Dry track suddenly lagging in DAW

drawnacrol

Inspired
12509301_10207004107473849_1022698052274118784_n.jpg

I've been recording the last few hours with no problems but all of a sudden my dry track now lags behind the main track. Does anyone know whats wrong or how to fix this? I'm using Logic Pro and going direct via USB/

I have the same issue... I have recorded in GB with no issue but I had the same problem when I got in GB.

Is this a somewhat high gain sound?

Try trimming the DI track to that flat area before the visible part, normalizing it then zooming vertically (if possible) to see what's really there.

does it actually sound out of time?
looks can deceive
you can find that when the dry signal looks like nothing is happening, something is actually happening but because the dry signal is so small you can't actually see it..
but when you reamp it with a tone that has a fist full of dirt or compression, all that 'nothing' in the dry track is revealed on the much bigger looking waveform

Reactions: Rex
I encountered this PITA on Logic 9 when OSX started migrating into Mavericks and Yosemite. Never a single issue on Snow Leopard. Did the normal buffer tweaks, low latency mode and compensation settings and it helped. Bought Logic X and it definitely performed better.

Sometimes 9 starts getting flakey and I will save, totally close Logic, and reopen and it stays good for quite a while.

^I'm using Mountain Lion and Logic 10/X

Is this a somewhat high gain sound?

Try trimming the DI track to that flat area before the visible part, normalizing it then zooming vertically (if possible) to see what's really there.

Yes its hi-gain, I'll record the input 1 track dry today and post a screenshot.

does it actually sound out of time?
looks can deceive
you can find that when the dry signal looks like nothing is happening, something is actually happening but because the dry signal is so small you can't actually see it..
but when you reamp it with a tone that has a fist full of dirt or compression, all that 'nothing' in the dry track is revealed on the much bigger looking waveform

Yep, its a good bit behind. I just checked all my old tracks I recorded the last few weeks and everyone is behind too completely ruining all the tracking I've done.

Can someone do me a favour and just record a small clip and take a screen shot like I've done showing the wet and dry tracks to see if this is a problem on PC aswell. I know its a problem with Logic, Pro Tools and Garageband from searching around.

Can someone do me a favour and just record a small clip and take a screen shot like I've done showing the wet and dry tracks to see if this is a problem on PC aswell. I know its a problem with Logic, Pro Tools and Garageband from searching around.

Did you try normalizing a flat portion of the DI? I'm not sure what you're seeing is the DI signal being late.

This example could be misjudged as evidence of the same problem, until the start of the DI is normalized for a better view:

KgxIMTA.png

I get what you are saying Bakerman and it's good point. FWIW the Logic lag rears it's ugly head with no regard to DI in the instances I've encountered. Truly a ghost in the machine. I swear it feels like a hard drive performance issue. When I used Cakewalk many years ago on my Windows box I had quadruple raptors. No issues at all. Then Logic 9 on iMac on Snow Leopard. Single stock 1TB drive. No issues. Then upgrade to Mavericks, install same spec 3TB drive, bump from 8GB to 32GB memory and get erratic lags.

try a simple experiment..
in Logic, turn on the metro.. record the dry guitar playing only down strokes with the metro so they are tight with the click..
play back and see if those notes are still in time..
then reamp the dry and see if they are still in time with the metro

so at the most basic level you'll prove if something bad is happening in just a few minutes...

Back
Top Bottom