DuckDuckGo

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Is anyone using this as their search engine?
Your thoughts?

I just tried it, and now I can't log into my Fidelity account!
I searched their site for help and contact, nothing easily found yet.

Your thoughts?

In my experience it's not nearly as good as Google or even Bing. That said, switching search engines does not change the username or password for your accounts on other websites, so whatever the issue with is with your Fidelity account, it's not related to using DuckDuckGo.

: ) yea, in the search bar I just typed in Fidelity and clicked on the link, tried to log in that way = no work.
Like you said @MSS log in directly, no problems!
Thanks!

Are you sure that was actually Fidelity's site? I never log into any financial institution I use from an email or search link, only from links I have saved that I know are legit. I would change my password ASAP!

It's the default on my laptop, and mostly it's fine, but occasionally there's some weird complex search I want to do, and Google is just way better for that stuff. There's tradeoffs, in lack of privacy, and potential manipulation by a huge corporate entity with zero moral compass. But the results are what they are.

I set it to my default somewhat recently and have been testing it. It is entirely adequate at easy searches and pretty bad at tough searches. Occasionally it just doesn't know what the hell you're asking it. Turns out 95% of my search traffic is in the "easy" category though, so I failback to Google when needed. Depriving Google of the data is mildly worth it.

As much as Google has fallen victim to the content farms, AI generated pages, and other complete trash, it's still producing better overall results despite requiring some sifting.

DuckDuckGo on my phone. 95% adequate for my needs. Using Brave as my computer internet browser. For complex searches it has the option to use Google and other search engines. Both DDG and Brave are a bit clunky IMO, but the privacy and reduced spam & tracking are worth it.

Not sure about you guys but if i search for something I want all the info I can get my hands on even if it's Russian disinformation. I don't need their "protection", I can think for myself.

While there are better search engines out there, people use duckduckgo, qwant, ecosia, brave etc, in order to gain some anonymity or simply not contribute to the metadata gathered by the big search engines or find information that is impartial, not ranked by the current events.

duckduckgo went woke, started to censor content DuckDuckGo owner tweet

But don't take my word for it, I'm a COVIDIOT.

In my experience it's not nearly as good as Google or even Bing. That said, switching search engines does not change the username or password for your accounts on other websites, so whatever the issue with is with your Fidelity account, it's not related to using DuckDuckGo.
Yeah, that.
Not sure about you guys but if i search for something I want all the info I can get my hands on even if it's Russian disinformation. I don't need their "protection", I can think for myself.
Also that.

I use Brave search or my SearX instance, though I don't recommend SearX unless you're a dork.

Your thoughts?

Did you change your web browser? Google Chrome, Fireirefox?
Are you using a VPN?
I found that certain financial web sites work better with certain browser. Likewise, those same financial institutions refuse the use of a VPN. I need to turn off the VPN to sign in.

I can't be bothered to change the default address bar search from Google. It's ads that bug me most, so I use AdBlock pro.

The ship for privacy sailed long ago at the expense of subsidized consumer electronics. I have it on pretty poor authority too that Nord and Express VPN are just fronts for our own and the highest bidder's government to monitor activity and when needed sell/blackmail the victim/target with that info. Same with the Tor/Onion browsers. So yeah. I mean, duh.

My beef with Duck Duck, which I use, is that I always add -amazon so I don't get amazon.com in my search results and lately this doesn't work anymore. Seems like amazon has paid off search engines like Duck Duck to no longer allow users to filter them out of search results.

You can use tools like ghostery to make it harder for to google track your online activity, but the only solution to avoid having them record your searching activity is to use a search engine like duckduckgo. Every search engine uses various means to prioritize by relevance, which often means excluding crazy shit, using a definition of "crazy shit" to the best of their abilities.

If you want to exclude a site, for example amazon.com, from your duckduckgo search results, use this: -site:amazon.com

Back
Top Bottom