DT1990 or HD600

MackieFX

Experienced
Resurrecting this -> Choice is now between the DT1990 Pro and HD600

Ill be using them for tracking but Im only using the AxeFX so there's no way for any sound to bleed. And I hear mixing and mastering is better with open back.

Just wondering which I should grab?

DT770 80 ohm seem to be the most recommended buy at €130 they can't possibly be any good?

What's the deal?

They'll be used for tracking and mixing - not for casual listening at all.

Last edited:
Sticking strictly with Beyer (nothing wrong with that) I’d consider the 880 Series. Slightly more accurate midrange (less LF bump) and assuming they’re still available in 80ohm that’s the preferred impedance.

My current fave pair in the “sub-Focal” price range (less than $6000US — who buys those things?) is the Audix 150: more accurate than 770/880, comfy yet durable, they’re 30ohm impedance and about $225US.

I have the 770 80ohms, and they're solid headphones. Worth the money, but I'm not going to say they'll be your last pair. For tracking and mixing, especially the former, they'll be just fine.

I’ve got the DT-990 250ohms because I wanted them for casual listening and tracking. I was surprised to find out how often I use them when mixing and when I switch between those and my HS-5’s I can pretty much fix anything that needs tweaking. Instead of making 3-4 trips to the truck to check a mix I’m just doing 2 at most.

Love them for casual listening though. They really turned me into a 15 year old again because it’s my favorite way to experience music (headphones). Comfortable as all hell, too.

I have the 770 80ohms, and they're solid headphones. Worth the money, but I'm not going to say they'll be your last pair. For tracking and mixing, especially the former, they'll be just fine.
This is my experience as well, but I wanted to add a thing: Eyeglasses.

If you wear them all the time like I do, then you know it can be very hard to find headphones that play well over your temples without you having to "alter" the pads in some way. The DT770 80 Ohms just feel really comfy on my head even for long periods. They tick all all the other most important boxes for me, too: affordable, quality build with a long cord (unfortunately non-detachable). Also I needed closed-backs for isolation (not just for tracking, but to keep things quieter for Lady Faustus who works from home).

I haven't tried to master EQ any big projects with them yet. But when my FM3 arrived I was really very glad to have them (for those aforementioned long periods).

I have DT770 80 ohm among other similarly priced hps, I find myself using them the most lately I can say that they are pretty good for the price, good for practicing and creating patches imo there obviously are better models and brands but good starter pair I think.

have a set of M50, dt990 and q701s. surprising how radically dif each set sounds from the other (yet I'm somehow not surprised how dif guitar speakers sound from each other!). the 990s are the most comfy (by a small margin) for me and I love the sound of them - pretty hard to beat. any of the three would do the job for me... mostly use as sort of an audio microscope. Pretty useful to have a couple of dif pairs because if I think I hear something weird... I freq go see if I hear it in the others before I do anything about it.

I didn't want to turn this into a which headphones thread but I'm open to suggestions.

Key point is tracking / mixing. They will NOT be used for casual listening

Sennheiser HD600. Probably the most balanced, flat sounding cans for the price. I had a pair I foolishly sold and now looking to get another pair.
The higher end Beyers have good soundstage and clarity bit have annoyed a lot of people with their 8k spike that can be hard to dial out.

I didn't want to turn this into a which headphones thread but I'm open to suggestions.

Key point is tracking / mixing. They will NOT be used for casual listening

If you are tracking, i believe you'll want closed back.

I may pick up a pair of 770's next weekend, my bose ones are comfy but not meant for how I use them.

Back
Top Bottom