Dunlop Rotovibe

TGM

Inspired
Hi,

I'm utilizing a dunlop rotovibe for most of my solos. I'm trying to emulate this effect using rotaries in axe fx but I was not successfull. Would you guys please help if I can get closer to this effect using Axe FX 2's pedals?

I'm including a clip here, sorry for my sloppy playing, I was mostly experimenting with sound:

In this clip I'm utilizing my rotovibe pedal. IT's similar to a wah pedal in apperance. The sweep is at the uppermost point, which determines the speed of the effect (at it's lowest). And the intensity is set to the highest setting.

Last edited:
Yeah the Rotovibe is an LDR based 4 stage phaser very similar to the Uni-Vibe, but uses OpAmps and LEDs instead of discrete transistors and an incandescent bulb. That makes the sweep more uniform like a phase 90 rather than the characteristic lumpy swing of the Uni-Vibe. The cap values in the phase stages are also a bit different. The Uni-Vibe model is a good place to start.

I always thought mine sounded more like a chorus with a foot controlled speed, and really not much of an asymmetrical true univibe “throb”.

I’ve always used a chorus block when trying to go after those Zak Wlyde (only artist I know of really using the effect) tones for leads, set fairly fast and deep.

Milder phaser settings also would get fairly close as might the rotary block.

When it all comes down to it the effects aren’t worlds apart, as a vibe was trying to sound like a rotary speaker and chorus pedals have long been a “poor mans leslie” lol

Reactions: TGM
Thanks a lot for all the answers. I have tried the settings recommended by yek and austinbuddy. I will play a bit more, and then will post a comparison between dunlop rotovibe and axe's classic vibe.

Back
Top Bottom