Dumble update?

Hello all,

I can't say what the differences between one or another specimen of a particular ODS should be, since I've only played through one real one... but I can say that the model in the Axe-Fx II is a staggeringly accurate reproduction of the amp that Cliff based it on.

I played the latest and greatest version of firmware 10 last night, in a room side by side with a number of the actual amps it has models based on. The Plexi and Two Stone among others really impressed me. I got lost for hours the other night in the DOUBLE VERB. I can't wait for you to try this. If you love amps, you are going to freak out with this release.

As I'd go through models, I'd dial in using two knobs (DRIVE and LEVEL, plus maybe a touch of tweak to TREBLE). In every case, with the footswitch hooked up to toggle between the model and the Axe-Fx, I'd go back and forth, play a bit, go back and forth some more, then ultimately I would need to LOOK to see which one I was playing through. There is a dimensionality in the new firmware that will mark it as a true milestone.

Say what you will, but I'll also add this. In two cases where there was a slight difference, I'd characterize the difference as how "easy" it was to play, with the Axe-Fx actually beating out the real amp. I didn't adjust COMPRESSION more towards zero to see if things equalled out, but that would have been my instinct. Honestly, I'd enjoy pushing it the other way, but I am a compression kinda player.

The main amp in question does NOT sound like the Kaiser by the way! It sounds like a great amp. Personally, I prefer other amp tone "styles" (or to buy a few nice cars) but clearly this amp has had its secrets incorporated into the model to a degree that would not have been possible with previous firmwares.

I'll say one thing for myself though: even on a Dumble, I'm still a fumble.

Dear readers, we are ramping up for one hell of a company-wide release.

Tease... ;-)

The double Verb according to cliff is based on my old 60's BF Twin Reverb.

I have posted this before -- but I have owned a lot of BF Fender Twins - all from the 60's (fender should have stopped then - because IMHO they had made the perfect amp).

The 60's Twin that cliff got is one of the best (if not the best) of 60's BF Twin Reverbs I have owned (and I owned few).

That old gal has seen the inside of many a honky-tonk, and she has had her share of whiskey and beer!

Hello all,

I got lost for hours the other night in the DOUBLE VERB. I can't wait for you to try this. If you love amps, you are going to freak out with this release.

The double Verb according to cliff is based on my old 60's BF Twin Reverb.

I have posted this before -- but I have owned a lot of BF Fender Twins - all from the 60's (fender should have stopped then - because IMHO they had made the perfect amp).

The 60's Twin that cliff got is one of the best (if not the best) of 60's BF Twin Reverbs I have owned (and I owned few).

That old gal has seen the inside of many a honky-tonk, and she has had her share of whiskey and beer!

Sounds like my kinda gal!

Over the last 30+ years I've bought a huge amount of musical gear. What differentiates the Axe from all the others, is the fact that even if I've got my Axe more than a year ago, I am as enthusiastic as the day the UPS guy dropped the box at my door. Can't wait for the next major release. v10 + brand new Edit in a huge combo? That would be super awesome!

@Sashman77, I know exactly what you mean. The other major difference for me is that no matter what amp I had at the time, I would always get tone envy when I heard something new and different. Now, when I hear something I like, I just figure out how to dial it in. It's awesome!

There is a dimensionality in the new firmware that will mark it as a true milestone.

Wow this is exciting...while I've been quite happy playing v9 I must say these kind of comments stir the imagination...cool, can't wait...

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd enjoy pushing it the other way, but I am a compression kinda player.

The main amp in question does NOT sound like the Kaiser by the way! It sounds like a great amp. Personally, I prefer other amp tone "styles" (or to buy a few nice cars) but clearly this amp has had its secrets incorporated into the model to a degree that would not have been possible with previous firmwares.

I'll say one thing for myself though: even on a Dumble, I'm still a fumble.

Dear Matt

The only difference between a dumble overdrive special and most other amplifiers is the concept behind it! When you said "..but I am a compression kinda player" - you understood the main difference between the d-style concept to other amps. The D-Style concept is: feeding a clean preamp with tonestack into a overdrive circuit but "not" the usual way - just bring out the texture of the clean preamp into the OD circuit - not the whole thing, that would usually drives the 2nd valve (the one we can change triode plate frequency on both triode stages in our AxeFx II) into the overdriven tone area! And of corse - it add a lot of compression too.

