Dumble Note flips

Lovely people over at HC .... :lol

As I said, I don't care (IDC) much about all those haters and "special saucy"-guys. There was much controversy regarding Tag's Dumble at TGP some years ago....
I don't know the people, so I can't tell who said the right thing. HC forum is very rude talking - I'm not a member there.....never will!

John, can you define "flip" for us? In the OP, LVC says it happens when you slur down a whole step (not sure what slurring is). I'm not hearing anything different in the whole-step intervals in the video he posted.

Rex, there is an after-tone, a different sound than the original note that occurs as the note decays. As noted in my post, my PRS gives me a lot of harmonic feedback but also has some great unexpected sounds that occur as the note decays. Sorry I can't do a better job of describing it. It is difficult to use words to describe sounds.

I don't hear it in the video either, but slurring seems to bring out the after-tone for me. I have no clue why. Need a brain like Cliff to sort that stuff out.

I use 3mm thick picks and the girth of the pick may help because I don't get a lot of after-tones with thin picks (which I just don't use anymore). I use Gravity Picks. I prefer the Stryker as it has a more rounded tip than a traditional pick. You know how it is Rex. A lot of ingredients in the tone soup.

Reactions: LVC
Tag is a personal friend and so is the person who purchased the amp from him.

Quinn did not spill all the beans from what I understand -- a lot of misinformation out there!

Additionally, unless you have the original amp on your bench (or one of the few "true" clones Quinn did -- you will not be able to voice amp it correctly

Lovely people over at HC .... :lol

I have the quinn 183 and it was dialed in after it got here .
old glass and the corrected parts made the difference.

Im going to measure the amps out and write the schematics for my amps
as well shoot the IR's

Rex, there is an after-tone, a different sound than the original note that occurs as the note decays. As noted in my post, my PRS gives me a lot of harmonic feedback but also has some great unexpected sounds that occur as the note decays. Sorry I can't do a better job of describing it. It is difficult to use words to describe sounds.

I don't hear it in the video either, but slurring seems to bring out the after-tone for me. I have no clue why. Need a brain like Cliff to sort that stuff out.

I use 3mm thick picks and the girth of the pick may help because I don't get a lot of after-tones with thin picks (which I just don't use anymore). I use Gravity Picks. I prefer the Stryker as it has a more rounded tip than a traditional pick. You know how it is Rex. A lot of ingredients in the tone soup.

Interesting observation on the picks -- I use the V-Picks Medium Pointed which is 2.75mm

Ruby Red Picks, Guitar Picks, Guitar Pick

Interesting observation on the picks -- I use the V-Picks Medium Pointed which is 2.75mm

Ruby Red Picks, Guitar Picks, Guitar Pick

I know Vinny well. I have a lot of V-picks, and still use them. Great picks, great company. I prefer the Gravity Picks as I get the same feel and grip of the V-Picks, but with much less "chirp", especially on the first, second, and third strings. I am very happy with the gravity picks, and pretty much use them exclusively. Vinny tells me that the clear picks have a different tone than the colored acrylics. I don't know about that, but he sure seems to know his stuff, so I guess I'll just take his word for that. One Joisey boy to another, you might give the Gravity Picks a try.

I know Vinny well. I have a lot of V-picks, and still use them. Great picks, great company. I prefer the Gravity Picks as I get the same feel and grip of the V-Picks, but with much less "chirp", especially on the first, second, and third strings. I am very happy with the gravity picks, and pretty much use them exclusively. Vinny tells me that the clear picks have a different tone than the colored acrylics. I don't know about that, but he sure seems to know his stuff, so I guess I'll just take his word for that. One Joisey boy to another, you might give the Gravity Picks a try.

I have both the Ruby and the Clear and they both sound the same to me. :lol

Also when someone comments that the like the "chirp" in my dumble patch -- I don't tell them it comes from my chirping pick:lol

I'd like to check out a gravity pick --- is the standard 3mm original the closest to the medium pointed (V-Picks size I really dig)?

