Dual Delay and FOH

steve_k

Inspired
What are you experiences with the Dual Delay and time setting for L and R into the FOH for general purpose lead work. Toying with the timings of 500/250 m sec. Any magic number or recognizable delay time that is in the sweet spot? Tempo is off.

Thanks,
Steve

if you want to have tempo off and just use a general setting for everything, then i would go with 324 and 756. these two numbers are derived from the Fibonacci series and form a "golden ratio". this means that whatever tempo you play at, they will always sit at a tempo subdivision (like 1/8 or 1/4 dot etc). these are the "magic" numbers you're looking for.

however, if you decide to go with some values that i haven't just made up, then be careful about how you set the feedback with the dual delay. if you choose two values where one is twice the other, like 250 and 500, you'll need to change the feedback settings to get a proper ping-pong.

so if you use 250 and 500 (L=250, R=500), then the second repeat of L will equal R. so you need to use R>R and R>L (set both at the same value) and leave L>L at zero and L>R at zero. then you will get a proper ping pong (or just use the ping pong delay type).

however, using 300 and 500 means that the delays can have independent feedback values, because they're not multiples of each other,

if you want to have tempo off and just use a general setting for everything, then i would go with 324 and 756. these two numbers are derived from the Fibonacci series and form a "golden ratio". this means that whatever tempo you play at, they will always sit at a tempo subdivision (like 1/8 or 1/4 dot etc). these are the "magic" numbers you're looking for.
Not trying to hijack this topic, but can you explain the maths behind this? I'm just curious how that works.

omg! so what does it all mean? is it possible to find a specific delay time that will work on every song in the universe? if we discover it, what will happen? some kind of crazy time dilation? a black hole? maybe even create another universe?

it was probably already discovered by the ancients, but hidden away by the illuminati, because no-one should have that amount of power at their disposal...

careful boys...you never know what might happen...this is dangerous stuff to be messing with....

however, if you decide to go with some values that i haven't just made up, then be careful about how you set the feedback with the dual delay. if you choose two values where one is twice the other, like 250 and 500, you'll need to change the feedback settings to get a proper ping-pong.

so if you use 250 and 500 (L=250, R=500), then the second repeat of L will equal R. so you need to use R>R and R>L (set both at the same value) and leave L>L at zero and L>R at zero. then you will get a proper ping pong (or just use the ping pong delay type).

however, using 300 and 500 means that the delays can have independent feedback values, because they're not multiples of each other,

This is pure magic!

I plugged in these numbers... the wife put the baby to bed early... stripped down and came running into the studio... highly recommended! Thanks :)

That's the numbers I was looking for. Thanks.........

Back
Top Bottom