Dumb moments you've had with the Axe?

JebHowell

Being the complex machine it is, I'm sure we've all had a brain fart working the axe. I had one last night playing with an 80's style clean tone. I've had this preset for a while and loved it, but last night it was harsh and brittle and horrible.

After tinkering with my guitar for half an hour, I finally found the wah was engaged.

So what's your favorite dufus moment with the axe?

Before I learned how and why to use global EQ, I've had many dumb moments.
Could you give a little detail here? I'm still learning a TON about EQing stuff, particularly to help all band members blend together. I'm very curious on the how/why to use global EQ.

For mine...it happened last night and discovered today lol. My lead guitarist goes "I have volume pedal control but no wah!". I'm not familiar enough with the front navigation and couldn't get Axe Edit to work until this morning...when I saw that I had moved the wah to be disconnected from the line lol.

Went all rehearsal last night wonder why the wah didn't work. Guess I should learn the front panel navigation at some point.

spent 20 minutes dialling in a really really nice eq curve before the amp block - boosting and cutting very specific frequencies with laser precision and listening intensely after each tweak to confirm solid progress before continuing to the next step. At the end as I enjoy my tone and congratulate myself, I look down and realize the eq block was never actually engaged.

Last edited:
Most of the times it's engaging the tuner and finding I'm one semitone up, so I tune down, start playing to a backing track and it's dissonance fest all over... It's a couple seconds and head scratches that I realize my interface it's not turned on so the Axe's clock isn't sync'd (have both units hooked via S/PDIF, my interface's being the master device).

Other than that, the classic, ocassional "2290 Delay it's not passing audio" dumb moment...

spent 20 minutes dialling in a really really nice eq curve before the amp block - boosting and cutting very specific frequencies with laser precision and listening intensely after each tweak to confirm solid progress before continuing to the next step. At the end as I enjoy my tone and congratulate myself, I look down and realize the eq block was never actually engaged.

The self-conducted placebo test, I like it.

We were next on in a show ...semi-dark stage and freakin no sound, no signal nor a whimper out of the Axe! 😩....with the other members all set and ready staring at me ready to start and what’s the holdup ...

Checked the front panel and output level knobs ...the rear connections etc ....

I’m in panic city for what seemed like an eternity!! ...😫

Finally found the problem ....👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Trust me on this folks!! ...it really really helps to plug the guitar cable INTO THE GUITAR!! 😁

Yep trying out others presets that use a volume pedal, well thats a shat preset, no sound, yup volume off....
In my own small world, I use my pedal for wah. Still takes time for me to process what's wrong!

Forgetting the volume pedal is connected and turned all the way down and no sound coming out ....
Same here. Twice in my early Fractal years I've had panicked moments right before a gig where I didn't have any signal making it out of the unit and had to resort to my backup rig. (A Line 6 POD XT Live...gah!) Now I know to always double-check that the volume pedal is turned up. I've also spent an hour or two adjusting levels on a whole bunch of presets after instal;ling new firmware, only to discover afterward that the volume pedal was not turned all the way up.

Back
Top Bottom