Dry IRs

State of Epicicity

Fractal Fanatic
Hi there,

I really like using IRs that do not include perceptible room reflections or other "trailing" sounds, akin to a cabinet that has been extremely isolated in a studio, and I'm wondering if anyone could offer suggestions for particular IR brands that may have a dry sound in general, or particular packs that sound dry. I use all types of tones, and I've found that unexpected combinations can be really wonderful, so recommendations for guitar cabinets of any type at all are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :)

Regular IRs ("standard" or "normal") are just 20 ms long and have no reflections / room sound.

@yek I came upon this from Cliff:

The problem with conventional IRs is that they are too short to capture the detail in the low frequencies. There are those that maintain 20 ms is the maximum length you need to fully replicate the speaker.

I do like to use IRs that do have a solid low end, and if Ultra Res is the answer to that, I'm all for it. I'm wondering if there are brands or packs with higher res IRs that would still be dry, or is asking for that contradictory? Are you saying that by asking to avoid room sound the only answer would be IRs that would, as Cliff explains, lose the detail in the low frequencies?

That's contradictory indeed. Longer IRs will capture room reflections.

But you don't need to worry about standard IRs not having solid low end.

That's contradictory indeed. Longer IRs will capture room reflections.

But you don't need to worry about standard IRs not having solid low end.
Thanks for getting back to me about that. It's hard for me to reconcile longer IRs necessarily containing mostly room information on the tail end, because I just imagine a cabinet in a studio in which the reflections have already been removed through absorption material, directional mics, bass traps, and whatever else one would install acoustically. In that situation, I'd assume with a long IR you'd just be picking up more detail for the frequencies that take longer for the mic to capture properly, namely low end; regardless, thanks also for the vote of confidence for the low end on standard IRs. Any recommendations for packs or brands of low res IRs?

Thanks for the recommendation. I did try that when I first got the AxeFx, but I remember hearing a lot of reflections. I'll give it another try though.

---

I was interested in starting to explore the commercial IRs that are available. People rave so much about particular brands on this forum it's hard to ignore, and it seems like longer IRs are the standard. It would then follow that, going by the logic of "long IRs are going to contain reflections and other room sound" it seems like, for what I'm interested in, exploring commercial IR packs may be a fool's errand; I have to research more.

Back
Top Bottom