DS-1 model anyone?

I haven't tested this one with Axe FX III yet, but I remember the real thing having a lot more level than any of the drive blocks I could find inside the AFX II.

It was also maybe a tad brighter than the drive pedal models inside the unit. Not sure if the real pedal is hard to replicate because of the volume differences or not. Or because of the Boss buffer inside the real pedal.

Check it out, FW 3.02 beta #2, you can select diode type and quantity now.

DS-1 gain stage looks like this

boss-ds1-distortion-op-amp-gain-stage.png

DS-1 tone control looks like this at noon (red line)

boss-ds1-tone-level-freq-response.png

DS-1 = Rat, Diode 1 1N4148, Diode 2 1N4148, quantity 1+1, Mid Freq 500Hz, Mid -12dB (DS-1 tone circuit dip), Low Cut 5.50, High Cut 1500Hz (that's where it sounded right to me), slew limit 10 (because reasons)

Check it out, FW 3.02 beta #2, you can select diode type and quantity now.

DS-1 gain stage looks like this

boss-ds1-distortion-op-amp-gain-stage.png

DS-1 tone control looks like this at noon (red line)

boss-ds1-tone-level-freq-response.png

DS-1 = Rat, Diode 1 1N4148, Diode 2 1N4148, quantity 1+1, Mid Freq 500Hz, Mid -12dB (DS-1 tone circuit dip), Low Cut 5.50, High Cut 1500Hz (that's where it sounded right to me), slew limit 10 (because reasons)

I am yet to install the latest firmware, So should we replicate the settings you have given to clone DS1? From what I read on forum we can play with biasing of diodes (both reverse and forward) and also the number of diodes (and its type) we can use... please help and elaborate.

Last edited:
DS-1 uses a M5223AL op-amp, the rat uses an LM308 op-amp, increasing the LM308 op-amp slew rate makes up for some difference but it won't be exact, lower slew rate accounts for deceased high end, my consumer peasant's understanding being that slew rate amounts to op-amp resolution, 10 bring highest, to say anything below max starts filtering off top end.

https://reverb.com/news/swapping-boss-ds-1-op-amps-hear-20-variations-in-action

https://www.electrosmash.com/proco-rat

Get it now, thanks for the explanation ......out of curiosity...in what modes are the opamps operating?... looks like voltage follower mode with R10 and R39 acting as load impedance..

Back
Top Bottom