Dumbles in Q2?

greiswig

Power User
Wow. Something's changed for the better with the stock Dumbles! Niiiice. One of my go-to patches was one I had set up using the Ford 2 model, but I was using a Fender Super tone stack in it.

Now I don't need nearly as many tweaks to get close to the sound in my head. Really great!

But I'm more puzzled than ever about the differences between some models. The Ford 1 and Ford 2 models, for example. The amp wiki has the following:
  • "The names of the “ODS-100 Lead 2” (has) been changed to “ODS-100 Ford 1” ...to indicate that they are based on the “non-HRM” version of the ODS circuit." But I don't know whether this is with mid-boost on, whether this has the Skyliner stack, etc.
  • "The ODS-100 Ford 2 model is not based on the HRM model with the HRM tonestack removed. Whether or not the model matches any particular Dumble is unknown as we have not been able to procure a non-HRM Dumble yet. The model is based on schematics that were given to us that supposedly accurately represent Robben Ford's Dumble." Again, not sure what the tone stack is by default.
...and basically I'm curious what the differences are between these two in particular. The wiki has great historical notes on their iterations, but things have become a little confusing to me because of it.

...and I think I noticed that the default tube type has switched to 6L6s from EL-34s? Or is that just for the Ford 2 model that is based on an idealized circuit diagram?

I'm going to be following this discussion closely, although I've not installed Q2 yet.

I'm a "D-sound" guy, who's found that the closest thing to what I like so far (when using Q1.06) is the Carol-Ann OD2 amp. I've wondered why I wasn't as pleased w/ what I was hearing from the various ODS amps. Gonna have to go back and check them now that Q2 is here.

I'm also curious about what may have happened with my fairly elaborately tweaked CA OD-2 patch!

Last edited:
I'm cutting a little demo this morning with the two stone and a strat.

It has improved for me too. Using one of the ML 2x12 American cab IR's.

So does anyone know any of the details and differences I asked about regarding Ford 1 and Ford 2?

The information in the wiki is horribly out-of-date.

ODS-100 Ford 1: Dumble "#102" with PAB On
ODS-100 Ford 2: Dumble "#102" with PAB Off
ODS-100 Ford MD: Dumble "#102" with PAB On and Mid switch On.

I actually guessed that based on the gain differences and the prominent mids in #1! Thanks, Cliff.

IIRC the preamp boost just lifts the ground leg on most or all of the tone stack. But my build does not have a mid switch, and I don't remember what it did. Time to dig out some schematics.

Last edited:
I actually guessed that based on the gain differences and the prominent #1! Thanks, Cliff.

IIRC the preamp boost just lifts the ground leg on most or all of the tone stack. But my build does not have a mid switch, and I don't remember what it did. Time to dig out some schematics.

The Mid switch, sometimes labeled "Deep", shorts out the 390 pF cap in the tone stack (which is in series with a 2 nF cap). All that is left then is the 2 nF cap. With PAB active this lowers the lowcut frequency.

I'll have to go re-try the Dumbles. Regardless, the CA-OD2 is the feline's posterior. Love that amp in Q2.

The Mid switch, sometimes labeled "Deep", shorts out the 390 pF cap in the tone stack (which is in series with a 2 nF cap). All that is left then is the 2 nF cap. With PAB active this lowers the lowcut frequency.

Thanks mucho! And again, thank you for your continued pursuit of perfection.

The information in the wiki is horribly out-of-date.

ODS-100 Ford 1: Dumble "#102" with PAB On
ODS-100 Ford 2: Dumble "#102" with PAB Off
ODS-100 Ford MD: Dumble "#102" with PAB On and Mid switch On.

Here you have this nice PDF from user MDProd with updated information, Dumble OD Special in page 15:
http://archive.axefx.fr/Docs & Manuals/FAS_Amps Models Gallery Qu 2.00.pdf

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fas-amps-models-gallery-more-qu-2-00.105944/

I'd still love to know which Dumble amps have which tone stacks as the default...Skyliner, Classic, etc. HRM is a secondary tone stack into the overdrive channel is all, iirc.

Back
Top Bottom