Dumb Fender Reverb/Vibrato Question

Fizz

Inspired
I'm new to Fender amps and was wondering where are the vibrato and reverb amp controls on the Fender vibrato/reverb models? I'm just going to assume we are just to add these as effects since I can't find them on the amp settings? Or am I just totally missing it?

You're correct: add them as separate effects. The Pan/Trem block has a nice bias trem and the Reverb block has several spring options. The other Fractal devices do have a bias trem effect built into the Amp block, but it's not available on the FM3 due to CPU limitations. It's only available separately in the Pan/Trem block (which runs on a separate CPU from the Amp block).

You're correct: add them as separate effects. The Pan/Trem block has a nice bias trem and the Reverb block has several spring options. The other Fractal devices do have a bias trem effect built into the Amp block, but it's not available on the FM3 due to CPU limitations. It's only available separately in the Pan/Trem block (which runs on a separate CPU from the Amp block).
That explains it.. and is why I was confused. I looked on the Amp Wiki page and it said it include it but I didn't realize it was not on the FM3. Are the Pan/Trem block effects just as good?

If you want recreate the amps' built in effects, the tremolo goes after the spring reverb so the reverb tails get tremolo too. Many presets get that backwards.
Got any settings you can share. I don't like the way the preset effects on the FM3 are configured for these amps.

Depends on the amp you want to recreate. Anything from Fender pre 1963 (tweeds and brownface) did not have reverb built in. Those would have used a stand alone reverb unit in front of the amp's input. Putting the reverb block in front of the Amp block will help get those types of sounds. Tweed and low wattage amps like the Princeton had bias tremolo. The larger blackface and silverface amps mostly had optical tremolo. A few models of brownface amps (transitional models between the tweeds and the blackface models) had the more rare multi-tube harmonic vibrato. It's a cool sound but it's its own thing for sure. More of a swirly phaser thing than tremolo or true vibrato.

The Deluxe spring model in front of the bias or optical tremolo models works well for a lot of Fender amp tones. If you're going for a more vintage rockabilly or surf vibe, try the reverb in front of the amp for that dense wash of reverb sound.

Every time I tried the bias trem in an amp model, I heard quiet scratchy glitching in time with it. I doubt the real amps do that, but I could be wrong.

In any case, for that reason I use a separate trem block, sounds great.

Every time I tried the bias trem in an amp model, I heard quiet scratchy glitching in time with it. I doubt the real amps do that, but I could be wrong.

In any case, for that reason I use a separate trem block, sounds great.

The tremolo in my DRRI ticks.

Well that's too bad, but not the glitch I mean. What I heard was a quiet scratchy sound, periodic white noise, ish. Weird suck for this, but not ticking.

It's not a glitch, the tremolo circuit in all of the Deluxe Reverb Reissues has a ticking noise to it that follows the set speed. But there's no firmware updates for analog circuits...

Depends on the amp you want to recreate. Anything from Fender pre 1963 (tweeds and brownface) did not have reverb built in. Those would have used a stand alone reverb unit in front of the amp's input. Putting the reverb block in front of the Amp block will help get those types of sounds. Tweed and low wattage amps like the Princeton had bias tremolo. The larger blackface and silverface amps mostly had optical tremolo. A few models of brownface amps (transitional models between the tweeds and the blackface models) had the more rare multi-tube harmonic vibrato. It's a cool sound but it's its own thing for sure. More of a swirly phaser thing than tremolo or true vibrato.

The Deluxe spring model in front of the bias or optical tremolo models works well for a lot of Fender amp tones. If you're going for a more vintage rockabilly or surf vibe, try the reverb in front of the amp for that dense wash of reverb sound.
^This^

Tremolo is one of my favorite effects, especially harmonic because it’s much more than just a volume change. Fender’s use of it was limited, like @mr_fender said, but Magnatone has a really nice sounding one in their combo amps these days, and their stereo (2x10 and 2x12) models smoothly pulse/switch between the speakers, which sounds wonderful. We can make the tremolo block do the same thing by changing the phase to 180° as a post-effect (or avoid summing the signal to mono).

I take advantage of the block’s channels, so I use one for bias tremolo, one for harmonic tremolo, and then duplicate them into the remaining two channels and change the phase to 180°, and set a hold action on their enable/bypass switch to increment the channels so I can get at whichever I want, depending on my mood and whether I have a single cab or stereo cabs with me.

The tremolo in my DRRI ticks.
There are ways to reduce or eliminate optoisolator bulb tick. Most successful seems to be the 220pF 1000V cap from plate to cathode of the neon bulb driver tube:
Screenshot_20231204_202526_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20231204_202807_OneDrive.jpg

I just converted the roach set-up to bias-wiggler, and rolled with it on both channels in my '66 Deluxe. Much smoother wobble than the roach, and no neon to tick....

Back
Top Bottom