DT-880 headphone question

hi all,

i've been using dt-770 closed backs for a while now and read how people are raving about these dt-880 open backs...so i bought a pair from amazon (amazon return so it was 180 instead of 280) and what i'm trying to figure out is whether i have a faulty headphone or if this is a known issue with the dt-880....when i have any amp that has some bottom end i.e. friedman hbe or similar, i can hear a buzz/rattle from the headphones. not super loud but not something i wish to have if possible. anyone else have that or should i try and buy a brand new pair assuming mine has an issue?

thanks!

I have zero rattle at any level. I push mine with a headphone amp and maxed out nothing close to what you are describing.

Hi,

I have a dt880 250ohms and I never heard this buzz you mention.

I think you have a faulty headphone.

Tapx

Try play some commercial music with bass through the headphones. If you still get the buzzing you can rule out anything axe-related and I'd say you either have faulty headphones or you you are driving them too much.

Using a higher impedance headphone should give a better reproduction of the signal but a higher impedance headphone needs a more powerful amplifier to drive it.

What matters is the ratio between the impedance of the amplifier and the impedance of the headphone.
See this for more explanations : http://nwavguy.blogspot.fr/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

In short :
The axe fx II can drive a 250 Ohms dt-880.
For the 600 Ohms version you'll probably need to buy a dedicated headphone amp.

The 32 Ohms version is more for mobile devices like phones and mp3 players.

Both 32 250 and 600 Ohms versions sound very close to each other.

I've had a set of 250Ω DT-880 Pro headphones for ~5 years now with extensive use and have never had a problem. Driven hard with a headphone amp; no problem at all. Still look/sound fantastic - highly recommended.

I've had this issue with my DT-880s and it's an easy fix. Simply put on some bass music, and smack with your hand the can that is showing the issue. It should fix it. No need to take them apart (which is a pain).

Well, now look at what happened ... I went and bought a pair. I have the DT770s and they suck, to be blunt (comfortable though). I have better expectations of the 880s ... if not, back to Amazon they go ...

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I ordered and received the 250ohm version and no issues. Love me some Amazon prime and a great return policy! Now, any recs for a headphone amp?

Schiit audio or the bottle head crack otl which sounds tubier. The schiits look great but are much more transparent.

I have the Schiit magni 2 uber. I use it with my mp3 player and I am very satisfied. It is an incredible value for the money it costs and is very well made too.

The only downside is that it can become very hot when I use it for several hours.

I haven't used it with the axe yet since I can get decent volume with the headphone output and the dt880 250ohms. But I will surely in the future.

Back
Top Bottom