Dumble (Ford 2) again....

^^This crap again ^^ You understand it how many fingers am I holding up ?
not the first monkey throwing shit over my fence...

Do not read since you cant understand it anyway... It was meant for humane people that walk upright and understand
not primates who throw shit over the fence....

No reason to get a headache trying to understand just move on.
Thanks for the uplifting words though and do say hello to professor Snape for me..

Did I touch a nerve ?
usually when you get the most flack is right when you are directly over the target.

As I said the truth just burns people up they just roast where they sit like spontaneous combustion..

Do not try to sit at the grownup table or speak while adults are speaking if you cant read or comprehend.
Ask Andy Fuchs about having to send cease and desist letters too the very same person.

He will know who professor Snape is.
I bet he pisses himself laughing when he reads that..

"Beauty is skin deep but ugly is too the fucking bone..."

This mystery Paco amp is not a Dumble circuit at all according too his own words..

Hell yeah....how time goes by....saw this thread today after stepping out of the board for a while. You're on a mission.
But I like to clarify things a bit

As I told you before. I started my experiences "based" on the basic dumble paradigm which is
Rumble.jpg

I'm not using the OD trim in my design - I own a computer controlled valve tester / curve tracer - I can select the preamp tubes to my needs.

So after many months of tweaking and experimenting (recalculating, reading and learning), I learned a lot about details and ended up with an amp design that shares some d-style similarities regarding touch sensitvity, attack and sustain. Without being disrespectful to Mr. D and his basic idea - I would say, I improved the basic idea to my tonal needs and my taste, that's why I'm not talking about a clone. Using my own voicing, my own tone stack, different gain structure and feature set to create that "mystery Paco amp" you talking about in your message. EL34/6V6 based, either 4 or 10 or 30W of power, very simple circuit - single channel design with a huge dynamic range were you can use the volume of your guitar or the pickup selector switch on a LP-guitar to access different "channels". Plus a very musical "pre gain" tonestack, highs which gives you additional sparkling and chime, not being harsh. Lows which fatten up the tone, and not being mushy or farty, mids who let the amp sing. I'm neither using EVM12L or the obvious Celestion G12-65 - I love V30s - my main choise - or even the behated Celestion T-75s, also having great results with Celestion K-100 or even JBL (Altec Lansing) D120s.

What this thread was about was the feel, attack and tonal details, I missed of the D-amp variation with "pre gain" tone stack in the AxeFx. I liked the Quantum fender clean tones very much but had my issues to get this classic d-style feel ( I had the pleasure to test a real D-amp myself years ago, so yes - I know "why" ). So - to be honest, I stopped using the axefx some months (almost a year) ago. Recently I heard about the new Ethos Clean-Fusion II Amp and was very much impressed, so I ordered one which I can use for sessions and home recording on my pedal board. For further gigs, I will play my "mystery Paco amp" which has the feel and touch right which I missed so much over the years.....

Here is a clip of the "mystery Paco amp" (made in early nov 2016, days after I finished prototype #2, last section is from late october 2016)

( a little bit too much low end, I guess this is coming form the bad position of my digital camera in the room, the amp sounds fat but not boomy)

Moderators: Don't worry, I'm stepping out of the board once again.....I just add this post and helped some people with an old patch of mine in another thread. Will maybe post some other video clips, pictures and then I'm gone for good. :) No bad feelings.......

Last edited:
A "woolyfied" TheValve Bimbo 105 combo with 1x12" Celestion T-75 speaker, same sound, touch and feel - 6V6 power amp, huge dynamic range - made for a customer on request. I woolyfied many amps - ENGL, Marshall, Fender, MesaBoogie, TheValve.....even a Roland Jazz Chorus (using solid state components) - they all share the same tone, touch and feel.....

Hell yeah....how time goes by....saw this thread today after stepping out of the board for a while. You're on a mission.
But I like to clarify things a bit

As I told you before. I started my experiences "based" on the basic dumble paradigm which is
View attachment 39942

I'm not using the OD trim in my design - I own a computer controlled valve tester / curve tracer - I can select the preamp tubes to my needs.

