Duncan Pegasus PUP in Mahogany Guitar

OmegaZero

Inspired
I posted this in the Seymour Duncan forum as well, but thought perhaps folks here might have some input.

I previously owned a guitar with a Pegasus/Sentient set and really liked the tone. That guitar was inherently pretty bright - ash body, maple neck, maple fretboard. My current guitars are a bit more balanced tonally - mahogany bodies, flame maple tops, maple necks, rosewood fretboards. The '59/JB sets I'm currently using sound alright, but there's a bit of midrange honk from the bridge that I’m constantly trying to dial out. Also, cleans from the neck could be a bit glassier and better string separation under high gain would be a plus as well. I’m never plugged directly into an actual amp, so output level isn’t much of an issue to me. To be honest, a little less output would probably be good so I don't have to constantly dial back the input trim. I’m worried the added low end of the Pegasus will be too muddy though, given these guitars are already a bit beefier sounding. Does anyone out there have a Pegasus in a full-bodied mahogany guitar? I’m not really looking for suggestions on other pickups - just thoughts on using the Pegasus/Sentient set in this situation. Thanks!

So is this a stupid question, or is no one using these pickups in similar guitars? I've listened to the various comparisons on the web. Just finding it hard to really gauge the relative amounts of mid-bass and bass between the JB I have an the Pegasus. From what I gather the sentient actually has a little less low end than the '59, so that may not be an issue.

I had a Pegasus 6 string bridge version in a mahogany/maple top, maple/walnut neck guitar, and didn't like it.
But, then I put it in an ash guitar, and still didn't like it.

So, there you go, it's just too subjective.
I personally like the fuller sound of the black winter.

Just to report back in case anyone is interested - the Pegasus / Sentient set sound awesome in my guitar.

I had a Pegasus/Sentinal combo in a Schecter Loomis 7, which is ash or alder w/ maple fretboard...while it was way better than the stock EMGs, I never gelled with the guitar as a whole and never did get a sound that I really enjoyed. Can't say it was the pickups or the guitar, but I would lean more towards the guitar. Regardless, glad you are enjoying the pickups.

Back
Top Bottom