Rex, there is an after-tone, a different sound than the original note that occurs as the note decays. Sorry I can't do a better job of describing it. It is difficult to use words to describe sounds.
Thanks, John. The jury's still our on the "flipping" thing—Google can find only four places where "d_mble n_te fl_p" is mentioned, and two of those are people asking about what they read in the other two places (both of which are based on one person's posts). Everything I've read and heard so far can be explained in terms of note bloom and picking technique...and one other thing that you addressed later in your post:

I don't hear it in the video either, but slurring seems to bring out the after-tone for me...my PRS gives me a lot of harmonic feedback but also has some great unexpected sounds that occur as the note decays.
If it's specific to the guitar, then it's caused by what the guitar is putting out, not by the amp. With what you described, the first thing that comes to mind is the string vibrating against the frets. If you ping a string hard, and look at it in the right light, you can see it vibrating back and forth, and sometimes you can see those vibrations change—get bigger and smaller—as the string rings out and different modes are excited. Depending on string tension, neck relief, fret evenness, and how you pick, those vibrations can meet one or more frets as the vibrations change. That will definitely change the sound. It might be inaudible on a clean sound, prominent on a mid-gain sound, and lost in the dirt on a high-gain sound.

Sliding down the neck emphasizes this. As your fretting finger slides, the string lifts off of what used to be the fret you're playing at. If it's vibrating as it slides, those vibrations can buzz against that fret while the string isn't yet completely free of the fret. And you won't always hear it as a buzz. With the right gain, it can be like picking the string all over again.

You know how it is Rex. A lot of ingredients in the tone soup.
So completely true. It's easy to focus on one aspect and completely forget about all the other contributing factors.

Thanks, John. The jury's still our on the "flipping" thing—Google can find only four places where "d_mble n_te fl_p" is mentioned, and two of those are people asking about what they read in the other two places (both of which are based on one person's posts). Everything I've read and heard so far can be explained in terms of note bloom and picking technique...and one other thing that you addressed later in your post:

Google and the internet in general is not the reference in knowledge - there is a lot of BS going on, especially regarding guitar amp tech vs. sounds specs etc. ;)

Google and the internet in general is not the reference in knowledge - there is a lot of BS going on, especially regarding guitar amp tech vs. sounds specs etc. ;)
That's absolutely true.

I didn't ask Google to tell me what was fact and what was not. I asked Google to tell me what it's heard about the subject. Google told me that it has heard very little, and the information it could find was all derived from the same source.

I just use Jazz III picks
I tried Jazz III's last year after 45 years of playing everything else, just to see what all the hype was about. Now I use them exclusively. They're firm, precise, easy to control and slip-resistant, they wear like iron, and you don't have to pay boutique prices for them.

I have both the Ruby and the Clear and they both sound the same to me. :lol

Also when someone comments that the like the "chirp" in my dumble patch -- I don't tell them it comes from my chirping pick:lol

I'd like to check out a gravity pick --- is the standard 3mm original the closest to the medium pointed (V-Picks size I really dig)?

The standard is closest to Vinny's Tradition. I suggest you call Chris at Gravity Picks and ask him. Great guy. Tell him John from Supernal Endgame sent you. It won't help at all, but at least he'll know you have good friends.

The standard is closest to Vinny's Tradition. I suggest you call Chris at Gravity Picks and ask him. Great guy. Tell him John from Supernal Endgame sent you. It won't help at all, but at least he'll know you have good friends.

Thanks I will do that. I always like to check out new picks.

I tried the Red Bear (expensive) and they did nothing for me.

I tried Jazz III's last year after 45 years of playing everything else, just to see what all the hype was about. Now I use them exclusively. They're firm, precise, easy to control and slip-resistant, they wear like iron, and you don't have to pay boutique prices for them.

Exactly!!!

Asking price for other picks are insane, this Jazz III can achieve anything you could need for almost any music style, but most of it is up to the guitar players technique with the pick.

Back
Top Bottom