Dual FC-6 vs. FC-12?

redhedded1

Experienced
I am getting an Axe-FXIII and currently have a FM-3, FC-6 and two EV-1 pedals. I was considering selling my FM3. If I get another FC-6 can that be setup to work the same as a FC-12? I don't know why I can't conceptualize it in my head, but I also know the Fractal units are mega-flexible and configurable. Any tips or opinion on this, and has anyone else tried this? I could sell the FC-6 and get a FC-12 and the cost is about six one, half-dozen the other, except sales online can be a potential hassle,

Paging @Joe Bfstplk :)

Joe uses to FC6s, swears by it, last I heard.

The big thing that's cool about 2 6s instead of a 12 is that you can switch layouts on each of the 6s separately.
You'd probably want to think through what you want to do with that capability before deciding how important it is to you.

Of course the other big pluses are that you can take only one FC6 to smaller gigs/jams etc, and that if one dies on a gig, you've still got the other one..

And the corresponding minus is that you have to hook both of them up, and if I'm not mistaken, the second FC of any flavor can't be powered from the Axe, it needs a separate power supply.

The big thing that's cool about 2 6s instead of a 12 is that you can switch layouts on each of the 6s separately.
You'd probably want to think through what you want to do with that capability before deciding how important it is to you.

Of course the other big pluses are that you can take only one FC6 to smaller gigs/jams etc, and that if one dies on a gig, you've still got the other one..

And the corresponding minus is that you have to hook both of them up, and if I'm not mistaken, the second FC of any flavor can't be powered from the Axe, it needs a separate power supply.
An additional plus to having two FC units are all the auxiliary inputs for pedals and switches.

Two FC6es > one FC12.
0718212309a_HDR.jpg

Advantages:
  1. Twice as many buttons available with use of Views.
  2. Pedals can be centered, so you can reach them without having to take tai chi or yoga lessons, or being the stretchy guy from the Fantastic Four. Even @iaresee posted he liked the pedals centered in his post with the FM9 and FC12 recently....
  3. More pedals and switches possible with two sets of pedal/switch jacks.
  4. A little different way of thinking about layouts can net you a really flexible 6-LOL-6 layout.
  5. Shorter, fatter gig bag or case works to hold both boards.
  6. Others have done it before you and can help you conceptualize ways of using the dual setup.

Disadvantages:
  1. Need to run a power plug for a wall wart (but at least a relatively inexpensive and available OneSpot wall wart works).
  2. Slightly higher buy-in cost (which, in your case probably washes out).

:)

Last edited:

Ok, I thought about the layout options, which would be good to run two separate layouts. You are right though, the manual states you need power for the second board. I don't think that is a big deal, but I'll probably go with a FC-12. Thanks everyone! 🎸🤟😎🎵⚡💥🎶

Two FC6es > one FC12.
0718212309a_HDR.jpg

Advantages:
  1. Twice as many buttons available with use of Views.
  2. Pedals can be centered, so you can reach them without having to take tai chi or yoga lessons, or being the stretchy guy from the Fantastic Four. Even @iaresee posted he liked the pedals centered in his post with the FM9 and FC12 recently....
  3. More pedals and switches possible with two sets of pedal/switch jacks.
  4. A little different way of thinking about layouts can net you a really flexible 6-LOL-6 layout.
  5. Shorter, fatter gig bag or case works to hold both boards.
  6. Others have done it before you and can help you conceptualize ways of using the dual setup.

Disadvantages:
  1. Need to run a power plug for a wall wart (but at least a relatively inexpensive and available OneSpot wall wart works).
  2. Slightly higher buy-in cost (which, in your case probably washes out).

:)
Yeah, you just changed my mind.

Build the board back... 4 processors is a different world. I think I would want to run one fc6 with a scene layout and the other with effects. I have mission tt2 to hopefully hook up as a channel switch. Damn the big unit is killer. When I was 17 I got ADA MP-1. Same feeling. I need to express ideas... how do you do it Joe? I'm looking for ideas, not just to copy your setup, but whatever makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpeg
    IMG_0750.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
I use 3 layouts for my rig.

