Dunlop Petrucci Wah and FX8

Olli Happ

Hi everybody,

I´m currently having strange issues running my Dunlop petrucci crybaby in front of the FX8.
Sometimes I get a nasty loud noise when playing the wah. It sounds like you have an instrument cable
pulled. It won´t stop. You can bypass the FX8, change presets. It seems like something in the FX 8 is freezing, or some terrible kind of clipping. It´s very loud and won´t stop until I set my Engl Steve Morse on standby. I´m not sure if the wah clipps the input of the FX8. It didn´t look like the yellow light would permanently show up. I´m running the wah with the distorted channels of the Engl Steve Morse on high gain (Hard Rock and metal).
I´m using humbuster cables. The noise happened at my rehearsel space as well as on yesterday´s gig.

Settings are:
Wah: Gain around 9/10, other settings are the petrucci settings
FX8: Pad: 12 db, Headromm 12 db
Guitar with Seymor Duncan Sh6s

Hope you guys can help me out!

Regards,
Olli

I got mine a couple of days ago and had some issues as well. It was intermittently clipping the pre in and depending on my clean channel's gain, also the post in/out. I ended up rolling the amp's clean gain down a little and the pedal's internal volume boost back to about 5 and that cleared up my problems. I need to play with it a little more to see how low I can get the input pad with an acceptable wah volume--I'm currently running it on 18.

Thank you Strazz,

I will tweak the volume settings of the Wah. Strange thing is, that it doesn´t always clip and make this terrible noise. It does not always occur and it starts slowly an then builds up that loud noise that i can only stop by turning the amp on stand by.

Regards

This sucks to hear because I just bought a JP95 and I absolutely love it but if it won't jive with my FX8 then it's sadly got to go. I'll be interested in hearing any fixes you guys come up with

This sucks to hear because I just bought a JP95 and I absolutely love it but if it won't jive with my FX8 then it's sadly got to go. I'll be interested in hearing any fixes you guys come up with

I just bought an fx8 and jp wah. My wah did clip the fx8 when engaged with everything set as it was right out of the box. I just turned the vol on the wah all the way down, and slowly brought it up one notch at a time until clip. then back one. works awesome! sounds amazing.

I just bought an fx8 and jp wah. My wah did clip the fx8 when engaged with everything set as it was right out of the box. I just turned the vol on the wah all the way down, and slowly brought it up one notch at a time until clip. then back one. works awesome! sounds amazing.
Hi,
When you say you turned the Vol on the JP95 Wah down,your talking about the blue volume inside the unit correct?
Richb

Cool, glad I read this first! Just bought an FX8 but I've been running a JP95 wah into the input on my outgoing G system, was causing more general noise n hum, not so much clipping! At least I'll know what might need tweaked with the new set-up!

The JP95 volume setting I use that sounds like unity gain with absolutely no clipping of the FX8 on any channel of my JP-2C strumming loud open chords throughout the range of the pedal could be found like this:

Starting from the JP95 internal trim pot turned off. Increase the volume trim pot till you see the first + horizontal/vertical setting.

There is still room to boost if you need to. Set to taste. Sounds amazing, and offers variety to the included FAS wahs. I don't hear any tone loss either with the additional pedal in line.

The JP95 volume setting I use that sounds like unity gain with absolutely no clipping of the FX8 on any channel of my JP-2C strumming loud open chords throughout the range of the pedal could be found like this:

Starting from the JP95 internal trim pot turned off. Increase the volume trim pot till you see the first + horizontal/vertical setting.

There is still room to boost if you need to. Set to taste. Sounds amazing, and offers variety to the included FAS wahs. I don't hear any tone loss either with the additional pedal in line.
I set mine up last night, with the volume pot about halfway it sounds phenomenal!! I bumped up the 2 lowest EQ frequencies just a hair too........love the sound I'm getting out of it!

Are you guys running the Wah in a normal setup as in: GUITAR----WAH----FX8 INSTRUMENT IN -- (Using 4 cable method)?

Yes, that's how I have mine. Ive also since this post, changed my internal jp vol to half way, and in turn turned down my out pre. As it clipped just a touch..

Back
Top Bottom