Duncan Powerstage 'power' amp questions

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
I've just sent these questions to Duncan also.
Waiting for a response.

So, all the Powerstage amp literature on their web site shows a guitar (or the output of a pedal board) plugged directly into the input of the PS.
Can it also handle Line Level signals like those put out by a preamp like the AFX?
Based on comments here in this forum, the answer appears to be, yes.
But the owner's manuals for these products do not mention any of this.

Also...
If the EQ is left flat (or is defeated by the switch), are these considered to be amps with a flat hi-fi ('FRFR') response?
I'm thinking of mounting a PS200 to one of my 1x12 cabs with Velcro for a simplified grab-n-go setup.
But the PS200 needs to be able to handle the level from my Axe0-FXII.

Thanks in advance.

I guess the answers would be yes...you plug the PS from the AX3 output to the input of the PS. It is basically in "flat mode" with everything set at 12. I do not think you can take the EQ out when it is sent to a speaker if I remember correctly. I think the switch was just for the DI or Headphones...some odd like that which didn't make much sense to me att.

I just got a response from someone at Duncan.
He says that the PS inputs are wired for instrument level only.
He says that the people using them with modellers simply adjust the output volume of the modeller to adjust to the PS' input.
I'll have to look at the AFXII manual, but I think that only the Out 2s are capable of instrument level.
Which won't be a problem because I usually use the Out 1s for an FRFR feed and the Out 2s for my pwr amp + cab feed.
He also wouldn't say 'FRFR', 'flat', or 'audiophile' when describing the specs of the PSs.
I guess I'll never know until I try one.

Are you talking about a III?
If so, are the Out 3s designed specifically for instrument level signals?
FWIW I'm on a II.
I think the deal with the II's Effect Loop Block is that you need to lower the Main fader within the Block to achieve instrument level at the Out 2 jacks.
Currently, I have it at 0db, in the middle, and that pairs with the Input of my GT1000 perfectly.
So I guess that 0db on that fader is 'Line Level'.
I sure wish the owner's manuals for these things were more specific about this stuff.
It would save a lot of head scratching and Googling.

Re: Nothing being flat...
At least some companies attempt it. lol
Some get closer than others.
But you have to at least try. :)

Yes I am talking about the III. I don't know about the II. I would say I used the SD with all of the outputs on the AF3 and never had to adjust anything.

I just got a response from someone at Duncan.
He says that the PS inputs are wired for instrument level only.
He says that the people using them with modellers simply adjust the output volume of the modeller to adjust to the PS' input.
I'll have to look at the AFXII manual, but I think that only the Out 2s are capable of instrument level.
Which won't be a problem because I usually use the Out 1s for an FRFR feed and the Out 2s for my pwr amp + cab feed.
He also wouldn't say 'FRFR', 'flat', or 'audiophile' when describing the specs of the PSs.
I guess I'll never know until I try one.

well they might say instrument input level only but I haven’t found that.. I use line level out of my axe and it sounds better and the 170 can keep up with a loud drummer ONLY if you juice the input. It’s stays clean very loud.

Mine seems to work fine, yes it is "flat" with the EQ at neutral. However I would recommend against using them for other various reasons. The design is made to be put on top of cabs with pedal type setups. Putting it in a rack is too much of a hassle and aesthetically, looks kinda retarded. The inputs being on the front is not conducive to a rack setup. The EQ if you are using an Axe, you may use once or twice when you first get it, then you will never ever touch them again (at least I haven't for like 2 years)

Just get something else. Trust me. Crown, Matrix, (Fryette if you want it NOT to be neutral).

The powerstage also don't even have a switch for the impedance. Honestly a crappy design all around in my opinion. Way overpriced too. AFAIK they literally just buy those ice power modules and put them in a pretty horribly designed box.

I use mine right out of Output 1 of my FM9, no issues on my end at all.

I also don’t even bother keeping the EQ flat, that’s what stops me from tweaking presets at gigs, I just adjust the EQ to the room. I also have a TC Electronics BAM200 I do the same thing with, I run the cabs in stereo from the FM9. I actually prefer the TC over the Duncan but that’s just subjective stuff.

well they might say instrument input level only but I haven’t found that.. I use line level out of my axe and it sounds better and the 170 can keep up with a loud drummer ONLY if you juice the input. It’s stays clean very loud.
I've got a PS-700. Same thing. Running at 4 dBu it really kicks out the dBs, but stays clean. At unity or -10 dBv there is significantly less volume.

I run Output 4 from the AFX III into a 170 into a Celestion F12-X200 8 ohm speaker. I have O4 all the way up and use the PS’ volume to adjust my level. It’s usually around noon to 3 o’clock depending on the gig. It stays clean. My eq varies but normally the bass is 11 o’clock, mid 1 o’clock and treble 11-noon. The eq is very powerful.

I use mine right out of Output 1 of my FM9, no issues on my end at all.

I also don’t even bother keeping the EQ flat, that’s what stops me from tweaking presets at gigs, I just adjust the EQ to the room. I also have a TC Electronics BAM200 I do the same thing with, I run the cabs in stereo from the FM9. I actually prefer the TC over the Duncan but that’s just subjective stuff.
BAM200 is a great little amp for sure.

Back
Top Bottom