So what's the fuzz? A dumble is a very touchy and high sensitive amp, when it comes to overdriven tones - it's one of the most open wide sounding amp concept I am aware of! This is not made for all kind of styles of music, not for all players and it's not the holy grail of tone - it's just another great way to amplify an electric guitar! :D

The ODS in the box was inspired by the Bludotone Ojai - according to most web sources one of the closest clones to the RF-dumble. IMO: I like the older styles of d-style amps much better - different clean stages, different biasing of the clean triode stages, than on newer dumbles....

Cliff's machine is #213 - I assume, it's fitted with an HRM post OD tonestack (which I don't like either....)

Cheers
Paco

Last edited:
... In every case, with the footswitch hooked up to toggle between the model and the Axe-Fx, I'd go back and forth, play a bit, go back and forth some more, then ultimately I would need to LOOK to see which one I was playing through. There is a dimensionality in the new firmware that will mark it as a true milestone.

I assume you were toggling between the AMP and the Axe-Fx, otherwise I have an idea why they sounded identical :)

Matt, thanks for the inspiring post! Could you describe how you were monitoring? (for both amps and Axe-Fx models).

Dear Matt

The only difference between a dumble overdrive special and most other amplifiers is the concept behind it! When you said "..but I am a compression kinda player" - you understood the main difference between the d-style concept to other amps. The D-Style concept is: feeding a clean preamp with tonestack into a overdrive circuit but "not" the usual way - just bring out the texture of the clean preamp into the OD circuit - not the whole thing, that would usually drives the 2nd valve (the one we can change triode plate frequency on both triode stages in our AxeFx II) into the overdriven tone area! And of corse - it add a lot of compression too.

So what's the fuzz? A dumble is a very touchy and high sensitive amp, when it comes to overdriven tones - it's one of the most open wide sounding amp concept I am aware of! This is not made for all kind of styles of music, not for all players and it's not the holy grail of tone - it's just another great way to amplify an electric guitar! :D

The ODS in the box was inspired by the Bludotone Ojai - according to most web sources one of the closest clones to the RF-dumble. IMO: I like the older styles of d-style amps much better - different clean stages, different biasing of the clean triode stages, than on newer dumbles....

Cliff's machine is #213 - I assume, it's fitted with an HRM post OD tonestack (which I don't like either....)

Cheers
Paco

Paco,

if I can chime in, all well said. D-Style fans are all hoping providence allows Cliff to eventually get multiple D-Style amp styles programmed/modeled into the AXE II, over time... Like you, like to see the older, Dave Lindley model included as well as both versions of Steel Stringer out there (SRV version, Eric Johnson version) as well...Be good to hear how his HRM model compares to current Ojai model tone-wise too.

It helps him to have ACCURATE schematics (not easy to come by) and an actual D amp for the tone matching/MIMIC process, and not many owners want to share their $50,000+ amps out, but who knows? Maybe some such notable D-user/artist will read this and get with the program!
:)

I'm excited per Fractal FaceBook Page that they have now shot an IR of a 4X12 Dumble Cabinet, using both the cab's EV SRs and EVLs, that will come out to users at some point.

Last edited:
Firmware 10 release notes: "The ODS-100 models were redone and matched to a Dumble Overdrive Special, S/N 0213. This particular amp is a 100W “HRM” version. The lead channel was matched with the preamp bypass (PAB) engaged which bypasses the input tone stack. The lead channel was also modeled with the Drive control at approximately 7.0. The Input Trim parameter can be used to increase or decrease the drive. Note that the clean channel has a bright cap on the Master Volume. This causes the tone to get brighter as the MV is reduced and vice-versa"

Okey......the PAB (originally called Pre Amp Boost) stays engaged in the Lead Channel at anytime. It's bypassing the bass and treble controls in the tone stack, while the mid control remains there....

This leads me to the question "how to put a post gain tonestack (HRM is some called a preset gain tonestack) into pre position, when it's bypassed there, without getting a collision of parasite loads, capasitives, impedances etc. that will change the characteristics of the clean stage (which has a huge influence on the characteristics of the lead sound)?

It would be a nice feature to activate/deactivate the PAB with the boost switch? Just some thoughts.....

I'm glad to test drive the new ODS "very soon" ;)

Back
Top Bottom