Dual FC-12 setups?

jmpatrick

Inspired
After waiting patiently for Fractal to offer a larger foot controller, I decided to pick up a second FC-12. I've tried a couple arrangements: one in front of the other with the back one elevated, and also side by side (which is a bit stretchy).

Curious how many others are running two FC-12's and how you arrange them.

I just don't need 24 switches. I'm more curious as to how you use that set up more than how you mount it.
Im not being critical or funny here. Do you set every switch up for every possible combo and generally use a few switches? or are you using 24 switches and if you are... do tell.

I worked on a rig that used two FC-12s in a front and back config with the back unit elevated. It was cool! Something like this:

Row 4: More Effects and 1-tap to toggle Looper mode on front unit.
Row 3: Effects
Row 2: Bank -1, 4 Presets, Bank +1
Row 1: 5 Scenes and Tuner/Tempo

049EE70A-D48A-4CFC-9545-9B31B807AA61.jpeg
Here’s my setup (currently apart as I’m cleaning up some wiring), so it’s not two 12s, but I do use two FCs. The 12 handles scenes and a few effects, and the 6 handles presets, looper, and additional effects. Personally, I really like having both FCs in play.
I messed around with a handful of different configurations, and I found that the back row FC being elevated was very comfortable.

I just ordered a second FC-12 so I'll be figuring out how to use two of them together after I get it on Wed. Not sure how I am going to arrange them yet. It will be a little wide with two side by side and 4 volume pedals. Having the back one elevated looks like a good option.

I just ordered a second FC-12 so I'll be figuring out how to use two of them together after I get it on Wed. Not sure how I am going to arrange them yet. It will be a little wide with two side by side and 4 volume pedals. Having the back one elevated looks like a good option.
yea, I'd use one elevated, personally. For me, it felt pretty natural. Having them spaced wide was too much of a stretch. Have fun with the two FC-12s!

View attachment 98363
Here’s my setup (currently apart as I’m cleaning up some wiring), so it’s not two 12s, but I do use two FCs. The 12 handles scenes and a few effects, and the 6 handles presets, looper, and additional effects. Personally, I really like having both FCs in play.
I messed around with a handful of different configurations, and I found that the back row FC being elevated was very comfortable.
Nice setup!

Alsø wik: nice SG! Do I see a Biggs Fix?

I just don't need 24 switches. I'm more curious as to how you use that set up more than how you mount it.
Im not being critical or funny here. Do you set every switch up for every possible combo and generally use a few switches? or are you using 24 switches and if you are... do tell.

I like a pedalboard-style setup so all my effects have a bypass button. 8 scenes closest to my toes, along with 3 buttons for the looper (which I use in every patch) and a button for the tuner. I've set up layouts that work with side-by-side FC-12's and front and back.

Definitely too wide for me with 3 pedals. OTOH, front and back makes a pretty bulky pedalboard.

Sure wish they'd make a FC-24.

Nice setup!

Alsø wik: nice SG! Do I see a Biggs Fix?
Thanks!
Good eyes! I've since taken it off- I don't play particularly rough, and I kept knocking the high E string off the bridge because of the decreased angle of the strings. Plenty of other mods on that guitar!

Using two FCs has sooo many possibilities with link layouts.

I just got the FC-12 MKII. All I had to do to get it up and running was to unplug all the volume pedals and external switches, and XLR cable from my original FC-12 and plug them all into their corresponding places in the FC-12MKII.

Everything worked perfectly with the exception that I had to re-calibrate all of the volume pedals. They were all off a bit.
All of the layouts showed up and worked perfectly.

So after testing everything in the FC-12MKII, I daisy chained my original FC-12 from the FC-12 MKII. I used the Godlyke Powerall to power the second FC-12. They worked perfectly together. All of the same layouts were available on the original FC-12 as what showed up for the FC-12 MKII.

I'm not sure if you can set up and use completely different layouts for both FC-12's or not yet. I am guessing you should be able to have 8 layouts for the MKII, and 8 completely different layouts for the MKI, but I have not yet tried to figure out how to do that. Maybe tomorrow. I'm really happy for how easy it was to get working.

For tonight I used the foam inserts from the FC-12MKII box to raise up and set the original FC-12 on behind it. It worked great. I'll figure out something more permanent, but that worked great for tonight, to test them out together.

I only bought the FC-12MKII because it is easier to see and I needed that. One FC-12 is so powerful with all the layouts that most people would never really need anything more, functionally, including myself, but I am already finding ways to use the two together that I am liking. I was originally going to replace the original with the MKII, but I think I am going to keep both and use them together.

I'm not sure if you can set up and use completely different layouts for both FC-12's or not yet. I am guessing you should be able to have 8 layouts for the MKII, and 8 completely different layouts for the MKI, but I have not yet tried to figure out how to do that. Maybe tomorrow. I'm really happy for how easy it was to get working.
You can use different layouts on each BUT you have the same layouts shared among all FCs.

You can use different layouts on each BUT you have the same layouts shared among all FCs.
Thanks. I didn't know that.

I thought you could daisy chain up to 4 FC-12 units and have completely different layouts on each.
So with two FC-12's you could have up to 16 different layouts. So that is not the case?

I saw options for FC-1, FC-2, FC-3, FC-4 in Axe Edit under FC-controllers.
I thought you could select which FC-controller you wanted and program completely different layouts for each. If that is not the case, what are the FC-1, FC-2, FC-3, FC-4 pages for?

I thought you could daisy chain up to 4 FC-12 units and have completely different layouts on each.
So with two FC-12's you could have up to 16 different layouts. So that is not the case?

I thought you could select which FC-controller you wanted and program completely different layouts for each. If that is not the case, what are the FC-1, FC-2, FC-3, FC-4 pages for?
Only have one FC, not I'm pretty sure they're are still only 8 layouts. You can control which one showx up on each of 4 FCs, but there are still "only" 8 layout definitions.

The layouts are not part of the FC, they are part of the Axe Fx. There are only 8.

You can USE whatever layout you want on whichever FC you use, but all 8 are common to the Axe Fx.

The layouts are not part of the FC, they are part of the Axe Fx. There are only 8.

You can USE whatever layout you want on whichever FC you use, but all 8 are common to the Axe Fx.

Thanks! You saved me a lot of trouble trying to figure out something that was not possible.

So do you have access to 4 more stand in switches and 4 more volume pedals by adding a second FC-12 or do you still have the same amount as if you were using one FC-12? Not that I need them, I am just curious.

I'm having a problem getting this setup in a way that it sounds like you guys are talking about. If I'm bumping this thread when it should've been a new thread I apologize.

I have an FC-12 as the primary with an FC-6 daisy chained. I was trying to have both of them use Layout 6 (Per Preset) as I'm in 2 different bands that use 2 different layouts based on the preset. My idea was that the lead guitarist was using the FC-12 and the bass player was using the FC-6, but I seem to be having troubles getting the FC-6 to have 6 independent switches on the Per Preset layout.

All of my attempts either modified the Lead guitarists switches in some way, or became none functional. Is it possible to use the Per Preset layout for a total of 18 buttons (since the Per Preset seems to support up to 24) where the Lead's FC-12 buttons are completely independent from the Bass' FC-6?

And when I say independent, I do know that if one of them turns on the tuner, or changes the layout on theirs, then it affects them both. The idea was to provide the bass player 6 foot switches that didn't effect the Lead's FC-12 layout in anyway and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom