Dry track handling

Gore

Hi,

I´m not really satisfied with my sounds yet, so I thought I record the dry tracks too. How you organize the extra tracks, extra cuts etc. Do you record wet and dry, cut both or just one? Extra folders for the dry tracks?

Let me know how you avoid messy projects :)

Thanks!

I record the dry and I reamp them later
all of the audio for all parts go into the same folder
but I use a naming convention so I know what is what and so various audio tracks group together [alphabetically] when listed in the folder..
DryGtrRiffLft01
DryGtrSolo01
GtrRiffLft01
VocalLead01
VocalBV01
etc

This is the biggest problem for me with the XL+
I want a Dry + Amped up tone with Stereo effects + Just the Amp for Cab lab stuff......But I also don't like using the Axe as an interface.

I want a Dry + Amped up tone with Stereo effects + Just the Amp for Cab lab stuff......But I also don't like using the Axe as an interface.

when I'm recording I use an aggregate audio interface with the Axe sending the dry signal to Logic for reamping, and Logic sending the mix to my Mackie for monitoring..
the Axe is also connected to the Mackie via jacks cables [from output1] so I can hear the amp + fx tone
that way there is no latency at all, and everything sounds / feels really natural and normal

I use Logic. No mess. It does all the work. Hide the dry tracks. Axe-Fx III is a dream for re-amping. No more guesswork. Make a loop, adjust while you listen in context. Print to tape. Done.

I use Logic. No mess. It does all the work. Hide the dry tracks. Axe-Fx III is a dream for re-amping. No more guesswork. Make a loop, adjust while you listen in context. Print to tape. Done.

Thats THE main thing I think about with the new box. It would be a bit bloody lazy of me to drop 2 grand on something thats much like I already have just because of that feature........but it's a hell of a feature.

Just out of interest how many mono tracks could i output from the III is it 8?

you have 4 outputs, woulnd't it be enough for what you want?

Output 1L Amp Stereo Fx L
Output 1R Amp Stereo Fx R

Output 2L Dry
Output 2R Cab Lab

Smth like this...i was doing similar routing with my Axe FX 2.

Hi,

I´m not really satisfied with my sounds yet, so I thought I record the dry tracks too. How you organize the extra tracks, extra cuts etc. Do you record wet and dry, cut both or just one? Extra folders for the dry tracks?

Let me know how you avoid messy projects :)

Thanks!

1 Dry 1 Wet track. I wouldnt record reverbs and delay. In most cases its better to add them later. But you can still monitor the delay and reverb and not rout them to the Wet track.

But to be honest i stopped recording even the Dry track, i never ever needed to reamp.

I was thinking about recording just the 100% reverb or delay on a stereo track and having the option to blend it via the faders.
I always seem to add too much or not enough.

If you want real freedom, record without the Cab Block and use Cablab as Vst on the Wet track. Its gives you the chance to change Cabinets, mics, mic positions as you wish depending on the mix. Though it can get CPU demanding depending on your project-track count.

I was thinking about recording just the 100% reverb or delay on a stereo track and having the option to blend it via the faders.

You can record the 100% wet stereo delays and reverbs on a seperate track. All these work even with the Axe FX 2. With the 3, its up to your imagination :). But keeping it simple works the best.

I went through different phases. At 1 point i was recording 4 different tracks / 4 different IRs but after a while i realised keeping it simple and making the decision for the tone as you are recording is the best.

All other ways gives you too many options, decisions too make later and it starts being destracting.

You can record the 100% wet stereo delays and reverbs to a seperate track. All these work even with the Axe FX 2. With the 3, its up to your imagination :)
Doesn’t the XL+ only have 3 outputs via usb? Dry signal and a stereo output?
Oh and that low frequency thing

I want an Axe-III
cos in addition to all that.. it's got cool lights on the front

one thing I have done in the past, and it worked quite well was...
- record the dry..
- reamp the amp/cab tone
- record the Axe-II delay wet signal [cos I didn't have an equivalent of the Axe's analogue delay at the time in my DAW that was as good]

I then mixed the "recorded delay" in with the reamped tone in Logic like any other parallel fx track
worked a treat

Doesn’t the XL+ only have 3 outputs via usb? Dry signal and a stereo output?
Oh and that low frequency thing

USB driver is 4 in, 2 out

In 1 = left wet (source depends on USB/Digi Out Source setting in I/O menu)
In 2 = right wet (source depends on USB/Digi Out Source setting in I/O menu)
In 3 = left dry (front panel instrument input or rear panel input 1 left depending on Input 1 Left Select setting in I/O menu)
In 4 = right dry (from rear panel input 1 right or same signal as Input 3 depending on Input 1 Mode setting in I/O menu)
Out 1 = left return from computer
Out 2 = right return from computer

Back
Top Bottom