Dumble for sale

I was hanging out in LA at Lab Sound in the late 80’s getting my first “Huge Rack” built.

I was just moving away from my Mesa Boogie 12” combo that I’d had since ‘78.

This guy walks up and tells me that he builds custom amps and if I liked the Mesa I’d love his stuff. He had one with him that I could of bought in the spot.

I was moving away from combo amps and I was all caught up in the 80’s image thing. I couldn’t see myself on stage with Dumble behind me.

Who Knew? I still occasionally slap myself in the face over that one.

Muad'zin said:
So you think that more people know Sweet Home Alabama then all of Pink Floyd's work combined? That albums like Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall pale into insignificance to that one song? That Money, Time and Another Brick in the Wall in no way enjoy near mass recognition? Nor did they ever attend any of the massive stadium tours that Pink Floyd held since the 70's? I also think that you seriously underestimate the average rich buyer interested in this gear. Any serious collector would most likely know what they're buying. Only nouveaux riche with too much money to burn would just buy anything as long as its famous for something. But these days those tend to be either Russian oligarchs and Chinese industrialists. And neither of those have probably ever heard of Sweet Home Alabama. And from what I've heard China in particular is a pop music wasteland.

I'm not speaking from a personal view of either bands contribution to music history, I love both bands. But think of it like this: I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've heard Pink Floyd on the radio (even on retro stations), or heard a coverband play one of their songs. Sweet Home Alabama is still one of those songs you can't get away from, both on the radio (be it retro station, classic hits, golden hits or whatever they all may be called). It's also something you still hear many coverbands play. Personally, I've never played any Pink Floyd songs in any coverband, but I'm pretty feed up with Sweet Home Alabama :sweatsmile:

In the last full time band I played with, we added pretty much anything to the repertoar, as long as it was it was requested enough times. Sweet Home Alabama was played at pretty much every gig, no Pink Floyd songs. So my point is still time same: There is probably more general mass appeal to the wider public in Sweet Home Alabama than any Pink Floyd song. Again, not taking anything from either bands, their members or the quality of their work, just recognizability and "fame". But hey, things might be very different, but in the northern mainland of Europe, this seems to be the case.

The state of Alabama should buy it.

Can they even afford a regular Squier Strat? :D

I'm not speaking from a personal view of either bands contribution to music history, I love both bands. But think of it like this: I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've heard Pink Floyd on the radio (even on retro stations), or heard a coverband play one of their songs. Sweet Home Alabama is still one of those songs you can't get away from, both on the radio (be it retro station, classic hits, golden hits or whatever they all may be called). It's also something you still hear many coverbands play. Personally, I've never played any Pink Floyd songs in any coverband, but I'm pretty feed up with Sweet Home Alabama :sweatsmile:

In the last full time band I played with, we added pretty much anything to the repertoar, as long as it was it was requested enough times. Sweet Home Alabama was played at pretty much every gig, no Pink Floyd songs. So my point is still time same: There is probably more general mass appeal to the wider public in Sweet Home Alabama than any Pink Floyd song. Again, not taking anything from either bands, their members or the quality of their work, just recognizability and "fame". But hey, things might be very different, but in the northern mainland of Europe, this seems to be the case.

I'm not denying its a popular song, but when you play a Pink Floyd song, people will go, Pink Floyd, yeah. When you play Sweet Home Alabama, or American Pie for that matter too, people will go Sweet Home Alabama. Or American Pie. And they will belt along. But......, I reckon most of them will be clueless as to who the band is.I don't even know the name of that band. But they will know Pink Floyd. Hell, if Gilmour, Mason and Waters were to reconcile and say they would do another world stadium tour ALL stadiums will be filled, right up to the nosebleeds. I doubt that the Sweet Home Alabama band could pull that off

As it is there will be a lot of people who have grown up with Pink Floyd and who have some spare cash. They're baby boomers, they have most of the cash right now. The Black Strat has its own book for god sakes! The only claim to fame the other Strat has is that it was used on that one song. And it wasn't even his main guitar!

Time will tell if that guitar will fetch that $450.000 asking price. It's possible, but my money is on the Black Strat raking in more.

By 2013, Pink Floyd had sold more than 250 million records worldwide.
"The Wall" has sold 23million in the U.S., (tied with Zeppelin IV) making it the #3 best selling album in the US.
"Dark Side Of The Moon" has sold 15 million in the US.
Pink Floyd is in the top 10 best selling bands in the US of all time with 52,600,000 albums.

Lynyrd Skynyrd has sold 28 million total records in the U.S.

Although Skynyrd is a great band, I think its fair to say that they pale in comparison to the mighty Floyd in terms of mass popularization. Mr Gilmore is at least on rolling stones top 100 guitarist (admittedly a bullshit list) but none of the skynyrd guys, as good as there truly are, made the list. Having said that, the "Sweet Home..." guitar solo is truly masterful.

