Duty / Shipping to Canada?

sprint

Axe-Master
Questions for Canadian Axe III owners (if any yet).
- Did you pay duty?, if so, what %?
- What was your shipping cost? (I'm @ Ottawa Ontario area).

My invite is coming up fast and I'm trying to work out the price eh!

Hi, no duty but there is HST on import @ 13% of the total Canadian value. I believe shipping was $125 USD +/- and I am in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

Thanks,
D

Questions for Canadian Axe III owners (if any yet).
- Did you pay duty?, if so, what %?
- What was your shipping cost? (I'm @ Ottawa Ontario area).

My invite is coming up fast and I'm trying to work out the price eh!

I'm in Ottawa too. In USD, my invoice was 2499.99 + 325.00 + 133.35 = 2958.34. This is unit + HST + shipping. All money was collected by FAS and the unit arrived at my door with no money owing (i.e. no brokerage, duties, additional taxes).

Hope this helps.

That was also my experience ordering the Axe II to Vancouver. Haven't been fortunate enough to order the III yet...

I'm in Ottawa too. In USD, my invoice was 2499.99 + 325.00 + 133.35 = 2958.34. This is unit + HST + shipping. All money was collected by FAS and the unit arrived at my door with no money owing (i.e. no brokerage, duties, additional taxes).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info @sprint. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but you paid your Canadian taxes (HST) in US dollars ?

Thanks for the info @sprint. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but you paid your Canadian taxes (HST) in US dollars ?

It's basically the same thing. :)

Axe-Fx III = $2,499.99 USD x 13% HST = $325.00 USD = $437.71 CDN

Axe-Fx III = $3,365.67 CDN x 13% HST = $437.54 CDN

Last edited:
We're set up as a "non resident importer" via a small office we maintain in Canada, so there are no brokerage fees or hidden charges. All amounts shown when you check out in our store are in USD.

Which is a good thing.

UPS is/was notorious for charging ridiculous brokerage fees at the border. Long story short, I bought something from the U.S. for $25, the UPS brokerage fees at the door were $50. A UPS driver, on a domestic delivery, told me never to use them across the border. A class action lawsuit was launched against UPS for this very reason, and without doing anything, I received two cheques for $26 each for excess brokerage fees charged by UPS on two separate deliveries.

https://www.siskinds.com/cmsfiles/P...nd Hearing to Approve Proposed Settlement.pdf

So the way Fractal Audio is setup to do business in Canada, using UPS as the courier, is great...no surprises at the door! Well, except for the mind blowing from the Axe-Fx...then again, shouldn't be a surprise by now! :)

Last edited:
Which is a good thing.

UPS is/was notorious for charging ridiculous brokerage fees at the border. Long story short, I bought something from the U.S. for $25, the UPS brokerage fees at the door were $50. A UPS driver, on a domestic delivery, told me never to use them across the border. A class action lawsuit was launched against UPS for this very reason, and without doing anything, I received two cheques for $26 each for excess brokerage fees charged by UPS on two separate deliveries.

https://www.siskinds.com/cmsfiles/PDF/PriceFixing/UPS/Notice of Certification and Hearing to Approve Proposed Settlement.pdf

So the way Fractal Audio is setup to do business in Canada, using UPS as the courier, is great...no surprises at the door! Well, except for the mind blowing from the Axe-Fx...then again, shouldn't be a surprise by now! :)

Kind of tangential to this conversation, but I discovered recently that the brokerage fees depend entirely on which level of shipping service you pay for from UPS. If you use the most basic services, including ground, then you get charged a larger amount of brokerage and it also depends on the declared value of the item. Their higher rate services like World Saver actually include the brokerage fees in the shipping fee, and are independent of the item value. So in some cases though you might pay $90 instead of $50 for the shipping, you could save a lot on brokerage fees if it's a more expensive item. They have a chart here: https://www.ups.com/ca/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/customs-clearance.page

Used a canadian $ credit card to pay FAS whose prices are in US$. The credit card company converts to Canadian$ based on the exchange rate on the day of
purchase.

As noted above - everything was included in the $ I paid to FAS on the initial transaction - easypeasy!

Last edited:
Didn’t pay anything extra from the shipping charges that were incurred. Duty and brokerage were all included. Thats why the shipping is so high.

That’s right! We (BC) voted “No”

But the point is there’s no duty so when you order from Fractal you get charged the tax that your province charges and then the shipping and that’s all you pay. No surprises which is nice. And the shipping is very fast. When I ordered my AX8 it arrived in 2 days.

yeah, the shipping from Fractal is great. Unfortunately UPS is purely incompetent and left the box ("signature required") at my neighbour's place down the hallway... good thing I have nice neighbours!

Back
Top Bottom