'Drop tunings'.........hmmmmmmm

Especially when it comes to the really low stuff, I'm not really hearing anything that catches my attention.

What's the draw? What's the push?

I use drop d, half step down. I just love the sound of C# minor.

Though we use lots of different keys on the upcoming album, that low C# is just the right range for our sound.

I also have a 7 string down a whole step to get a low A. I use that for the final fantasy prelude, which requires the low A. Technically, I need a low G#, but I just take that 1 note up an octave. Every person that picks up that guitar and hits the low A has the same reaction; the "what's that smell" look followed by "oh yeah" and slowly nodding up and down. When you get that low, the EQ naturally accentuates the low mid bark that just sounds so good.

I also have a baritone tuned to C standard. It's so bizarre hearing that guitar go from E standard to C standard as the whole tonality changes.

This has been a natural progression my whole musical life. Bands/musicians have been trying to extend their ranges since Black Sabbath, and before. When I was a pup, bands were getting lower and lower. Especially the heavier stuff, like death metal. Drop D was beyond popular in the 90's. Then overseas you had bands like Meshuggah that were using 7's then detuning the 7's, then moving to 8's. At the same time here in the states, the west coast players started using the Steve Vai 7's and doing the same thing years later. Now a 7 is pretty much standard in metal IMO and the 8 isn't far off. I play 8's and love it. Now when I play a 6 or a 7, they feel like little toys in my hands. :lol. They have also gotten MUCH MORE affordable.
Its just a continuation of the same thing. You can get a neck thru 10 string now for under $1200 shipped now. A 9 string for $900. So, its going to be an interesting ride.
Also, this does not mean I don't use the other 6 stings on my guitars. I just wanted more range so I got it. :twisted

The late 90s B and A craze seemed to me a metal equivalent of rap bass.

Drop I've never been interested in, and I've never liked distortion on bass, though I think lower tunings can sound cool, like on Heartwork. But only in the mix does it sound good to me. Every time one side or the other is alone, the clarity drops out. Early on, I somehow got down to C standard, but then through circumstance went back to E, and lower than that tends to sound either dull or dirty.

whatever serves the song. take a drop tuned song, any of them, you could argue that it wouldn't sound as good played in E standard; the mix of vocals/guitars/bass might be cluttered, there could 1000 reasons. i also think the lower you go with chugging etc. the more percussive the sound becomes, maybe some of the metal heads here can agree or disagree here but maybe that's one of the reasons?

maybe a singers voice mixes better with guitars in drop A than in E, so when it comes time to form a band, the band plays in drop A. done and dusted

What we tell others: "Our singer is more comfortable in that range... It's more percussive... It sits in the mix better... My playing has evolved to lower tunings... The extended range offers more musical options..."

What we think to ourselves: "Because it sounds evil and awesome!"

I use drop d, half step down. I just love the sound of C# minor.

Though we use lots of different keys on the upcoming album, that low C# is just the right range for our sound.

I also have a 7 string down a whole step to get a low A. I use that for the final fantasy prelude, which requires the low A. Technically, I need a low G#, but I just take that 1 note up an octave. Every person that picks up that guitar and hits the low A has the same reaction; the "what's that smell" look followed by "oh yeah" and slowly nodding up and down. When you get that low, the EQ naturally accentuates the low mid bark that just sounds so good.

I also have a baritone tuned to C standard. It's so bizarre hearing that guitar go from E standard to C standard as the whole tonality changes.

What string gauges are you using with half step down & half step down drop d?

It's all a matter of finding a tuning that's low enough that can evoke the sense of dread in a person, yet high enough so that clarity remains in that the instrument being played is in fact a guitar. Everyone has a tendency to pick straight keys. Why not pick a Sharp or flat? It's rare when I hear C flat used in metal stuff.

As much as I love my 8 string and Animals As Leaders, It's starting to get ridiculous with guitars. I feel even worse for bassists who have to tune to F# an octave down the guitars. Might as well not buy a cab at that point, just buy subwoofers. Also, I will now wait for the brown metal genre. Everyone in the genre tunes to the brown note and have 20 string guitars so if the actual playing doesn't make ya crap, the weight of the guitar probably will. :)

I like playing drop D down half a step, so I guess drop C#. I use slightly heavier strings than I normally would for E standard (10-52 rather than 10-46) and I really like the body that the heavier bottom strings and the dropped tuning gives. Down enough to be different but not so far down it's mud.

Cheers.

It's all a matter of finding a tuning that's low enough that can evoke the sense of dread in a person, yet high enough so that clarity remains in that the instrument being played is in fact a guitar. Everyone has a tendency to pick straight keys. Why not pick a Sharp or flat? It's rare when I hear C flat used in metal stuff.

As much as I love my 8 string and Animals As Leaders, It's starting to get ridiculous with guitars. I feel even worse for bassists who have to tune to F# an octave down the guitars. Might as well not buy a cab at that point, just buy subwoofers. Also, I will now wait for the brown metal genre. Everyone in the genre tunes to the brown note and have 20 string guitars so if the actual playing doesn't make ya crap, the weight of the guitar probably will. :)

I don't know about AAL, but in the case of Meshuggah, Dick actually tunes to the same pitch as the 8-string guitars. It's a big part of how they get such a thick sound.

Back
Top Bottom