450k for a strat is beyond stupid...unless you want it that bad and have the money. And even then its stupid. You can buy the best parts in the world and build one for 2k. I feel the same way about dumble amps. As an amp builder who has taken the time to tweek individual components with in an amp, including transformers, ...my god what a pain in the ass, I know hype when I hear it. I'm not saying dumbles don't sound good, I just don't believe there's some kind of magic happening there that warrants the money and I've been around far too long to pay for hype. No, I have never played one. Just my opinion. Except for the Floyd stuff...

I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've heard Pink Floyd on the radio (even on retro stations), or heard a coverband play one of their songs. Sweet Home Alabama is still one of those songs you can't get away from, both on the radio (be it retro station, classic hits, golden hits or whatever they all may be called). It's also something you still hear many coverbands play.

Agreed that this is probably the case in America...

They do have another song you might have heard a few people requesting from time to time...

It's called "Free Bird" ;-)

Not really. I don't think they were ever that big in the Netherlands. Come to think of it I don't thing I hear Sweet Home Alabama getting much airplay on the local classic rock radio station either. Pink Floyd on the other hand, they played Nijmegen twice, in the 90's it was a huge open air show in the park. Half the city was there, either inside or outside the gates. 1968 they played a small venue in the city that's still so legendary the local newspaper was last year looking for locals to interview who had been there. A colleague of mine had been one of the few. He told me he had hoped to hear a few of Syd Barrett's classics, instead he got Careful with that axe, Eugene. I've seen the room, there could have been no more then 100 people in attendance? Think your local activity center. And its all the way on the top 5th floor. Poor roadies.

They do have another song you might have heard a few people requesting from time to time...

It's called "Free Bird" ;-)
So common that's it's basically a running joke... Every band in the US probably gets asked to play Free Bird at least once at every gig. ;)

So common that's it's basically a running joke... Every band in the US probably gets asked to play Free Bird at least once at every gig. ;)

We hear requests for Freebird often (usually as a joke yelled out by a friend), but I could probably count on one hand the times I've been asked to play Sweet Home Alabama. As popular as those songs are, I've never played either of them in a band. But I've played at least one Pink Floyd song in every band I've been in since the late '70s.

It's so common that a commercial on the NCAA basketball tournament broadcast has one of the "announcers" trying to get the college marching band to play it...

@Muad'zin - just messing with you. And it makes sense that Floyd would be way more popular in Europe, compared to Southern Rock.

Funny that Ed King didn't really get along with that guitar because the PUP's were so crappy. I agree with the 'perceived value' logic. It's not what it's worth, it's what people THINK it's worth.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up playing/listening to Skynyrd. But even if I had the cabbage to throw at this, I wouldn't.

And this is a pretty civil thread that has the *Dumble* mention...

;)

The free bird thing is a joke...until you play it correctly; and then it is a show stopper. Its a surprisingly easy guitar solo to play with just a few points of interest that the band as a whole must be aware of. But, in my experience, having only played it live one time, it killed and we were heroes for a moment. At least it felt that way. Maybe it was the weed...the Sweet Home solo, on the other hand, is much more interesting piece with little model changes and a much more intricate fingering. We generally refused to do it because we didn't have the back up vocals. It such an iconic tune you really have to do it pretty accurately or you might get your ass whooped around here. I would venture to say that you don't hear as many Floyd covers because of the keys? I know that was the stopper for my band although we did do a version of "Time" once. Once.

I also grew up playing Skynyrd, my cats name is mr breeze.

Ever played Stairw....uh, never mind.

By 2013, Pink Floyd had sold more than 250 million records worldwide.
"The Wall" has sold 23million in the U.S., (tied with Zeppelin IV) making it the #3 best selling album in the US.
"Dark Side Of The Moon" has sold 15 million in the US.
Pink Floyd is in the top 10 best selling bands in the US of all time with 52,600,000 albums.

Lynyrd Skynyrd has sold 28 million total records in the U.S.

Although Skynyrd is a great band, I think its fair to say that they pale in comparison to the mighty Floyd in terms of mass popularization. Mr Gilmore is at least on rolling stones top 100 guitarist (admittedly a bullshit list) but none of the skynyrd guys, as good as there truly are, made the list. Having said that, the "Sweet Home..." guitar solo is truly masterful.

450k for a strat is beyond stupid...unless you want it that bad and have the money. And even then its stupid. You can buy the best parts in the world and build one for 2k. I feel the same way about dumble amps. As an amp builder who has taken the time to tweek individual components with in an amp, including transformers, ...my god what a pain in the ass, I know hype when I hear it. I'm not saying dumbles don't sound good, I just don't believe there's some kind of magic happening there that warrants the money and I've been around far too long to pay for hype. No, I have never played one. Just my opinion. Except for the Floyd stuff...
Interesting stats. I wonder what the radio AirPlay stats are though.

Back
Top Bottom