Dusty Hill, R.I.P

Absolute gut wrench. Love ZZ Top. His guitar technician recently sat in for him on a few shows so they wouldn't have to cancel when he had to get some medical attention for his hip.

You know, when Elvis died, I was a kid. When John Lennon died, I was an early teen. Jim Croce, John Bonham, etal just didn't give me much pause. I was young, chasing girls, playing in bands, no cares.
But now, when it's guys in bands that I saw live, had many of their albums, guys like Dusty, Eddie Van Halen, etc., it really starts hitting home.

RIP. We do Cheap Sunglasses in our set and my favorite part is the bass groove during the “woo” guitar delay part.

The last couple years have been brutal for legendary musicians meeting the reaper.

I think my biggest disappointment is that no one current is filling those shoes either.

RIP

Wow! I wonder what happens to all the shows they had lined up?? They had a gig tonight.

View attachment 86541
”Earlier this month, Gibbons and Beard played their first performances without Hill in more than 50 years, stating that the bassist had been forced to seek medical attention “to address a hip issue,” according to a statement, although his ailment was apparently more serious than they let on. “Per Dusty’s request the show must go on!,” the statement continued, and the band’s longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, filled in.”

From the Variety article.

”Earlier this month, Gibbons and Beard played their first performances without Hill in more than 50 years, stating that the bassist had been forced to seek medical attention “to address a hip issue,” according to a statement, although his ailment was apparently more serious than they let on. “Per Dusty’s request the show must go on!,” the statement continued, and the band’s longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, filled in.”

From the Variety article.

If he recently had surgery on his hip and passed in his sleep I wonder if
it was a clot. Doesn't change the outcome, just makes me wonder as I
lost a couple of relatives that way.

Hated to hear it, however it happened, for sure. The whole “needed hip repair, then died” was a little deja vu after losing Tom Petty over meds use for a similar issue. I‘m guessing the details will come out in time. Sorry about your relatives, bro.

I'd heard he'd fallen over injuring his hip. So considering his age a blood clot is entirely possible

RIP Dusty

so sad to see this thread and learn, it was not what I was expecting to read this evening when I clicked on the lounge, RIP...:cry:

So sad to hear. ZZ Top has been around so long, they're almost mythical so, it's very difficult to imagine any of them are capable of dying. R.I.P. Dusty Hill. You will be sorely missed by many.

Back
Top Bottom