Dry recordings?

FullThrottle64

Inspired
Has anyone done any recordings of the various AXE-FX III amp models dry, i.e., without compression, reverb. delay and other effects? Where's a good place to look for this? It seems to me that most of what I hear recorded has FX already added, which makes it hard to get a sense of how the underlying amp model sounds.

If I have missed something obvious, accept my apologies for asking a "stupid question".

If I remember correctly... Whenever Leon Todd puts up a video, he tends to run through the amp model tone shaping first, then adds the bells and whistles.

I believe FAS has a 30 day return policy. If that’s all that’s holding you back, I wouldn’t hesitate.
I have never, ever distance ordered and returned anything, and I have no intent to start now. If I'm not certain that I want the product, I'm not ordering it.

Would you buy a car just to test-drive it?

Last edited:
I have never, ever distance ordered and returned anything, and I have no intent to start now. If I'm not certain that I want the product, I'm not ordering it.

Not really a good analogy since there are car dealerships all over the country where you can test drive many types & brands of cars. Fractal is one location in New Hampshire so unless you live near there, it's not too practical to go there for a "test drive."

Not really a good analogy since there are car dealerships all over the country where you can test drive many types & brands of cars. Fractal is one location in New Hampshire so unless you live near there, it's not too practical to go there for a "test drive."
Yeah, I know. That is a flaw with their business model of not using any distribution. I've never bought any instrument without being able to play it BEFORE being asked to write a check, and I've been doing this since the late 70s.

Yeah, I know. That is a flaw with their business model of not using any distribution. I've never bought any instrument without being able to play it BEFORE being asked to write a check, and I've been doing this since the late 70s.
Everyone has their own comfort level for sure. I've been doing it since the mid 60's & have bought many guitars & basses online along with several products from Fractal with no issue. Their business model seems to be working just fine for them & it has been this way since day 1 so it's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Here is a link to the whole playlist of Leon Todd's 5-minute tones. Check em out. You should be able to hear the dry tone of the amps and cabs as he sets up the patch. It's also a great way to see how the Axe-Fx III functions. There are 30 videos at this moment. Tons of examples to go through.

Go to an empty preset set your input and outputs then add an amp and cab block and go through everything and find something you like. ALSO add a looper block, record something dry THEN add amp and cab to find the tone

Last edited:
Everyone has their own comfort level for sure. I've been doing it since the mid 60's & have bought many guitars & basses online along with several products from Fractal with no issue. Their business model seems to be working just fine for them & it has been this way since day 1 so it's unlikely to change anytime soon.
I'm not asking them to change, just saying that if I can't get a sense of whether it will work for me, I will not stroke a check for it.

Here is a link to the whole playlist of Leon Todd's 5-minute tones. Check em out. You should be able to hear the dry tone of the amps and cabs as he sets up the patch. It's also a great way to see how the Axe-Fx III functions. There are 30 videos at this moment. Tons of examples to go through.

Thank you - I think that's what I was looking for.

Fractals return policy of 15 days (thanks @notalemming) was likely designed with their business model in mind. It’s almost as if the company is saying “go ahead and try it for 2 weeks... that’s how confident we are that you won’t be returning it. But if you do return, thanks for trying.” It’s their business model. And it includes people like you who are unsure, but willing to give it a try — even if you end up returning it.

As for cars, sure I’d buy one online. One company, either Carvana or Vroom, openly advertise that you can drive the car around for 7 days, and return it if you are not satisfied for any reason. They have built this aspect into their business model because someone has crunched the numbers and realized that direct distribution with returns is more profitable than paying for a distribution network.

Lastly, and I’ll bet every member of this forum will agree with this... if you can’t get the guitar tone you’re after with this the AXE III, you just don’t know how to use a guitar amp. That’s not meant to be “snarky”. It’s just the prevailing opinion here on the AXE III.

Lastly, and I’ll bet every member of this forum will agree with this... if you can’t get the guitar tone you’re after with this the AXE III, you just don’t know how to use a guitar amp. That’s not meant to be “snarky”. It’s just the prevailing opinion here on the AXE III.

Or you can't find the appropriate IR, which often happens to me. :)

The IR for the CAB block can have more weight shaping the tone than the amp

Anyway, finding a close IR is millions times cheaper, easier and practical than messing with cabs, speakers and microphones in real life.

Anyway, finding a close IR is millions times cheaper, easier and practical than messing with cabs, speakers and microphones in real life.
ha! The IR rabbit hole. That problem exists all modelers.

Has anyone done any recordings of the various AXE-FX III amp models dry, i.e., without compression, reverb. delay and other effects? Where's a good place to look for this? It seems to me that most of what I hear recorded has FX already added, which makes it hard to get a sense of how the underlying amp model sounds.

If I have missed something obvious, accept my apologies for asking a "stupid question".

I suppose you can get an impression of how the amp models sound dry, but you can't discount the influence the guitar/pickups have on the sound. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a demo of an amp model at specific settings and with a given cab only to find it sounds different with my guitar.

Very true. I think I spend more time tweaking in my Torpedo Live than any other part of my rig.

As for cars, sure I’d buy one online.

I would not - and I really don't want to be sold a car as "new" that someone else drove for a week.

An example of why: The last car I bought was ordered through a dealership after I test drove one of theirs. When it arrived, I test drove it with the service manager before accepting it and found a problem on the drive. They pulled it into a bay and fixed in 15 minutes, at which point I signed the papers and paid them for the car. Had I paid for the car and then found the problem, I would have been stuck. Had I bought from anyone other than the dealership, I would have been the back of the warranty repair line, without my car for a week or more for a 15-minute fix. No, thank you.

I would say the same about the Bogner XTC, but would not expect anyone to lay down that sort of $$$ without playing through one.

Back
Top Bottom