Dual L R amp patch with chorus

stereotactic

Experienced
Hello, anybody have an opinion on the best type of chorus/routing to use on a L R dual amp patch with a discrete L R through signal path?

I’ve tried a mono 2 voice chorus on each side and it was a bit muddled sounding.

Tried a single mono chorus on one side full wet and left the other side dry and it didn’t sound full enough.

Thoughts?

I use 2 amps
left amp: input left / output: left into mono cab: input: left / output: left
right amp: input right /output: right into mono cab: input: right / output: right
before the right amp: digital mono chorus:
depth 6,2%
delay: 9ms
width: 0%
mix 100%

Last edited:
have you tried using a pitch shifter instead? you could run a detune after both amps. set the mix somewhere between 30 and 50% and a few cents detune. because there's no lfo changing the amount of pitch modulation, you won't get any perceived changes in width. try a different amount of detune on the left and right.

have you tried using a pitch shifter instead? you could run a detune after both amps. set the mix somewhere between 30 and 50% and a few cents detune. because there's no lfo changing the amount of pitch modulation, you won't get any perceived changes in width. try a different amount of detune on the left and right.

No, I haven’t, but this brings up another set of questions:

Do you or anybody else make a distinction between chorus and doubling? Would modulation be the difference?

When I hear actual doubled guitar tracks, I hear a kind of chorusing, but is that just a function of the micro pitch variations that come from tuning, fretting and strumming differences?

I like some movement/modulation but not at the expense of the attack or when the LFO sweeps deep enough that it generates its own rhythm. Which of course brings everything back to whether or not you can actually achieve a credible doubling effect with a single guitar and processing...

if you're trying to create a convincing double tracking effect, then chorus isn't the solution. this has been covered in depth in the forum before. it's pretty hard to do convincingly

Yep. This is what I do and it does exactly what I've always wanted from a chorus-type effect, but could never actually get out of a chorus pedal.

Detune
Left -8 cts
Right +8 cts
Mix 25-40%

It's a huge spacial effect that doesn't oscillate, so there's no weird swirling artifacts that give it away as an "obvious" effect pedal, it doesn't muddy up your sound, and it still sounds good even when collapsed to mono, unlike the Enhancer block. It's exactly what you're looking for.

vvv edit: corrected "Expander" to "Enhancer"

Last edited:
I never liked chorus on certain presets because of the flanger sound that sometimes go with it.
So I use Detune with settings of Left -9 cts Right +9 cts. My mix varies.
It really wakes up clean tones and creates a widening to the tone.

Back
Top Bottom