Dual output - stereo stage monitoring and mono to FOH

tomchopper

This may be an easy setup question, but still being relatively new the AXE III, I’m hoping to get some guidance from those in the know :)

If I want to run stereo on the stage but mono to FOH, is it simply a matter of splitting the end of the chain to two cabs (one set for stereo and one for mono)?

Eg:
Input 1 > [signal chain] > cab 1 (stereo) > output 1> SS head/FRFF
[same as above, pre cab] > cab 2 (mono) > output 2 > FOH

Also, given the preconfigured db levels of the outputs, do I have them correct as noted above? ie am I using the correct outputs? If the stage mix was going through a SS head vs FRFF, should I be using output 3 or 4 instead?

Quite difficult to do because stereo blocks going into mono blocks can cause stereo phase cancellation.

You could try having all effects in Mono and then at the end of the chain before the OUT 1 block (the one going to SS head) put an "enhancer" block in place and set the type to "Stereoizer". Then, for the FOH, route the last block in your chain to OUT 2 (FOH for mono), bypassing the enhancer block.

You can use the outputs that work best for you. Outs 1 and 2 work best for my situations and likely will for you. Yes, that routing should work.

I agree with @bread above on being careful with stereo effects when going to mono to not have undesired effects. I have my main performance presets setup to run in stereo well, but also function in mono by listening on both a stereo setup and a mono setup. Then I can adjust accordingly to make sure it all works. Admittedly I end up avoiding the stereo effects with phase reversals live, but where I play doesn’t often need those effects.

In the end use your ears and if you like the sound on both the stage stereo rig and the FOH mono send then you are good to go!

In regards to the sum-to-mono phase issues: it can be a good practice to listen to how that effects the overall output by using the global audio output settings to move between stereo, Copy L-R (in other words only one side of output), and Sum L+R. I find there can even be a subtle difference in terms of overall effect level perception between all three (listening in stereo), or between Copy vs. Sum settings (in mono). I dial reverbs in differently for stereo than I do with mono, and find that I generally prefer the Copy function over Sum in terms of effects level staying relative the same.

As a side note, you could also play with having two slightly dissimilar cabs right before your FOH output, and then sending only the 2R output to FOH. Then you would have the option of sending out the right cabinet (stereo), left cabinet (Copy L-R), and both cabs mixed (Sum). I wouldn't think of in terms of hard-and-fast rules of what's right, but what kinds of options you want to have available.

Back
Top Bottom