So after many months of tweaking and experimenting (recalculating, reading and learning), I learned a lot about details and ended up with an amp design that shares some d-style similarities regarding touch sensitvity, attack and sustain. Without being disrespectful to Mr. D and his basic idea - I would say, I improved the basic idea to my tonal needs and my taste, that's why I'm not talking about a clone. Using my own voicing, my own tone stack, different gain structure and feature set to create that "mystery Paco amp" you talking about in your message. EL34/6V6 based, either 4 or 10 or 30W of power, very simple circuit - single channel design with a huge dynamic range were you can use the volume of your guitar or the pickup selector switch on a LP-guitar to access different "channels". Plus a very musical "pre gain" tonestack, highs which gives you additional sparkling and chime, not being harsh. Lows which fatten up the tone, and not being mushy or farty, mids who let the amp sing. I'm neither using EVM12L or the obvious Celestion G12-65 - I love V30s - my main choise - or even the behated Celestion T-75s, also having great results with Celestion K-100 or even JBL (Altec Lansing) D120s.

What this thread was about was the feel, attack and tonal details, I missed of the D-amp variation with "pre gain" tone stack in the AxeFx. I liked the Quantum fender clean tones very much but had my issues to get this classic d-style feel ( I had the pleasure to test a real D-amp myself years ago, so yes - I know "why" ). So - to be honest, I stopped using the axefx some months (almost a year) ago. Recently I heard about the new Ethos Clean-Fusion II Amp and was very much impressed, so I ordered one which I can use for sessions and home recording on my pedal board. For further gigs, I will play my "mystery Paco amp" which has the feel and touch right which I missed so much over the years.....

Here is a clip of the "mystery Paco amp" (made in early nov 2016, days after I finished prototype #2, last section is from late october 2016)

( a little bit too much low end, I guess this is coming form the bad position of my digital camera in the room, the amp sounds fat but not boomy)

Moderators: Don't worry, I'm stepping out of the board once again.....I just add this post and helped some people with an old patch of mine in another thread. Will maybe post some other video clips, pictures and then I'm gone for good. :) No bad feelings.......

Well, whatever you are up to with that amp design that sounds really very good.

I have a question about a Mesa Mark V that I will pm you about.
If you have any thoughts, would be appreciated.

Paco - good to hear from you again.

While I understand your reluctance now to post on this forum it has to be said you've certainly put your money where your mouth was.

I think it's wonderful to have the knowledge to be able to design an amp from the ground up that gets you the exact sound and feel you desire.

Maybe one day we will be hearing of people chasing the 'P style' amp tone along with all the counter arguments about individual voicings for different owners and no two sound alike etc. The stuff of legends.

Don't hide it flaunt it! Best of luck mate :)

Paco - good to hear from you again.

While I understand your reluctance now to post on this forum it has to be said you've certainly put your money where your mouth was.

I think it's wonderful to have the knowledge to be able to design an amp from the ground up that gets you the exact sound and feel you desire.

Maybe one day we will be hearing of people chasing the 'P style' amp tone along with all the counter arguments about individual voicings for different owners and no two sound alike etc. The stuff of legends.

Don't hide it flaunt it! Best of luck mate :)

Not sure how he put his money where his mouth was, that would've been sending Cliff his schematic and amp. Has that happened?

Btw, thread TL;DR:

Paco: "Cliff, your Dumble amp is wrong. Mine is right."
Cliff: "it's correct to my sources, if you have a different source, let me know. BTW, Dumble amps aren't worth 50k hype IMO"
Carol Ann: "I agree"
Paco: "My source is my ear and professional tweaking. But I never meant to say my amp is a Dumble. It's Dumble inspired. It's more right than your Dumble though."
Cliff: "Uh... Ok. Gimme your schematic and amp, I'll model it."
Tex Axe: "My stories with famous people with Dumbles"
Everyone reading thread: "WTF is this convo"
Paco: "I'm leaving"
Everyone: "come back"
Paco: videos videos videos
Tex Axe: my videos videos videos
1.5 years later...
Paco: "wtf Tex Axe, here's my explanation 1.5 years later"

Last edited:
Ah well ..... let's just call it "Once upon a time in Sesame Street there were three amp designers in a thread looking for the letter D ... not A, not B not even C ..... but D. Then someone else came in and he came very close but it turned out some guy at the corner of the street had actually sold him E ....."

Not sure how he put his money where his mouth was, that would've been sending Cliff his schematic and amp. Has that happened?

It will never happen. I run my own company / professional amp repair workshop since fall 2014, build up everything from ground without money, but a lot of knowledge. I can't send amps to USA for approx. 400$ shipping costs and wait some months/years to get them back in one piece. I once send Cliff a box of chocolate drink instant powder, which costs me over 40$ of shipping costs from europe, but it was ment as a gift back then and I didn't care about how much I paid for it.....I started the Wooly project in early 2015, build a Prototype #1 in august 2015 and a 2nd improved one in september/october 2016 because of the feedback from many players who said they wish for more fast attack and harder clipping but I don't want loose the classic d-style feel.

