Dumble (Ford 2) again....

The best example would be "Village Feeling" from the album Moon Dancer (©1998) by austrian guitarist "Karl Ratzer" - he influenced me with the D-tone virus!
Go to iTunes and download the track - is worthy a lot! You get the best ODS example with a very very highly skilled and talented guitarist and musician, most people will not know - Karl Ratzer!

This mystery Paco amp is not a Dumble circuit at all according too his own words..

Why the direct comparison to a Dumble amp which is 100 watts ?

Robben Fords amp #102 has 6l6 tubes 100 watts

Pacos amp which by his words has nothing to do with Dumble at all uses 6v6..

I guess the entire world has seen this thread and realized Paco is directly comparing his own amp to Dumble amps which his amp has nothing at all to do with..

Which one is it a Dumble variant or not a Dumble variant using videos with actual Dumble amps
is rather confusing...

I thought you were comparing this to Robben Fords amp which is a Dumble #102

evidently Cliff used a Bludo to model the ojai after.
Blardo worked on Fords amp and then went into production making them
Same with Carlos Santana's amp..

Why Blardo does not call the HPD the Carlos Santana amp voicing vs the EJ voicing is
misleading as well considering the transformer and all the boards were replaced by Dumble after it caught fire while Eric was playing it..

Eric told me that directly too my face when the amp was at Rays for repair..
He then sold it back to the person he bought it from directly for the same price...

Brandon repaired that amp after Carlos bought it and that amp changed hands several times after it was repaired by Dumble so touting that as Eric Johnson's amp is a lie.. Half truth
It once belonged to Ej but sounds nothing at all too what Ej owned.
Thats according to Ej who told me that in person..

Why people cant be truthful is beyond me but let the entire world decide
People who tell the truth must be strange is that the inference here ?

Paco best of luck with the amp I hope its the greatest amp ive never heard..

Then the entire world can know Paco built an amp all on his own that has absolutely nothing to do with Dumble amps yet posts video after video of Dumble amps to compare himself too..

Lets all get real and be truthful here....

Ojai is a Bludotone amp which was ripped off from a Dumble amp #102
HPD is a Bludotone amp which was ripped off from a repaired Dumble amp #5..
voiced for God knows who after it changed hands over and over before Carlos took that bait...
Paco's amp the 6v6 amp has nothing to do with Dumble amps at all.
By his words not mine....

Which is fine but why post videos with Dumble amps and try to pat yourself on the back
For the entire world to see ?

Cant wait to hear this though Im sure it will be very popular in the magic kingdom if you like it and the client likes it more importantly then all the better..

Lets just be truthful that way everyone is clear and not misled..

Thats my only point be truthful...

I tried to send some information through Pacos avatar directly too him in private
I thought thats how you send a private message like on other forums..
Had no idea that would be posted public for everyone to see...

Thats my mistake my bad... There is no such thing as privacy or confidential anymore
everyone is in too much of a hurry to stab the next guy in the back to climb that ladder which leads to fame world wide...

I have seen the world from both sides now...
Its either a Dumble circuit or its not...

Paco says its not so Ill go with that and just wish him the best and his client..

Tough business but there is an ass for every seat according to PT. BARNUM
I am just so grateful Paco came back to save us all...

I can rest now for a second there I thought we might not get another amazing amp
which has nothing to do with Dumble or Robben Ford..

Last edited:
David Lindley's Dumble SSS #3 100 watts.

Some of the parts in this amp are extreamly rare and almost non existent.

This is the crazy bout a mercury amp..
I think you can still buy it for about 200-250 grand..

To be clear it is a Dumble amp....
Still sounds like it too..

;)Eric Johnson with the real #5 Dumble flanged and fuzzed out...

Before it caught fire and all the soul left the amp..
:);)o_O:D:rolleyes:

The flanger he is using is sitting behind me Eric handed it too me
when we traded Super Trem Plexi Marshall amps
I asked about the flanger and he said this is the one he used live...

One of the plexis in this video matter of fact and the flanger..

I have since sold the plexi..

Eric traded up with #10287 to get the JTM 100 which is what Hendrix used at Monterey
I found that amp for him as well..

Again anyone is welcome to ask Eric personally ask him why Bill Johnson at Ray Hennings heart of Texas music could not fix #5.

It should have something to do with all the dark purple epoxy in that amp and the fried transformer.
If you do get to ask him do ask if it ever sounded remotely the same as it did before catching on fire...

HAHAHAHA

I said to Eric at Rays you caught a Dumble on fire and he laughed and owned it proudly and said Yea I guess I did..

The techs were laughing at that as well.. Cause I was kinda guilt tripping him about it and I asked in a very smart ass way..

Ask Eric he is honest simple way to solve that mystery is to ask him...
I know one person that wont ever have the balls to ask him cause his lil bubble would burst wide open if he heard it from the horse's mouth...

He might have to stop lying to the public then but that might effect sales..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh what amp is sitting atop #5 SSS you ask ?
Dumble Odyssey 100 watts its what is driving the power section of the SSS #5.
Because it broke up faster...

It is my belief that was housed in a shell which had MANZAMP stenciled on back.
I asked what was that and Eric said in a cowboy voice cause ya gotta be a real Maaaan to play it
that there is a MANZAMP..

It was an Odyssey head though the shell had MANZAMP stenciled in white lettering on back....

The only Manzamp ive ever seen was a tweed 4 10 amp. I think it was Bonnie Raitt's amp.
Not the sound Eric was after...

Me either... ive been chasing this SSS amp sound since he took delivery of it...
So I did my homework ... By asking the source directly at the time..

Last edited:
Awwww...an overly sensitive Dumbleite......Bless.

'fragile harmonics' come on you've never seen this???.........its a classic, right up there with '12 Angry Men' !!! Maybe not, there was way more truth in that movie.
This is what Cliff was referring to in his post.
Dumbles explanation of a tubes vs transistors is completely bizarre and inaccurate.

Awwww...an overly sensitive Dumbleite......Bless.

'fragile harmonics' come on you've never seen this???.........its a classic, right up there with '12 Angry Men' !!! Maybe not, there was way more truth in that movie.
This is what Cliff was referring to in his post.
Dumbles explanation of a tubes vs transistors is completely bizarre and inaccurate.

OMG

Henry Kaiser is some sort of a comedian? Isn't he?? BTW never heard of him.

Stevie Ray playing #7 at soundcheck..
Hear the difference in a real Dumble vs a Clone ?

I sure do.. #7 had a larger output transformer then 150 watts..
The only reason I know that is I know the person that helped repair it
in Europe he sent the parts to fix it when it broke down..

It was not Dumble either...
The amp made it back from tour and crapped out which is when Srv
was at Rays using the 900 # to speak to Dumble about how he wanted the amp to sound again.

Stevie sent Dumble boxes of live tapes to reference too so on the phone he could say ok at
this mark of the tape give him the minute marks in the specific tapes and Dumble would know
by cueing too that mark what Sound was floating Stevies ship before his amp went out..

#7 had a cathode follower tube..
It would stay clean and loud but break with ts9 or fuzz or Diaz Square face..

I met Ceaser Diaz right down the block from Rays at Radio Shack on south lamar...
Stevie had sent him down for grey curly cables which Stevie felt let less electricity through...
Diaz said you see what I gotta Deal with here and we both laughed..

What he did not realize nor I at the time was curly cables cut alot of high end off the signal
which is one reason Hendrix used them..

So admittedly the joke was on us....
Diaz was there going over all of Srvs amps improving them...
The supers and vibroverb's that is...

Stevie had replaced all the 10s with one 15 in each super.
He could dime the supers then and they would never blow...

I own Srvs old 4 12 cab he gave it too Jack Morgan who was a blues player in the south east...
I was literally nearly sitting down on the cab asking the shop hey you ever get any basket weave marshall cabs
and they said yea the one you are standing in front of...

I turned around and my room mate at the time was working the bench and shot me an evil eye
I spent my rent buying that cab and he knew I was going to do it...

I ate poorly that month... but covered the rent..
Stevies Tech at the time was Zach Berry he was doing all of Srvs guitar work and setups and his roadie
and I asked Zach to fix a 58 strat I owned at the time. He came too the house with all of Srvs guitar in tow and
brought them inside my house while he hand cut a bone nut in my livingroom for the strat.

I got to play #1 and red and scotch that day..
Zach said you must never say a word id loose my job..

I think its ok to share now..

My brother owns the strat and when Clapton was backstage at crossroads in Dallas
He played it and asked to buy it I said my brother would kill me if I sold it..

When I got to brother to meet for dinner he said oh you should have just given it too him..
The vice president of A&R records was there and came over to try and buy the guitar after Clapton played it..

he said name your price right now I said ok 1.5 million dollars he looked at me like I was crazy
I said thats what Clapton is asking for his and he just played mine...

I did not get 1.5 million for it.. But slowhand did get 1.5
Right after that show I see Cream re unite at Royal Albert Hall and on Stage

5 black Strats Somewhere I have the film of Clapton playing my old 58 they asked me to sign a release form
in case they wanted to use that in the documentary and I said of course...

It was not put in the film but I got them to send me the out takes.

All Day long every time id see Clapton with his Manager I had that guitar in a gig bag
and every time I started to even look like I was going to pull it out the Manager said
fuck off...

When I pulled it out after the tribute to Srv that night Jimmy Vaughan and Doyle Bramhall 3 were there
and Clapton was sitting with Hubert Sumlin. I held the guitar out and Clapton said go get that what is that and the manager
said what year is it ???

I said 1958 and he screamed out OH 58.....
I said outloud what thats not old enough for him and Clapton broke out laughing..

all day long they told me to fuck off..
Thinking I had some squire and wanted an autograph..

Fuck me you say ?

The flanger he is using is sitting behind me Eric handed it too me
when we traded Super Trem Plexi Marshall amps
I asked about the flanger and he said this is the one he used live...
do you remember or know what Flanger he used in the studio on High Landrons ? was that an old MXR rack Flanger ? I've heard stories that he actually stacked two Flangers to get that tone...

do you remember or know what Flanger he used in the studio on High Landrons ? was that an old MXR rack Flanger ? I've heard stories that he actually stacked two Flangers to get that tone...

Correct VegaBaby !! two mxr/doubler rack mount flangers..

Eric told me he had spent hours and hours getting them to do the whooshing sound around the room effect ..
The band went to take a break and go eat and "someone" turned the lights off by habit and when they did
the power too the synched flangers went off..

When they came back he had to do that all over again..
NO BODY FESSED UP TO TURNING OUT THE LIGHTS....!
:cool:
*If you want a convincing sound use through zero or through flanger in the axe.

To answer your question Yes I own the one he used live still have it amazingly enough with all this "Hope and Change".
Eric's answer to house burning down tone ala Hendrix....

It just dawns on me one might use the panner and the through flanger to get the whooshing from side to side sound.
I think Eric was trying to get 180 degrees 90 per side to get those synched took days to get right..

I recall Eric telling me the actual song was not very loud when they cut that in the studio...

I think since the SSS #5 did not have an efx loop that the flanger and delay and verb was all post mic.
Fuzz and Flanger could have been before the amp but Im thinking it was post mic...

I was a constant bug asking too many questions but those interrogations paid off..
"We have ways of making you talk..."

Eric told me he had spent hours and hours getting them to do the whooshing sound around the room effect ..
The band went to take a break and go eat and "someone" turned the lights off by habit and when they did

To answer your question Yes I own the one he used live still have it amazingly enough with all this "Hope and Change".

It just dawns on me one might use the panner and the through flanger to get the whooshing from side to side sound.
I think Eric was trying to get 180 degrees 90 per side to get those synched took days to get right..

I recall Eric telling me the actual song was not very loud when they cut that in the studio...

I think since the SSS #5 did not have an efx loop that the flanger and delay and verb was all post mic.
Fuzz and Flanger could have been before the amp but Im thinking it was post mic...

I was a constant bug asking too many questions but those interrogations paid off..
thanks for the insights ! love reading your stories !

Given you seem to know Eric, ask him to tell you the story of Dumble tweaking his amp at his place. It's pretty funny and involves many trips to Radio Shack and McDonalds.
I did some amp work with Eric and sold him an amp back in 06 and spent time in his studio in Austin. The most surreal moment when one of your guitar heroes hands you his Strat and says 'Heey Al, try my overdrive rhythm tone, and tell me what you think!'........

Back
Top Bottom