DUNCAN DISTORTION PICKUP---for Metal?

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
Hi, just wondering out there if anyone is using a seymour D distorion (I think sh 6 or tremb. 6) for Metal.

I Just picked up my 1990 Jackson soloist with stock Jackson pickup and not ONE of my presets sound good (all muddy); I clearly need a brighter pickup to match some of my other guitars, but Im a bit worried some people say its to harsh on the lead tones? Others say overall its just a great pickup. Thoughts? I like from VH to Testament. I already have emgs, sh5, stock ibanez, liquifire, tone zone, invaders, bc rich stock, in others.

thanks.

I had a DD in my PRS SE Akesson (Mahogany body and neck, ebony board, fixed bridge). Sounded great in that guitar for just about all genres of metal. One thing I really liked about that pickup is that it sounded good for both rhythm and lead, which is rare. It also had good dynamics, which is rare for high output pickups. It is bright, but I never found it harsh in that guitar (probably because of all the mahogany). Overall, it was just a good pickup, more versatile than what most people think.

In a Soloist I have a feeling it might be too bright (at least for me). Hard to say, though. Sometimes pickups really surprise you. You end up with something totally different than what you thought you would. The only way to know is to try them.

I have a D.Distort pup in a start I built.That guitar also has a scalped neck and a coil tap to split the coil.I love it.I think its great for sabbath/maiden type metal tones.

I've got a Jackson Dinky DKMG, which obviously is not a Soloist, but compared to other guitars, it sounds massively warm and has no bite at all. I tried a lot of different pickups in it, including SD TB-5 (Custom), TB-6 (Distortion); DiMarzio CrunchLab and DActivator, and none of them made the guitar "snappier". I almost don't use that guitar for rhythm anymore ... for silky leads however, it is awesome.

I´ve been a SH-6 user for a few years, but I recently dicovered Lace´s Drop and Gain pu´s and gone that route with three of my guitars so far. The Duncans worked well for me but the Laces seem to help me with the slighty harsh tone I got even in my LP.

Last edited:
ps the duncan distortion is incredible versatile for all things rock gain metal. sounds very good with the axe fx right with many of my presets made for other pickups.

I have Seymour Duncan SH-6 pups in every guitar i own...I can play from Money for nothing to Metallica.. I am very satisfied with them trough the years...

Back
Top Bottom