Dumped my Splawn today for these:

rickbarclay

Inspired
The fact that my Splawn QR and cabinet were preventing me from amp and cab modeling was
eating at me so bad I couldn't take it anymore :mad: , so I did what any normal Fractalite would
do, I went out and bought me a pair of Atomic CLR's. Now, everything's 8) .

I got a great deal on the poles--2 for $50. I had to do a bit of cutting to get them to fit, but it's all good now.

They sound really nice. Can't wait for the lady to go to work Friday, so I can crank 'em up. The were a lot easier to
set up than my old 4-cable twist.

Any tips or suggestions would sure be welcome. I'm still a newbie at this. E.G., should I keep the front panel Out 1 and
Out 2 levels all the way up like I did under 4-CM, or is there a different setting I should use? Global settings are a major weakness
for me, so whats an ideal Global setting for Self-Powered Full-Range speakers? Stuff like that, please.

There was no wait to get these speakers. I signed up for the wait list last week, and my order was shipped Friday, I think. Got'em today.
Thank you Mr. Tom King for your quick and trusty service, which included conversations between us, once before shipping, and again today
over a minor problem of my own making.

All those glowing reviews by Cliff weren't just a bunch hype. These boys are loud and clear as a bell. Can't wait to start noodlin'.

Last edited:
$50 for a 15" x 15" square of that stuff! OOOh, I don't think so. My nearest neighbor is a
good mile away, so I don't have outside sound issues. Think I'll pass on that, poly. Thanks
for the hint, though.

We lefties like to think were cool; we even think we reign and rule;
We'll challenge the nearest righty to a duel, only to be proved a bloody fool.
...to be continued

Last edited:
Has NOTHING to do with sound proofing! It's about taming the room reflections. No way to mix in a room like that, for example - because you're hearing the room! If you're just playing guitar though, and not doing any serious recording and/or mixing, then you're right and I'm wrong, it's fine - if your ears can take all that sproing and slapback.

As to Lefties - the science show Radiolab recently had a program on how lefties excel in both combat and sports, in general. In fact, the only reason we may still exist is that we excelled at primitive combat and were prized by da chicks (yes, they do love good fighters, our sad Chimp heritage).
$15 for a 15" x 15" square of that stuff! OOOh, I don't think so. My nearest neighbor is a
good mile away, so I don't have outside sound issues. Think I'll pass on that, poly. Thanks
for the hint, though.

We lefties like to think were cool; we even think we reign and rule;
We'll challenge the nearest righty to a duel, only to be proved a bloody fool.
...to be continued

Thank you Mr. Bob King for your quick and trusty service, which included conversations between us, once before shipping, and again today
over a minor problem of my own making.
Is Bob King, Tom King's (imaginary) relative?

Lol. Sheesh! So much for corpuscollection! I emailed Tom today, too, to thank him and invite him to check out my
rig. Oh, well. I don't think he sounded like a guy who would take offense at such things. My regrets, anyway, Mr. King.

I get what you guys are saying about the soundproofing. I'm not much into recording, though. Have Reaper, but never use it. I
don't even use my Boss looper, which I paid a bundle for. Gotta fix that somehow. My plan is is to build a separate studio,
altogether, after I win the megamillions. My ceiling is really too low for Auralex. I appreciate the concern, though, surely. The
plan about a separate studio building is actually serious. I live on 20 acres down here in the beautiful foothills of North Carolina,
where there are many music fests and small music/pawn shops where a lot of musicians hang out. I know one or two who I might
be able to persuade to help me plan a studio for a dollar or two. I'm overdue to win the lottery. I'm a dreamer.

I think there are some videos out that recommend them be off the floor, although I did notice the feet on the bottom.
So far, my presets are just as noisy with these Atomics as they were with my Splawn amp and cab--but I'm
not complaining, just making a note. I think I remember people saying you get out what you put in, so I guess I need
to put in some less noisy presets. Not easy for me at this stage.

I think there are some videos out that recommend them be off the floor, although I did notice the feet on the bottom.
So far, my presets are just as noisy with these Atomics as they were with my Splawn amp and cab--but I'm
not complaining, just making a note. I think I remember people saying you get out what you put in, so I guess I need
to put in some less noisy presets. Not easy for me at this stage.
The noisier the preset, the more you need to try adjusting the GLOBAL noise gate OFFSET, to fine tune the noise reduction! Worked for me:encouragement:

they look high if sitting down? but looks like a fun place to jam. Hope you have AC up there for those humid NC summers.

They look high from a distance, too but no complaints. My studio is my man cave--and is actually tee-shaped. I love it having owned nothing like it
before. It gets hot, all right, but my lady let's me use the ac on those 90 degree days. When I get hot, I just pretend I'm outdoors in July at a Clapton
festival. ('Bout as close as I'll ever get to one. :) )

Back
Top Bottom