Dumble ODS

I know Vinni very well and have used V-picks on/off since he first started. The pick 'chirp' and attack is a serious love/hate thing for me. The last year I've been using the 1.0mm Dunlop Tortex "Blackout" picks and really like them. I ran with V-Picks and a lot of the thicker stuff - Red Bear "extra heavy" - for some time too.

Medium Pointed user here!

V-Picks are the crack cocaine of guitar picks!

Very addictive.

I think it was Galo that turned me on to them a few years ago. He was at my house checking out my Bludotone amps.

Tried one and I was done. Regular picks do not feel or sound right to me any more.

There was a discussion that caught my eye from another thread and I posted this in response trying to help that member out. By coincidence, I just dialed this up yesterday for a client and then used it for my purposes (and my own taste) in my own presets, so I thought it might be an interesting discussion point. I am not a "Dumble" guy, expert, or anything of the sort. This is not definative, nor is it intended to be so. Consider this one guy's shot at a certain type of tone that works for him (me) and I thought it might help others to explore what this sort of amp does well.

I had a PM discussion with Scott Lerner last night; his term for this phenomenon is 'harmonic feedback'. I am no expert on the Dumble mystique at all, but due to client requests have had to make a quick study of all the Dumble magic and Lerner is a well known resource and experienced guy with the whole Dumble 'thing'.

Here is my own version of that sort of thing, preset too. Though I tend to go more for the Marshall roar and kerrang personally, this is what I do with the Dumble. Note the gain structure and 'even-ness' across the harmonic range that allows for that sort of natural sustain and 'bloom' when you hold a note. Going for that sustain, even, note chirp and bloom with the Dumble. Note I use two Own Hammer user cabs; the Mashall CB Mix versions of the EV-S T1 Studio Modern in User 13 and EV-L T1 Live Vintage in User 12. You can use the stock versions of those cabs if you do not own the Own Hammer versions. This isn't a direct attempt to ape any particular tone, just my version of a Dumble type of tone using a humbucker. I generally roll the guitar's volume off to about 8 and ride it to create some sustain and harmonic feedback when necessary

Clip:

Preset: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Dumble ODS SP - by ScottPeterson

Hello Scott,

you use the Cab Mix versions with "T1" - do you have the Atomic Tube Power Amp or the activ CLR's wich is SS-powered. Because I have so fare used from the Ownhammer Pack only the Mixes for "SS" as I thougt T1, T2 and T3 are only to use with a Tube Power Amp?

Thanx and regards

Tony

Hello Scott,

you use the Cab Mix versions with "T1" - do you have the Atomic Tube Power Amp or the activ CLR's wich is SS-powered. Because I have so fare used from the Ownhammer Pack only the Mixes for "SS" as I thougt T1, T2 and T3 are only to use with a Tube Power Amp?

Thanx and regards

Tony

I have the SS powered CLR, but that's of no consequence.

The SS/T1/T2 versions of the Own Hammer IR's apply only to the method used to capture them; there is no such restrictions on using them. Overall I tend to favor the T1 more than the other versions; but like the T2 more than the SS. I am not a fan of the SS versions personally when compared to the T1 or T2 - IMHO, YMMV.

IMHO, you owe it to yourself to check out the T1 and T2 versions if you have not; then decide for yourself which you prefer (you might still prefer the SS versions). All just personal preference though, not any sort of restrictions otherwise with those IR's.

Yes shure, I'm glad that I have more options now - I reeally thoiugt because I use the 12A's the best where to use the SS versions - by the way, very nice Dumple-Sound. I'l give it a go tomorrow, as I'm usually play the Marshall's, Soldano and Messa amps. But for Sessions with a Blues-Band I think this would be very interresting - thanx alot.

these is my attempt - maybe a bit too much gain, I'll redo my sounds tomorrow ;)

PS: one of the two portions is coming from my revoiced mesaboogie studio preamp - tell me which one! :mrgreen (funny, I had revoiced the boogie 10 days before cliff bought his 213). Both sounds features a pre-gain tonestack and similar pot values.....funny, one costs approx 50'000$, the other I got it for free from a client who was very happy with my work on his ENGL Savage 120, so I invested approx. 90$ for caps, resistors and a low noise 12AX7 tube :lol

these is my attempt - maybe a bit too much gain, I'll redo my sounds tomorrow ;)

PS: one of the two portions is coming from my revoiced mesaboogie studio preamp - tell me which one! :mrgreen (funny, I had revoiced the boogie 10 days before cliff bought his 213). Both sounds features a pre-gain tonestack and similar pot values.....funny, one costs approx 50'000$, the other I got it for free from a client who was very happy with my work on his ENGL Savage 120, so I invested approx. 90$ for caps, resistors and a low noise 12AX7 tube :lol

Nice sounds! :)

Ok, I guess that Nr. 2 is the Axe!

Medium Pointed user here!

V-Picks are the crack cocaine of guitar picks!

Very addictive.

I think it was Galo that turned me on to them a few years ago. He was at my house checking out my Bludotone amps.

Tried one and I was done. Regular picks do not feel or sound right to me any more.

Agreed. After reading about them in forums for years I decided to order a few. Played with the first V-Pick out of the package for less than a minute and I was sold. I rarely make decisions this quickly when evaluating new gear but this one was a no-brainer for me. Great product! I mostly use the standard 'Tradition' picks. I also use the 'Dimension - Buffed' picks. These two seem to cover all the bases for me.

I did a second version with some suggestions of changes to the gain structure and amp block EQ along with turning up the reverb on the Axe-FX II:

Sounds great Scott!

Has anyone else tried the preset? Tried it last night....output clips hard and all the blocks are zeroed out.

Maybe its all the global blocks?

Sounds great Scott!

Has anyone else tried the preset? Tried it last night....output clips hard and all the blocks are zeroed out.

Maybe its all the global blocks?

Sorry - they are ALL global blocks, that's how I roll. I'll strip all that out and repost it.

Back
Top Bottom