Dual Amp Tones

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
Does anyone use a dual amp setup in their preset?

Is there a rule of thumb to follow where selecting amps? A bass heavy amp to compliment a brighter sounding amp? Is there a cross over frequency? Do you pan them hard left and right or both centre?

Thoughts please.

The syrinx reamp presets on axe change are a good place to start. They use the same amp in both blocks. Theyre killer presets to my ears, but theyre hi gain. I had some luck mixing the euro red and the triptik for a nice fusion tone. Never thought about panning them, i prefer keeping them centered so you get the best of both amps.

I have not tried to made a Dual amp / Dual cab preset myself , way too complex for this newb I mostly stick with amp - cab - eq - delay - rev maybe. But I did try Factory preset # 154 Dual Clean and was blown away .
Some cool stuff going on in that one.

I use a dual amp setup

I have two similar amps and I pan them hard..

5153Red left / VH4 ch3 right

another great match up is the 5153Blue and the VH4 ch3 or the Herbert ch2+

for funk I've been using
Hiwatt Normal left / JCM800 right
you could replace either of those with the TripTik Clean

for this to work, you must dial in the low end so that both amps produce very similar amounts of it..
if not, the tone will lean to one side in the mix

I use a dual amp setup

I have two similar amps and I pan them hard..

5153Red left / VH4 ch3 right

another great match up is the 5153Blue and the VH4 ch3 or the Herbert ch2+

for funk I've been using
Hiwatt Normal left / JCM800 right
you could replace either of those with the TripTik Clean

for this to work, you must dial in the low end so that both amps produce very similar amounts of it..
if not, the tone will lean to one side in the mix

Sounds awesome, Clarky, do you use stereo, or Hi res cabs? Do you have a preset floating about ? Thx

I don't use dual amps myself but there are some great example presets.
There's one among the Deftones presets. A crunchy Boutique accompanied by a high gain amp in the background. It's heavy but retains note definition.

IMHO dual amps should be complimentary. Can be clean & crunch, or mid-heavy & bright, etc.

How do you know which amp is using each cab on the stereo cab block? Since there is no visible way to tell, or you just set amp L and amp R and it goes directly to cab L and R?

How do you know which amp is using each cab on the stereo cab block? Since there is no visible way to tell, or you just set amp L and amp R and it goes directly to cab L and R?

I assume if you hard pan one amp left and one amp right, then hard pan one of the cabs left and the other right, they'll automatically route to the appropriate cab.

Every time I've tried to set up a dual amp preset, it sounds absolutely awful (and I mean really bad). Of course, I'm not panning my amps, because what I am trying to do is create a blended tone for double tracking. It seems like as soon as I add an amp I get these crazy phase cancellations, and I can't seem to find a gain structure that doesn't sound either incredibly flubby or way too shrill (and I'm using FW 11 now).

Is it really as simple as creating a stereo patch and hard panning each amp/cab, then double tracking from there? I suppose I could set up two patches and reverse the panning on each setup? Advice?

I seem to always run into phasing issues too. I don't know that I want to use two amps live but for me its more for recording or reamping.

I don't use dual amp configurations that often, but what I've found helps (you can apply this to single amp-cab setup too) is to have a clear goal of where you want your tone to go, how it will fit into the mix and of course know the amps weakness and strength.

I've always liked the 5153Red/VH4 CH3 combo or a mid-heavy Marshall paired with a scooped Mesa.

Another trick you can do is if you want more punch to your hi-gain tone is to pair a clean/crunch amp with a heavily distorted one. :)

Ive had great results mixing these dual amp/cabs:

Brit Silver/AC30
Brit Silver/Carol Ann OD2
Triptik Classic/ Carol Ann OD2
Triptik Classic/Komet Concorde
Komet Concorde/Plexi 50 bright

I don't use dual amps myself but there are some great example presets.
There's one among the Deftones presets. A crunchy Boutique accompanied by a high gain amp in the background. It's heavy but retains note definition.

IMHO dual amps should be complimentary. Can be clean & crunch, or mid-heavy & bright, etc.

I do not personally do the dual-amp thing; because well... I just never did it. lol.

When I work with people that *do* use them; Yek's advice here is RIGHT on the money IMHO.

IMO, just like with an analog rig, you need to have a goal that leads you to the dual amps.

E.g. you want the chime of a Vox + a Marshall... etc.

Just putting down two amps because you can doesn't seem like it will lead to anything but mush.

Richard

I built one preset with dual amps and cabs. I used the Silver and Two-stone. I used the 8" oval on the two stone and a 4x12 on the Silver. The result was a very solid tone with complex mids, tight low end, and smooth highs. I use a Fulltone OD and TS808 (one or the other) to add sustain and gain. Sounds great to my ears. I would experiment with other combinations if I could find the time. Then again, I'd do a lot of stuff if I could find the time. :()

Some combinations seem to lead into a phase mess. If you use separate cabs you can compensate with the delay in the cab block, but that's a bit tricky to dial in. Easy in daw, difficult by ear.

Back
Top Bottom