Dump and restore

Minuteman

Is it possible to perform a dump and restore via the AXE FX II? If so, how?

My current configuration

MacBook <=> USB Cable <=> AXE FX II <=> MIDI Cable <=> MFC 101

No one responded, so perhaps I need to re-state my question.

I want to backup my settings on my MFC 101 before I update to the new MFC firmware. I do not own a seperate MIDI interface. Given my configuration below, is it possible to perform the "dump and restore" function where I am dumping to my AXE FX II and restoring from my AXE FX II?

MacBook to USB Cable to AXE FX II to MIDI Cable to MFC 101

I asked the same question (months ago) and nobody responded; so I guess most people create a backup of their MFC-settings with a midi-interface (instead of using the Axe-Fx 2 as a midi-interface).
I will try to find out through G66; maybe they have an answer. I will let you know as soon as possible.

yes, you can use axe II as midi interface to backup settings and update firmware. im on pc so i used midiox, perhaps something else on MAC

check out "cobblers corner" good thread about updating
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/51216-cobblers-corner-help-upgrading.html

Yes I understand how to update the firmware to the MFC-101; but as you suggested is it also possible to follow this procedure and do the opposite (so from the MFC-101 to my PC)?

Yea, with midi cable out from mfc and in to the AXE II and with these steps from another thread

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ocaptainjr2I did this today using MIDI-OX via Midi...don't know if you can do it via ethernet.

Go into the MFC and get to the dump menu (don't push enter to start the dump yet).

Start MIDI-OX, make sure your Midi device is setup and go to View - Sysex. The Sysex windows pops up and then select Sysex - Configure...the very last option has a checkbox for 'save dump directly to file'. Check that box and hit ok.

Click Sysex - Receive Manual Dump. A dialogue box appears to name and choose the location to save the .syx.

Another dialogue box then appears that says how many bytes have been received.

Go back to the MFC and hit enter.

**If the dialogue box stays at 0 bytes, it is NOT working. I struggled with this for a few minutes until I realized that my MFC was set to Expansion (ethernet). I changed the MFC from Expansion to MIDI and tried and again and it worked flawlessly.**

Yea, with midi cable out from mfc and in to the AXE II and with these steps from another thread

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ocaptainjr2I did this today using MIDI-OX via Midi...don't know if you can do it via ethernet.

Go into the MFC and get to the dump menu (don't push enter to start the dump yet).

Start MIDI-OX, make sure your Midi device is setup and go to View - Sysex. The Sysex windows pops up and then select Sysex - Configure...the very last option has a checkbox for 'save dump directly to file'. Check that box and hit ok.

Click Sysex - Receive Manual Dump. A dialogue box appears to name and choose the location to save the .syx.

Another dialogue box then appears that says how many bytes have been received.

Go back to the MFC and hit enter.

**If the dialogue box stays at 0 bytes, it is NOT working. I struggled with this for a few minutes until I realized that my MFC was set to Expansion (ethernet). I changed the MFC from Expansion to MIDI and tried and again and it worked flawlessly.**

Thank you very much for your response. Maybe someone could this copy to the MFC-101 wiki-pages?

Surprised nobody else suggested backing up to the AxeFx's internal flash. It's super quick and doesn't even require a computer.

Surprised nobody else suggested backing up to the AxeFx's internal flash. It's super quick and doesn't even require a computer.

So how do you do it? The replies above appear to apply to those who have a seperate MIDI interface and are using a computer.

So how do you do it? The replies above appear to apply to those who have a seperate MIDI interface and are using a computer.

Hi Minuteman; no this is not the case. I do not have a MIDI-interface and if I understand Mr.Guitarabuse correctly, you are going to use the Axe-Fx2 as a MIDI-interface. See first the how-to on the wiki-page (see: Yeks MFC-101 How-Tos page - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki To upgrade using the Axe-Fx II as a USB-to-MIDI MIDI adapter).
The difference is that now you are sending data from the MFC-101 to your MacBook; so reverse the MIDI-cable connections and set your MIDI-application (for example Snoize Sysex) for incoming data.

Thanks guitargeorge. I will attempt.

If I am not mistaken than the following steps can be taken:

EDITED: I just tested the following procedure and it works.

1. Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer, through USB.
2. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to NONE, and UsbAdapterMode to ON.
3. Power down the Axe-Fx II.
4. Connect the Axe-Fx II's MIDI-IN to the MFC-101's MIDI-OUT with a 5-pin MIDI cable.
5. Power on the Axe-FX II.
6. Power on the MFC-101 by using the MFC-101 adapter for power or use ethernet-cable for this
7. Change the MFC port from EXPANSION to MIDI
8. Go to the DUMP-mode at your MFC-101, but do not press enter yet!
9. Start MIDI-OX (or any other MIDI-librarian), make sure your Midi device is setup and go to View - Sysex. The Sysex windows pops up and then select Sysex – Configure (the very last option has a checkbox for “save dump directly to file”). Check that box and hit ok.
10. Click Sysex - Receive Manual Dump. A dialogue box appears to name and choose the location to save the syx-file.
11. Go back to the MFC and hit enter; wait until the dump has completely finished (another dialogue box appears that says how many bytes have been received).
12. Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II.
13. Remove the MIDI cable.
14. Power on the Axe-Fx II.
15. In the Axe-Fx II's MIDI menu, set SendRealtimeSysex to the desired value, and UsbAdapterMode to OFF.
16. Power on the MFC-101; change the MFC-port from MIDI to EXPANSION (if necessary).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom