Dual Physical Amp Usage

Tekbow

Hi, first post, potential owner.

Considering a few units from the HX Stomp up to the FM3.

Want to buy something I can use for wet effects with my amps, or as board rig depending on location.

I have a query that isn't immediately clear from the literature and reviews and vids

As said, planned use is in a dual amp setup, where I'll either run the send of my Amps FX loops into the inputs of the FM3 (Left and Right) and back out to the return of the loops via the corresponding outs.

Or

I feed the FM3 from the line outs present on both my amps in a WDDW Setup

1) can I maintain 2 discrete paths with no summing of the signal from the 2 amps? For example, stereo pitch shift, into dual delay into reverb, with the signals panned/separated left and right at the output Jacks?

If yes, can the blocks in the grid be stereo? I.e. I achieve the above running through a single row of blocks? Rather than have to split into parallel signal lines?

Cheers 👍

Hi, first post, potential owner.

Considering a few units from the HX Stomp up to the FM3.

Want to buy something I can use for wet effects with my amps, or as board rig depending on location.

I have a query that isn't immediately clear from the literature and reviews and vids

As said, planned use is in a dual amp setup, where I'll either run the send of my Amps FX loops into the inputs of the FM3 (Left and Right) and back out to the return of the loops via the corresponding outs.

Or

I feed the FM3 from the line outs present on both my amps in a WDDW Setup

1) can I maintain 2 discrete paths with no summing of the signal from the 2 amps? For example, stereo pitch shift, into dual delay into reverb, with the signals panned/separated left and right at the output Jacks?

If yes, can the blocks in the grid be stereo? I.e. I achieve the above running through a single row of blocks? Rather than have to split into parallel signal lines?

Cheers 👍
short answer is yes.

most blocks are already stereo. some that aren't are Amp block and Drive block. the Cab block can be set to stereo if desired.

but the effects you mention are already stereo within one block, on one row. if you pan the effect in the block to be full stereo left and right, it will leave the FM3 full stereo left and right through the left and right jacks.

short answer is yes.

most blocks are already stereo. some that aren't are Amp block and Drive block. the Cab block can be set to stereo if desired.

but the effects you mention are already stereo within one block, on one row. if you pan the effect in the block to be full stereo left and right, it will leave the FM3 full stereo left and right through the left and right jacks.
That's great Chris, thanks for your time 👍

I've been offered a pre-owned AX8 also.

Can that AX8 achieve what I described using the auxiliary left and right ins/FX loop returns as inputs receiving a signal from the FX send or line outs Of my amps without too much fussing?

@Tekbow The FM3 would a better choice than the AX8 in your case for several reasons.

First, the aux in and out on the FM3 are represented by TWO blocks instead of one. This means you can use them in stereo with your two amps, and enjoy unity gain operation.

On the AX8, they are intended for use as an INSERT, and there is only one block, so you'd need to use IN2 and OUT1. So in my opinion that is not ideal. Also, you'd be missing out on some really great new effects and effect upgrades.

Ah ok, Thanks for that.

If I may ask a follow on?

Does that mean I'd need to have to separate lines of FX, or can I feed the two inputs into a single stereo FX Block and keep the signals panned left and right?

If so What happens at the end of the Chain? Do the panned signals Exit via output 1 and 2

Ah ok, Thanks for that.

If I may ask a follow on?

Does that mean I'd need to have to separate lines of FX, or can I feed the two inputs into a single stereo FX Block and keep the signals panned left and right?

If so What happens at the end of the Chain? Do the panned signals Exit via output 1 and 2
Ouput 1 is a stereo Output with Left and Right already physically implemented as Left and Right output jacks.

so anything stereo going into the Out 1 block will be stereo.

any blocks that are stereo going to Out 2 (to your amps) are also represented by Left and Right jacks for Out 2. so that'd be stereo/unique to each physical amp. set Input 2 to Stereo, and the return from your amps (if you use that) will be stereo/unique as well.

Great thanks Chris 👍

Interesting though. I can have 2 sets of stereo outputs then?

So I Could run into an interface for recording and send to a stereo power al and cabs simultaneously.

Great thanks Chris 👍

Interesting though. I can have 2 sets of stereo outputs then?

So I Could run into an interface for recording and send to a stereo power al and cabs simultaneously.
The FM3 has 2 stereo outputs - Output 1 and Output 2. You would arrange them in your preset as desired.

Back
Top Bottom