock radio, but in terms of creating original works, he's pretty prolific. Also, in my experience, the amount of energy this band puts in to making the Frank material be not only faithful but fresh is an impressive feat of personal achievement that I don't think your typical cover band can claim. It impresses die hards and newcomers alike. You should see a show when they come around next.
Yup I use different QSC's live...they are extremely awesome!

Wow. Was the violin at the end from the Fractal or one of his pedals? This inspires me to move out of my 'box' of sounds and try some quirky stuff. At least my buddies would be impressed...lol.

Wow. Was the violin at the end from the Fractal or one of his pedals? This inspires me to move out of my 'box' of sounds and try some quirky stuff. At least my buddies would be impressed...lol.
That's a Fractal preset.

At one point Dweezil had his fractal presets up for sale...sadly many of them were useless unless you had his rig, but he did have his violin from that time, but Matt’s is better, likely based on what he did for Dweezil.

Last edited:
It'd be interesting if they discuss on these bids which amps folks are using in modellers

Not a dig at anyone just a general observation considering how many folks are using modelling these days

I'd imagine Dweezil is using his 65 Bass guy

Enjoyed the video and Dweezil is an awesome player

Back
Top Bottom