Duplicating USB audio (for general playback) to Out 1 and Out 2 simultaneously

mcmurray

Inspired
I'd like to dedicate OUT 1 to headphones and OUT 2 to monitors for general playback duties on a Mac - this is to have one volume control knob each for headphones and monitors.

Anyone know how to do this? In Audio MIDI setup I can assign USB audio playback to OUT 1 OR OUT 2 but not both simultaneously.

You can't do that by Axe-Fx itself. Headphones output is hardwired only to OUT 1.
Use additional speaker monitor like Behringer Monitor 1. Small, passive, comfortable, cheap. Just rout it to OUT 1 then to your speakers and cut them with mute button when you need headphones. Or you can use mixer to split everything and use separately.

Last edited:
You can't do that by Axe-Fx itself. Headphones output is hardwired only to OUT 1.
Use additional speaker monitor like Behringer Monitor 1. Small, passive, comfortable, cheap. Just rout it to OUT 1 then to your speakers and cut them with mute button when you need headphones. Or you can use mixer to split everything and use separately.

I've been doing this, but it's a PITA especially when ideally I'd like to use separate equaliser settings on speakers vs headphones.

There has to be a way to do this within the OS itself (in my case MacOS). All I want to do is force MacOS to duplicate audio channels 1 and 2 to audio channels 3 and 4, on a multichannel USB interface. Is anyone aware of a third party tool that can do this?

Ok I got it working, found a solution by searching google for "macos audio routing tool".

If anyone's interested here's what I'm using: https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

With Loopback selected as the audio output, I've wired output channel 1 to monitor (AxeFx III) outputs 1 and 3, and output channel 2 to monitor outputs 2 and 4. Now I have independent volume controls and EQs on the AxeFx III, OUT1 for headphones, OUT2 to monitors.

I'll post here again if I have any issues with this setup.

SCf6ZLO.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Loopback is very cool. Yes, it's a PITA to need it, but it's super flexible and you get a ridiculous amount of control over audio routing on Macs.

I use Blackhole as a tool on macOS.
There are 2 versions, one 2Ch and one 16Ch.
I use the tool because MacOS has no audiomixer.
And not every application allows to configure audio connections, but use the system settings.
With Audio/Midi in MacOS you can combine different audio sources inputs and outputs to a virtual main device. Under Virtual Master you can set the audio master and under Speaker Configurations the audio output to use.

Not only virtual head units can be created, but also audio devices with multiple outputs.For example, I can use the line output of the Mac and the AXE as a common audio output. Under Speaker Configuration the audio output can be selected.

I have created a virtual device for each output of the Axe to address each output on the Axe. But also the reamp input 5-6.

All these virtually created devices can now be used via the System Preferences Audio or in applications like Garageband.

Have fun with it.

Is Loopback similar to Voicemeter for Win?
partially, although the processing part of Voicemeter would be handled by tool more like Audio Hijack on Mac.

And what about latency? Analog way doesn't affect it.
I haven't found any noticeable latency with Loopback yet. Whatever processing it does is fast enough to be done within a single sample.

Price is ridiculous though. Surely there's a free tool that would do the same!

Man, after writing software for 20+ years now, and seeing how the open source community is completely abused, I'm getting real tired of the grifter mentality that pervades society these days.

Honestly it's our own fault though. You make the results of your hard work free, and people will expect it. Same reason musician's unions have never really taken off and the music industry being shady and predatory is pretty much a given these days. People don't value their own work, how can you expect anybody else to

And what about latency? Analog way doesn't affect it.

There appears to be additional latency after testing with Pianoteq. I can certainly feel the difference when playing even with the same buffer size.

Decent latency is a requirement for me, so I've uninstalled.

Man, after writing software for 20+ years now, and seeing how the open source community is completely abused, I'm getting real tired of the grifter mentality that pervades society these days.
I'm also a software engineer. What I'm asking for shouldn't cost $109, period (any additional functionality of Loopback would be of no use to me anyway). In fact this functionality should be baked into MacOS IMO.

Back
Top Bottom