Dunlop DVP1 modification

volt

Inspired
Hi,

to complete my new MFC-101 I modded two Dunlop DVP1 pedals for use as expression pedals. The new steel band drive was tempting and I think these pedals are not only rugged but looking nice, too. Because the DVP1s are actually volume pedals and come with a logarithmic 250k pot, they won't work without a little mod.

So at first I removed the pot and the small PCB which holds three jacks (IN, OUT, TUNER).

IMG_1.jpg

I put a Neutrik NRJ6HF-1 into the hole left by the former IN jack. The other two holes got covered with a small aluminium sheet. While I was at it, I decided to drill a hole into the aluminium sheet, just at the center of the position of the former TUNER jack, and fitted it with a mini toggle polarity reversal switch. The lever of this switch was much too long and had to be shortened to not protrude the pedal chassis.

IMG_6.jpg

Note: When you have a look inside the pedal, the position for an additional push down switch (e.g. like the one on the Mission Engineering SP1) seems already to be marked. If I had use for such a switch, I think the required hole could easily be drilled out and the original OUT jack's position could be filled with another Neutrik NRJ6HF-1 or the like.

The hardest part was to find an adequate replacement pot which would not only meet Fractal Audio's specs for expression pedals but also fit into the DVP1 without modifications. Well, I did not really find a pot that met all requirements perfectly. In the end I decided for a Dunlop Hot Potz ECB 24C which also seems to be used by Mission Engineering. Because it also is a Dunlop pot I at least expected it to fit into the hole of the original mounting plate... but the diameter of this hole is a tininess to small (about 0.5mm ...) so I had to enlarge it slightly. Further difference between the ECB 24C and the original pot: The ECB 24C has no locking style bushing. This feature is helpful to prevent spinning of the whole pot when only the shaft should turn. I cut a washer of a 1mm aluminium sheet and punched a "locking nose".

IMG_2.jpg

After temporarily assembling the pot to the pedal chassis and experimenting a little what beginning position of the pot would work best, at last the washer got sticked to the pot with double-sided adhesive tape.

IMG_3.jpg

Installing the prepared pot and its mounting plate into the pedal chassis

IMG_4.jpg

and wiring the components finished the job on the hardware.

IMG_5.jpg

Now I am tinkering with the idea of getting decals for an appropriate re-labeling...

Good stuff! May I ask why you replaced the pot instead of just compensating with a resistor?

Good stuff! May I ask why you replaced the pot instead of just compensating with a resistor?

I did not have the possibility to properly measure the curve of the original pot. Furthermore I thought it would be too time consuming to experiment with different resistor values - not knowing if I would reach the aims of a more or less linear pot (I know the ECB 24 C also is not perfectly linear) and at once a total resistance between 10k and 100k. In contrast the ECB 24 C is known to work.

EDIT: Also some time ago I had been reading on http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html that the resulting value of a logarithmic pot to which resistors have been added to achieve a linear taper can fluctuate as it is turned and that this might be a problem with DC applications. I think the MFC uses DC at the expression pedal ports (I could be wrong) and measures the return voltage, so the mentioned fluctuation might be a problem, too.

Last edited:
Really nice work. I am a fan of the DVP1 myself and was thinking of running two with DB instruments easy expression converter cables for my MFC when it comes. I am using that setup right now for wah on my G-system and it works great. I love the thought of the Mission spring pedal for wah and I know the Missions are highly regarded. I watched the videos on Mission's website regarding tension adjustment and the pedals seem a little whimpy. The DVP1 is like a sherman tank.

Back
Top Bottom