A Presets layout, comes up as the default layout on my left FC6. The preset switches are set up with Layout Links so when you select a preset, it also switches layouts to my Scenes layout on the left FC6.

The right FC6 is always on my Pedals/ControlSwitches layout. This layout is mostly empty, as I usually do per-preset override switches on this, so each preset can be custom-tailored to the song in question. That said, I do usually have a lot of the same things on that layout, so there is a pattern that is easy to remember simply by looking at button LED colors....

Have a look at these, as they may be helpful in coming up with your thing:
  1. PRST 6a.fclayout
  2. SCN 6a.fclayout
  3. PDL 6b.fclayout
HTH, and holler if there's anything in these you don't grok right away....

Thank you. I can't believe how cool everyone is on this forum. But I remember just checking it out and not understanding and looking back so it's a nice place for music and kindness. Isn't that why we make guitar noises? It's why I do... thanks mucho gracious.

Goodness, I just picked up a mint FC6 for $400. I 'm going to try to figure this out from here, thank you again!
Muuuuuch easier to learn the equipment with the equipment in one hand and the manual in the other, with people also around to ask questions if you get stuck. Have fun, and holler if you get stuck....

Just got it together. Worked on it today, now seeing how I can set the 2 FC-6 layouts based on what was posted above. By far the best setup I've ever had!

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 19
Just got it together. Worked on it today, now seeing how I can set the 2 FC-6 layouts based on what was posted above. By far the best setup I've ever had!
Looks nice!

In my setup, the Presets or Scenes layout is on the left FC and the Effects/CS layout is on the right FC, with the controller pedals in the middle, but it's amazing how much splitting them into a pair frees up, whichever way you physically arrange the FCs. You get twice as many switches to use when you have a pair of FC6es than you do with a single FC12, thanks to Views....

I use 3 layouts for my rig.

A Presets layout, comes up as the default layout on my left FC6. The preset switches are set up with Layout Links so when you select a preset, it also switches layouts to my Scenes layout on the left FC6.

The right FC6 is always on my Pedals/ControlSwitches layout. This layout is mostly empty, as I usually do per-preset override switches on this, so each preset can be custom-tailored to the song in question. That said, I do usually have a lot of the same things on that layout, so there is a pattern that is easy to remember simply by looking at button LED colors....

Have a look at these, as they may be helpful in coming up with your thing:
  1. PRST 6a.fclayout
  2. SCN 6a.fclayout
  3. PDL 6b.fclayout
HTH, and holler if there's anything in these you don't grok right away....
Yeah, thanks so much for these. That's what I would had to do a lot of work to accomplish, and it's exactly how I want the FCs setup.

Looks nice!

In my setup, the Presets or Scenes layout is on the left FC and the Effects/CS layout is on the right FC, with the controller pedals in the middle, but it's amazing how much splitting them into a pair frees up, whichever way you physically arrange the FCs. You get twice as many switches to use when you have a pair of FC6es than you do with a single FC12, thanks to Views....
Yes I downloaded them when you posted them, and they are great. Very nice work! Thanks again!
Looks nice!

I think I understand. The Layout Links are key.
I loaded your Preset layout to 6. I loaded your scenes over the factory scenes at 2, then your effects layout over factory 3 to get the layouts loaded. Then I set all the layout links up and set 6 to load as my default layout. I think I'll use your effects/pedal layout idea later on, I am still getting used to Fractal, so reset it and loaded just your presets and scenes layout, I set second FC-6 to go to the factory effects layout 3 when I select a preset using the Layout Links. From there you can go back and forth just on the 2nd FC-6 from layout 4 more effects and layout 3 effects.

I don't know if I would have figured that out, so realizing the layout links can control the other FC-6 gives me a level of total control and customization I've never had on a board before. I'm really super happy it worked out this way. Thanks for all the info @Joe Bfstplk !

Back
Top Bottom