Dumb questions about bluetooth MIDI setup

greiswig

Power User
I am having a hard time figuring out if there's a good way to do this.

Current setup:
  • RJM Mastermind GT connects to...
  • 7-pin MIDI cable, connects to...
  • Power adapter/converter box - basically provides power to the RJM, and converts 1 MIDI out and 1 MIDI in port to the 7-pin jack
  • Two standard MIDI cables from that converter box to the AxeFX3
All this works great. There is bidirectional communication between the AxeFX and the RJM, so a change in preset or scene at either end is reflected at the other.

What I'd like to do, though, is to start using Bandhelper's MIDI capability, via Bluetooth, to send preset/scene changes as songs are called up on the setlist. I have a choice of a Yamaha MD-BT01 (requires a MIDI out port to power it) or a Puc (battery powered) to help on the bluetooth side.

I got a MIDI Merge - DoreMidi Merge-5 , but it doesn't seem to do what I need it to do. When hooked up the way I think it needs to be hooked up, scenes just start bouncing around on both the AxeFX and the RJM, making me think there's a delay loop or something in the MIDI communication. Here's how I have it hooked up:

MIDI Out <—5 pin DIN—> Merge IN 1 <—5 pin DIN—> AxeFX MIDI IN
RJM <—5 pin DIN—> RJM Adapter
MIDI In <—5 pin DIN—> Merge OUT 1 <—5 pin DIN—> AxeFX MIDI OUT

My thinking was that all I'd need to do was hook up the Puc to one of the Merge MIDI Ins and I should be able to have it work. But I can't even get it to work without the Puc involved. Has anyone here been able to make a setup like this work? If so, could you please give an outline of what you had to do?

Back
Top Bottom