Dry signal recording possible with AX8?

Hansen

Experienced
I own both an Axe II and AX8. For our recordings I always recorded wet and dry signals at the same time with the Axe II and used it as my Audio Interface. I was told that it has really good converters and that the dry signal will be of high quality. I am considering selling my Axe II now. Will I be able to record wet and dry at the same time with the AX8, however via a different audio interface, and are the converters of the same quality as the Axe II?

If you used the AxeFX as an interface, you don't really use the output converters - I think the input converters are the same.

Anyway, it is fairly easy to record a dry signal with the AX8. I have posted this picture many times, but this is what I do
Screenshot 2016-04-16 15.23.57.png

This setup records
  • The 'naked' DI track on FX loop left (hard panned in the FX loop block)
  • The amp tone with no wet FX on FX loop right (hard panned in the FX loop block)
  • The 100% wet FX on Output 1 in stereo.
This requires an audio interface with four inputs. But I think it is worth it, as it gives me the ability to adjust the wet FX level during the mix stage, I can even replace the wet FX if needed without losing the raw amp tone. I also have the DI track for reamping, but I never used it.

spdif is only two channels. You could run the main out over spdif, but Out 2 would have to be analog.

I really wish AX8 had spdif in and an extra set of spdif in/out for the FX loop would also be handy.

I do this all the time over spdif.. run your main virtual rig and create another cable running from the input to the output, pan the rig and DI hard opposites and record the spdif to 2 mono channels L/R. Obviously this won't work if you want to record stereo effects though

If you used the AxeFX as an interface, you don't really use the output converters - I think the input converters are the same.

Anyway, it is fairly easy to record a dry signal with the AX8. I have posted this picture many times, but this is what I do
View attachment 44899

This setup records
  • The 'naked' DI track on FX loop left (hard panned in the FX loop block)
  • The amp tone with no wet FX on FX loop right (hard panned in the FX loop block)
  • The 100% wet FX on Output 1 in stereo.
This requires an audio interface with four inputs. But I think it is worth it, as it gives me the ability to adjust the wet FX level during the mix stage, I can even replace the wet FX if needed without losing the raw amp tone. I also have the DI track for reamping, but I never used it.

Thanks. Will this setup be good enough for album recordings in terms of DI signal quality, latency issues, etc?

Thanks. Will this setup be good enough for album recordings in terms of DI signal quality, latency issues, etc?
Latency of a DI track is a non-issue because the whole point is being able to play back the sound as it came out of your guitar, meaning you can run it through different amps and effects settings after the fact, punch in different sections etc

As far as “album recordings”, I’m not sure exactly what you mean by that term, but yes the ax8 is a tool that can yield professional results, though you do need a DAW etc to record to, but honestly even free ones can produce professional results these days, just comes down to the user

If you're only recording in mono and adding your effects ITB, then it's even easier, no need for the effects loop. Just add two filter blocks, one panned hard left, and the other hard right. one will come at the end of your signal chain in series, and the other will take the dry input and just get shunted all the way to the output. Violà! Left side is effected right side is DI (or vise versa) works over xlr or spdif of whatever you're using.

I have used my Axe FX II as audio interface, connected my computer via USB. In Cubase I have simply chosen Input 1 left and input 2 left and they have given mye wet and dry. I have never needed to adjust my presets for this to happen. Why cant I simply do the same with the AX8?

Why cant I simply do the same with the AX8?

If you were recording the Axe-FX II without using USB you'd need to take the same steps. There just isn't a way to automatically send processed/dry as L/R of SPDIF without creating a routing for it.

If you were recording the Axe-FX II without using USB you'd need to take the same steps. There just isn't a way to automatically send processed/dry as L/R of SPDIF without creating a routing for it.

I was connecting it via USB and using it as an audio interface. Can I use the AX8 as an audio interface as well?

Back
Top Bottom