Dunlop picks...

Billbill

Power User
Not to be the author of another super subjective personal preference YMMV type of thread but I feel I need to talk about it lol.
I realized that i switch pick types, not gauge but materials, about once every 5 yrs for about 29yrs now lol. Just recently I've played Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm standard for years & now I feel like I cannot get used to them now which is strange. The texture more than anything else. Tortex feels like I can't grip them after about 20min of playing and they feel huge now for some reason. I believe it's just body chemistry changing that's throwing me off.
I grabbed some Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm sharps and the sound, the fee it's amazing! Favorite pick yet!!! Anyone else get annoyed with Tortex picks it's like a love hate relationship lol \m/

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed by Tortex picks. I've used them most of the time I have been playing (30ish years). I do agree the Ultex picks are great though. Maybe it's all in my head but I feel like they have a nicer attack to them.

I switched from Tortex to Ultex a few years ago and never looked back. Sounds more crisp and clear and lasts longer too. I use Ultex XL series Jazz III's. The raised lettering on them makes for a good grip with sweaty hands as well.

Not to be the author of another super subjective personal preference YMMV type of thread but I feel I need to talk about it lol.
I realized that i switch pick types, not gauge but materials, about once every 5 yrs for about 29yrs now lol. Just recently I've played Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm standard for years & now I feel like I cannot get used to them now which is strange. The texture more than anything else. Tortex feels like I can't grip them after about 20min of playing and they feel huge now for some reason. I believe it's just body chemistry changing that's throwing me off.
I grabbed some Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm sharps and the sound, the fee it's amazing! Favorite pick yet!!! Anyone else get annoyed with Tortex picks it's like a love hate relationship lol \m/

I recently bought a variety of picks to try out,and just like you my favorite was the Ultex 1mm sharp. Nice snap and definition like a lighter pick, yet solid like a heavier pick. I think they sound great on both electric and acoustic.

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed by Tortex picks. I've used them most of the time I have been playing (30ish years). I do agree the Ultex picks are great though. Maybe it's all in my head but I feel like they have a nicer attack to them.
Which ones have nicer attack for u Ultex right? If so, then I agree 110% and it's not just in your head it's fact.

I recently bought a variety of picks to try out,and just like you my favorite was the Ultex 1mm sharp. Nice snap and definition like a lighter pick, yet solid like a heavier pick. I think they sound great on both electric and acoustic.
Yep same exact story here! And when I switch back to Tortex after trying the Ultex only now I can hear how dead my attack and tone is on acoustic which only annoys me on the electric with them too

Although I'm hearing and feeling great things from the Ultex that I didn't get before, something about Tortex still has a tiny piece of my heart lol. Maybe it's the grittier sound when really digging in on some metal riffage that's probably more of a feel thing. Haven't tried Ultex with any of my distorted chugga chugga stuff yet but I think that's where Tortex shines

...gonna give them a try. I occasionally try variety packs of picks and have tripped over Ultex before; but, as luck would have it, never stumbled across one in my preferred gauge. So, just blew three-whole-dollars on some in my preferred thickness... Better be good!! :0)

I don't need to say- different materials make different sound/tone... that's a given.

But- There's no reason to have one go to either...

In the studio I keep an organizer with literally every pick/size/material

And I'm not afraid to grab whatever I need in terms of tone and feel.

As for Tortex- My favorite- if you're having size issues- try the Tortex Jazz 3, I always keep those around.

If it's a grip issue- there's gorilla snot, or just take a blade and make a # on it

I want to say the alligator dunlop picks are in between guages with a matte finish and more grip

I've never gelled with Tortex. I jump around between Ultex sharps and jazz 3's, Carbon Fiber jazz 3's, and this stainless steel pick I've had forever. If I'm in an odd mood I reach for Brossard's pointy bone picks.

I've tried all kind of pickups in more than 30 years playing. Also played the Tortex, Ultex, Jazz and Petrucci's for a while. For the last 5 or 6 years I only play with Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm. I've found my perfect grip and size

mh.jpg

Dunlop Flow's for me, best picks I've ever played.1.5 or 2mm for live playing, 3mm Petrucci's for practice

I don't need to say- different materials make different sound/tone... that's a given.

But- There's no reason to have one go to either...

In the studio I keep an organizer with literally every pick/size/material

And I'm not afraid to grab whatever I need in terms of tone and feel.

As for Tortex- My favorite- if you're having size issues- try the Tortex Jazz 3, I always keep those around.

If it's a grip issue- there's gorilla snot, or just take a blade and make a # on it

I want to say the alligator dunlop picks are in between guages with a matte finish and more grip
Right on man! You're def right about not just having a one pick pony. I think I'm gonna settle for the wife on heavier stuff and the girlfriend for softer or acoustic stuff.
Funny story. RAMBLE ALERT: When I was studying to become a fighter pilot I heard about a training tactic they used called "chair flying". It's basically training your brain to track every detail when driving and imagining yourself in the aircraft. Well, fast forward quite some years and today I "chair pick". Probably the only player that does this goofy thing? I always keep my fav pick on my center counsol and just kinda hold the pick like I'm playing I'll just lightly air strum or along the edge of the seat for a few minutes and toss it back lol. So yeah picks matter lol

Right on man! You're def right about not just having a one pick pony. I think I'm gonna settle for the wife on heavier stuff and the girlfriend for softer or acoustic stuff.
Funny story. RAMBLE ALERT: When I was studying to become a fighter pilot I heard about a training tactic they used called "chair flying". It's basically training your brain to track every detail when driving and imagining yourself in the aircraft. Well, fast forward quite some years and today I "chair pick". Probably the only player that does this goofy thing? I always keep my fav pick on my center counsol and just kinda hold the pick like I'm playing I'll just lightly air strum or along the edge of the seat for a few minutes and toss it back lol. So yeah picks matter lol

Air Guitar is a serious sport. Playing Air Guitar with a real pick? Could that be considered a form of cheating? :D

Ultex is my favourite standard pick material. I can't gel with tortex at all. They're so slippery to me, I might as well use them as lube in the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom