Dumble (Ford 2) again....

Jay was a fountain of loudspeaker expertise that was often useful, but more so his knowledge superiority battles were very entertaining. At least for those of us who are near impossible to offend.
Nah. You just had to know how to keep out of his way.

What did Jay do, Patronize himself to the point he fell out with himself ?
The allusions were that he disagreed about something off-forum with Cliff. Then he excused himself from Cliffs forum. Nuff said.

If anyone wishes to read more of him, he's still on TGP.

Last edited:
I tend to avoid anything that I know is going to upset me.
Words to live by. I've taken to employing this regimen when browsing Facebook or any other platform where opinion is hurled like propaganda. If I know it's going to wind me up, I delete or avoid it. However, in the case of a thread such as this, I'm both entertained and enlightened by it, because I couldn't really care less about Dumble amplifiers as such. I merely read on with increasing puzzlement, wondering what all the hubbub is about. :confused:

I have contacted Paco from my personal account on facebook. He is coming back. He is just taking time to cool off. Cooler heads prevail. I hope this situation never repeats itself, we should all be friends here. It is about the music after all, not our petty bullshit.

Tex - great post, redaction aside. You are also a valued member to me, much to learn from you. Keep up the participation!

The redacted parts were of no use to list .. Glad Paco is coming back...!
The list just explains the different generations of ODS amps.
Im trying to further understand the signal path of the axe so that I can input my own readings
Ie v1 v2 bright caps Mv caps ect...

I thought input trim might control the resistor tied too v1..
Dumble likes to hide resistors under goop or within the heat shrink.
So I thought perhaps the input trim might be a way to control that resistor hitting v1.

I am still waiting on an answer from Cliff on that...

I'll come back soon, just in case for those who didn't saw my fb-post some days ago.
The new Q1.02 Bludo Ld2 is a step closer to what I'm up to - gain-, tone- (after some tweaks) and feelwise. I love to have the fulll control of dynamics just in my hands, with an amp that is very close build to the breaking poiint where your playing is the trigger for positive feedback. There were certain other amps with that qualities, such as the the mid 90s Fender Tone Master (custom shop build) or as the end 70s Fender "75" for example......

I'll send some stuff to Cliff/FAS soon. Marco (Marcor66) will visit my workshop tomorrow, he's the one who get the prototype of my d-inspired build, which is not a d-clone, but d-inspired! It shares the same basic preamp layout and the divider network. I don't use mojo parts either, standard 715p (I do care for correct polarisation regarding inner/outer foil and other details), standard MF50 resistors, 24mm 3/8" Alpha pots, simple turret board layout as seen in many old mid 60s marshall amps, standard F+T caps and new production tung-sol and jj-tubes. Trannies where made by Hammond Manufacturing. 2xECC83S, 1x6V6GT (could be a EL34B, actually you can choose between the two) and a GZ34 or 5Y3 rectifier tube - not exactly what a d-amp uses. Half of the circuit is calculated (mostly the power supply and output section, DC operation points of each gain stage, rest is worked out by ear.
One thing that most fender bf based builds have in common is too much low end in their tone stack design - the typical d-tone stack takes no exeption here. But with a few tweaks, you can tame the low end responce - in my clip above I use 173Hz for the low cut filter corner frequency. This is something I do by ear only and is the most common thing people want when asking for a real time mod. I don't look at it from the scientistic point, more as a player who want to create a tool for those who share the same love for tone.

IMG_0903.jpg

D-amps were the most misunderstood amps, as most of their fans just search for the perfect RF clone tone - which I'm not into at all!

Cheers (until soon)
P

Last edited:
<<The new Q1.02 Bludo Ld2 is a step closer to what I'm up to - gain-, tone- (after some tweaks) and feelwise. I love to have the fulll control of dynamics just in my hands, with an amp that is very close build to the breaking poiint where your playing is the trigger for positive feedback.>

Hi Paco, glad you are back and I'm glad you like the latest firmware. It's the Bludotone Ojai Lead Channel but with the pre-amp boost off, so you get more of the Skyline tonestack thing, I prefer it it for more refined (rather than going for "unrestrained!") lead playing myself.

I'm hoping Cliff will next add the Bludo Ojai Clean Channel w/out the pre amp boost (the current one with PAB "on" has a lot of gain that is hard to dial back out if you want crisper cleans, and the Blud Ojai clean is among the best I've heard)...

I know Cliff now has some accurate schematics and info needed to G3 a model of a Steel String Singer and 70's Dave Lindley/Lowell George style Dumble as well, but he's pretty busy with other things (like Axe-8) but hopefully he will fit in at some point, so grateful that he has done what he has to date!

Be great if he can model your amp as well, look forward to playing/hearing that one day![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
<<The new Q1.02 Bludo Ld2 is a step closer to what I'm up to - gain-, tone- (after some tweaks) and feelwise. I love to have the fulll control of dynamics just in my hands, with an amp that is very close build to the breaking poiint where your playing is the trigger for positive feedback.>

Hi Paco, glad you are back and I'm glad you like the latest formware. It's the Bludotone Ojai Lead Channel but with the pre-amp boost off, so you get more of the Skyline tonestack thing, I prefer it it for more refined (rather than going for "unrestrained!") lead playing myself.

I'm hoping Cliff will next add the Bludo Ojai Clean Channel w/out the pre amp boost (the current one with PAB "on" has a lot of gain that is hard to dial back out if you want crisper cleans, and I the Blud Ojai clean is among the best I've heard)...

I know Cliff now has some accurate schematics and info needed to G3 a model of a Steel String Singer and 70's Dave Lindley/Lowell George style Dumble as well, but he's pretty busy with other things (like Axe-8) but hopefully he will fit in at some point, i'm so grateful that he has done what he has to date!

Be great if he can model your amp as well, look forward to playing/hearing that one day!
[/QUOTE]

Hmm would the schematics be from an actual Dumble and if so which # ?
We know #4 belonged to David Lindley to begin with and its in Nashville for sale..
#5 was Eric Johnsons amp till it caught fire and the transformers and all the boards were changed out
#6 might have been a pentode SSS and #7 belonged to Srv

SSS #1-4 were all 100 Watt amps
#5 onward were all 150 watt amps if not higher.

@austinbuddy what Steel String Singer schematics would we be discussing here ?
Or are those schematics actually from a Bludo ?

I read the voltages and charted 6 Different Dumble voicings here.
One being and actual Dumble amp.

The others were specific values taken from private amps
after the amps I had made were here or made here
we dialed those in further using vintage glass and known D parts
also vintage that took those amps the extra 40% to sounding spot on.

So Dumble 50 I own is the Lindley George voicing 70s voicing on lead side
and modern clean voicing and it has Mid Knob added by Dumble
2 or 3 other 50 watt up amp voicings..

ODSR was made using current ODS voicing and verb
that was tuned by Dumble in the last 8 years so recent improvements
were done too the one I had made.

Hpd 150 was a bludo clone with 6550s

That leaves Tweedle D amp which is 50s deluxe
and Mega Plx which is of course Marshall flavored.
I know the values from the Tweedle amp and
some things about the mega plx...

I have a recording of the mega Plx somewhere and
Kenny Wayne Shepherd has 3 Dumble mods recently made last year
some of which are recorded so you can hear those individually...

The Tweedle D amp is a 58 tweed deluxe with D mods
So infact aside from Cliff has already done and has those other schematics coming

I did 6 other Dumble style amps and pretty much know whats up on the mega plx and tweedle d amp
I know what irons were used but cant mention that.

I gave my word on that..

What I can say is the 70s dumble voicing I already did
I have one here.

The current ODSR I have here with improved current verb
Hpd 150 I had one sold it..
recorded it for a month straight getting every possible combination of filters and with Fet and Verb
so thats already done..

I cant provide working amps and schematics But I did read the voltages on every amp
which makes 6 I have or had here 5 still here and then the tweedle d amp and mega plx.

That makes 8 more Dumble voicing's done..

If I can get my Dumble builds working correctly I could provide one to Cliff but
I already did it using my ears and inputting what values I do know..

So Ive not bothered with the physical builds lately I got them all done already..
Working smooth around the physical builds...

Thats what ive been doing for the past 4 years..

I love the tone of your modified boogie.

It reminds me a bit of this:

which is one of the best demo of a Dumble posted on the web.

Personally I'd love to see an amp model in the AF2 called Paco's Boogie. If Cliff had the time and inclination, and if you would separate yourself from that pre-amp for a little while, I think that would be a very worthy addition to the amp stable in the Axe FX.

Cheers back!
Pat

Man,Can anyone get that drive sound of the dumble in the Axefx2 ? That is Sweet!

Back
Top Bottom