I work approx. 100-130h a week, repairs and modifications on individual customer request, do a lot of research or build myself some tools, I couldn't afford to buy (such as a cool FFT analyzer/THD-Meter, so I build myself a measurement interface, which I can use on a Focusrite soundcard together with WIN MLS audio software from Dr. Jordan Design,so I can handle voltages up to 600VDC and 200VAC). Within the last 1.5years, I became one of the most popular repair service providers in my country. If I would stay in a messageboard that point on me as I was a believer or a stupid fanboy, I would own nothing, might loosing my pride for a handful of words. That's why I stepped down 1.5yrs ago......

I'm just coming back because of the Hyperspace Echo FX Thread, were they searching for a patch that could simulate the classic Barry Goudreau / Tom Scholz mysterious FX. I once did and because dropbox changed their policies, my patch wasn't available. A friend of mine contacted me via FB saying, they were searching for the file......re reposted it on axechange. Then I saw the thread I had almost forgotten when I searched for my last post on the board...... ;) So what......

My amp is still work in progress - now I'm working on the Mk2 design with a long tail pair phase splitter and class A/B output stage for more power. The Mk1 design is a single ended design..... - also working on the tweakulator project, while improving the design of the preamp even further.......atm, repairs and modifications earning my living, building amps is just an option, not a business plan. If I made them for the public, I made them specially for the players who really want them...not for the masses who like to own them just to own one more......it's a musical instrument, not a throphy or a grail......

My money is in my pocket, to answer your question. If you think it's been easy to start your own company without nothing except your knowledge to earn a living, after loosing your long term job (past 20yrs) and build everything up within 3yrs, become one of the most popular repair and modifications services in your and sourrounding countries, then do it. That's where my mouth is.

PS: https://www.facebook.com/casanovasolutions347/ (you don't have to be a fb-member to watch my blog, it's free for all)

Last edited:
It will never happen. I run my own company / professional amp repair workshop since fall 2014, build up everything from ground without money, but a lot of knowledge. I can't send amps to USA for approx. 400$ shipping costs and wait some months/years to get them back in one piece. I once send Cliff a box of chocolate drink instant powder, which costs me over 40$ of shipping costs from europe, but it was ment as a gift back then and I didn't care about how much I paid for it.....I started the Wooly project in early 2015, build a Prototype #1 in august 2015 and a 2nd improved one in september/october 2016 because of the feedback from many players who said they wish for more fast attack and harder clipping but I don't want loose the classic d-style feel.

I work approx. 100-130h a week, repairs and modifications on individual customer request, do a lot of research or build myself some tools, I couldn't afford to buy (such as a cool FFT analyzer/THD-Meter, so I build myself a measurement interface, which I can use on a Focusrite soundcard together with WIN MLS audio software from Dr. Jordan Design,so I can handle voltages up to 600VDC and 200VAC). Within the last 1.5years, I became one of the most popular repair service providers in my country. If I would stay in a messageboard that point on me as I was a believer or a stupid fanboy, I would own nothing, might loosing my pride for a handful of words. That's why I stepped down 1.5yrs ago......

I'm just coming back because of the Hyperspace Echo FX Thread, were they searching for a patch that could simulate the classic Barry Goudreau / Tom Scholz mysterious FX. I once did and because dropbox changed their policies, my patch wasn't available. A friend of mine contacted me via FB saying, they were searching for the file......re reposted it on axechange. Then I saw the thread I had almost forgotten when I searched for my last post on the board...... ;) So what......

My amp is still work in progress - now I'm working on the Mk2 design with a long tail pair phase splitter and class A/B output stage for more power. The Mk1 design is a single ended design..... - also working on the tweakulator project, while improving the design of the preamp even further.......atm, repairs and modifications earning my living, building amps is just an option, not a business plan. If I made them for the public, I made them specially for the players who really want them...not for the masses who like to own them just to own one more......it's a musical instrument, not a throphy or a grail......

My money is in my pocket, to answer your question. If you think it's been easy to start your own company without nothing except your knowledge to earn a living, after loosing your long term job (past 20yrs) and build everything up within 3yrs, become one of the most popular repair and modifications services in your and sourrounding countries, then do it. That's where my mouth is.

Paco, I didn't mean to demean your work. Your amp work looks very professional, I dig it. And great sounds from your clips as well, it's clear you're passionate. What was your long term 20 year job? Just curious of your background.

I read the whole thread yesterday, found that there was a lot of miscommunication. No one was trying to point on you as a "believer or a stupid fanboy." I think because you're passionate, you misunderstood Cliff and others' words.

Best of luck to you and your business!

Back
Top Bottom