Dumble ODS

bjjp2 - that sounds great man. What sort of settings/cabs where you using on that?

What I did for the my second clip was follow MaxTwang's (from TGP) OD and TMB settings, play lighter and turned up the reverb (someone suggested more of it). That's it. Everything else was the same; note the Drive pedal kicked in about 1/2 way through and I rode it a bit with an expression pedal to up the output level of the OD, not the overdrive level. It's a neat thing I do a far amount of in 'real' life on gigs. The actual drive setting on that is zero; it's all about a boost into the amp.

Any more suggestions, insights, thoughts to further the discussion of these sorts of tones - don't be shy. This thread wasn't posted to get 'hey, that's great' or 'hey, that sucks!' or 'modelers rule/suck!' comments and I've nothing to prove. On this one, I am looking for conversation, experience and guidance. I'm NOT a Dumble guy; so I'm in learning mode on that front.

bjjp2 - that sounds great man. What sort of settings/cabs where you using on that?

Thanks Scott. Again, that was many Axe versions ago. Not even sure I still have the patch. Was ODS-Lead with the stock EV cab. Had bright switch on as I recall. Guitar with HB's, probably a PRS.

I know Vinni very well and have used V-picks on/off since he first started. The pick 'chirp' and attack is a serious love/hate thing for me. The last year I've been using the 1.0mm Dunlop Tortex "Blackout" picks and really like them. I ran with V-Picks and a lot of the thicker stuff - Red Bear "extra heavy" - for some time too.

Hey Scott. Another V-Pick guy here. I wholeheartedly agree on the love/hate pick chirp thing. If you like V-Picks (and I do) you should try Gravity Picks. I have used every kind of pick including, stones, coins, petrified wood, and a bazillion picks people have given me to try out. I still occasionally use V-Picks for certain songs and tones (I'll never be a one pick guy), but since I tried Gravity Picks, the Gravity Pick is my #1 choice. Works like a V-pick but without the chirp. Same great grip and same great roll off the strings. I use 3mm picks. My preference is the Stryker standard size and big mini.

So as not to wander to far off post, the picks make a huge difference in tone. I get much richer tone off the thicker picks. My tired geezer-fingers like the thicker picks, but my geezer-ears love the more complex tone. I get a much richer and more complex tone with thicker picks, including the much sought after flip. Anyway, if you have not tried Gravity Picks, I highly recommend them. Tell Chris I sent you.

Hey Scott. Another V-Pick guy here. I wholeheartedly agree on the love/hate pick chirp thing. If you like V-Picks (and I do) you should try Gravity Picks. I have used every kind of pick including, stones, coins, petrified wood, and a bazillion picks people have given me to try out. I still occasionally use V-Picks for certain songs and tones (I'll never be a one pick guy), but since I tried Gravity Picks, the Gravity Pick is my #1 choice. Works like a V-pick but without the chirp. Same great grip and same great roll off the strings. I use 3mm picks. My preference is the Stryker standard size and big mini.

So as not to wander to far off post, the picks make a huge difference in tone. I get much richer tone off the thicker picks. My tired geezer-fingers like the thicker picks, but my geezer-ears love the more complex tone. I get a much richer and more complex tone with thicker picks, including the much sought after flip. Anyway, if you have not tried Gravity Picks, I highly recommend them. Tell Chris I sent you.
After reading this thread I ordered a V-Pick sampler pack (for the Jazz III replacement). Those are expensive enough . . . but Gravity's are $10 per pick for the Edge or Stealth (Jazz III equivalents)! :shock As fast as I usually use/lose picks, I'm not even going to bother trying those for fear that I'll like them too much - I'm used to buying Ultex Jazz III's in bags of 24 for $10 :lol

Here is my Dumble Amp Patch. Created it the day I learned a real Dumble Amp was modeled.

I think the biggest trick to these amps to to keep the gain lower.

Dumble doing Ford Style

Also, the Patch is free to try out. Download it here at my patch website:

PATCH DOWNLOAD

IMO the best Dumble patch out there. I've strapped on a Tele and I'm blown away by the response of the patch. I've used this for Cliffs Of Dover too, but with a few twiddles too obviously. :)

What I notice is that the guys that go for these tones (the artists I have worked with) play very lightly, almost delicately and that seems to be the norm for these sorts of tones. I think that is essential to the entire experience going for these details and one that some might overlook when investigating them.
That's some of the best analysis I've seen on this whole phenomenon. When you play with a light touch, all kinds of possibilities open up. Hammer-ons and pull-offs can be at the same levels as your pick work. Subtleties of how you work the string against the fret can become sonically significant. Small differences in how you work the pick can make a big difference in the sound. The influence of your technique is magnified. As a side benefit, it really stands out when you dig in.

I am too heavy handed and club fisted to play with the nuance necessary to draw out the subtle nature of these sorts of tones - fully admitted.
Fully fixable, too, my brother, if that's where your art takes you. Next time you're someplace where your volume is necessarily limited, and you have to play quietly (say, at church during rehearsal, when you want to noodle while a conversation is going on), noodle away. Only set your volume a little bit higher than is appropriate. That'll force you to play lightly. You'll be surprised what comes out. :)

Back
Top Bottom