Dry out signal

Jonnymeman

Hey gang
After pouring over the manual and reading the forums I can't find anything on this. Extremely sorry if it's a repost or if i sound like a noob.
I would love to get the dry guitar signal OUT of the axe fx without using the USB channels 3 and 4 thing, I'd like to use one of the outputs. I am using a universal audio apollo as an interface with pro tools and it's kind of an IO nightmare to make an aggrogate device that includes the AXE and the Apollo. Every time I load a new session ins and outs are swapped all over the place, even after exporting IO files and choosing the right hardware and all that.

So straight up, I'd like to use one of the outputs as a dry signal and send that in to the apollo. Any ideas?
Thanks guys

I think you should be able to do what you want by simply routing a dry path to output 2:

Make sure that in the I/O menu, AUDIO tab, that the OUTPUT 2 ECHO is set to NONE.

Out 2 Dry.jpg

I think you should be able to do what you want by simply routing a dry path to output 2:

Make sure that in the I/O menu, AUDIO tab, that the OUTPUT 2 ECHO is set to NONE.

View attachment 20391

Haha wow, that easy. I had no idea. Thank you so much. This whole time I was stuck on finding it somewhere in a menu didn't think it would be in a preset! I had a bad feeling it was a noob question thanks again. Quick question did you put the effects loop in there just because you might want to add something to the chain?

Haha wow, that easy. I had no idea. Thank you so much. This whole time I was stuck on finding it somewhere in a menu didn't think it would be in a preset! I had a bad feeling it was a noob question thanks again. Quick question did you put the effects loop in there just because you might want to add something to the chain?
The effects loop is what enables output 2.

Welp... just read that the fx loop is where output 2 shows up so please disregard my last noob question and thanks again :)

There is no need to connect the FX loop block to the output of the grid, unless you want to mix the direct sound in on output 1 as well.

The only reason the FX loop was connected to the right side of the grid was that I put the block on the right hand side, and the connection was made automatically.

It shouldn't have any impact though, as the EFFECT RETURN (input 2) is what would be passed to the output. If there is nothing connected to input2, then there is noting to feed the output.

FXL passes signal like a mixer block when nothing is connected to Input 2L, so column 12 should be avoided for this.

As aziz mentioned, Output 2 Echo is another option. That will take the signal before input gating.

The FXL method is nice if you want to boost the level and potentially improve S:N ratio, like when running to a line input suited for higher levels. You might want to disable the input gate then, and dial any desired gate setting only when reamping.

I wouldn't do that. I use protools too and have experienced this horrible pain in the hizaz. The thing is Going out through axe fx back into analog and then back into digital again is going to significantly raise your noise floor and degrade your signal quality. Especially if you are doing it with the dry channel. If you plan on ramping the dry signal further and then go between analog and digital the problem really cascades and gets worse. The aggregate thing is a royal pain in the ass for sure so What I would do is use SPDIF if you can. Then you sync your axe to your interface and make sure both are running 48khz when you record axe fx.

Or you can go into aggregate and set things up whatever way and plan on it being semi permanent if you don't want to keep redoing it. Then go into protools and adjust your I/O according to the aggregate I/O in Audio/MIDI menu in mac. Then SAVE your particular I/O setup. You can have several I/O setups if you want in pro tools. Then when you are using axe pull up your aggregate Interface+Axe fx I/O file. When you want to revert to something else load that other I/O preset.

I believe then after you are done with axe fx go to your audio midi and then make your interface the sole Recording and Output device leaving switching aggregate off. Then you load your regular I/O for the rest of stuff. As long as you don't mess with the aggregate(I never use it except for things like this) and just re-enable it when you want to integrate axe fx in protools and load the axe fx protools I/O setup, you should be golden.

Hey thanks a bunch everyone. I will try all of these and see what I can find out. I like the output 2 echo input 1 idea a lot. I have tried the aggregate thing and no matter how I save my settings the Apollo inputs 1 and 2 get mixed up with the axe input and I always have to do a test to see which is which. Is there a way to run a mono processed signal on the left side of a stereo channel and a dry signal on the right? Is that something a mixer block can do?

Is there a way to run a mono processed signal on the left side of a stereo channel and a dry signal on the right? Is that something a mixer block can do?

Yes. No mixer block needed as there's a mixer in the layout menu, or FXL if using out 2. Make 2 rows with the different signals and balance them L/R.

I think Aziz had the better answer.
Make sure there is no FX LOOP block in the preset and set OUTPUT2 ECHO to INPUT1.

I/O menu: Output 2 echo: input 1. = Now your input 1 signal goes to out2 automatically.

Cool! I wasn't aware that feature was added! I must've skipped over it's addition in the release notes when Copy Output 1 -> 2 was renamed to Output Echo.

See ya later, FX Loop block!

I use a Focusrite soundcard and i use out1 for wet and spdif for dry. In the IO page i set spdif out to INPUT for dry tone.
Then i just choose the appropriate inputs in the daw to record both wet and dry at the same time. Works great...

I use a Focusrite soundcard and i use out1 for wet and spdif for dry. In the IO page i set spdif out to INPUT for dry tone.
Then i just choose the appropriate inputs in the daw to record both wet and dry at the same time. Works great...

I really like that idea bc with the dry going through spdif there is no additional DA/AD conversion, which helps the SN ratio, and I can use output 1 to monitor the close-but-temporary tone until I can run the dry through the axe again with the mix. Thanks ztevie I think this is what I will end up doing.

Actually if I ended up doing the left-dry/right-wet method through spdif then I get the best of both worlds. Any chance someone can post a pic of a preset or setting that does this bc I am still a bit confused about how to achieve that. Mixer block? Output mixer? What determines what goes left and right?

--amp/cab/fx in one row---

--all shunts in another row--

At the Layout: Mix page (or click Output in AE) are balance controls for each row. Balance one row left and the other right. (Rows are numbered 1 2 3 4 from top to bottom in the grid.) Make sure SPDIF out source = Output 1 in I/O menu.

Back
Top Bottom