AFIII Drop G and D Standard Metal (My SD3 Death and Darkness Mix)

monkeymanx

Inspired

This is the first thing I have put together with my Axe FX III I picked up a couple months back. It's 2 songs I have in the works but I decided to make a video for the mix I have going with SD3 Death and Darkness SDX. The preset I made is also available in the video description if you have Death and Darkness and want to try something different.

The guitars are a blend of the Recto 2 model with a screamer in front of it and the Herbie CH3. I'm using Ownhammer IRs with my own blend going on. The clean is just the USA clean and is made to be... well, clean. On the drop G tune I used the pitch shifting delay to climb up during the chorus part. Pretty fun stuff.

A little background. I bought a AFX III back in June of 2019. Sold it at the beginning of 2020. Picked up a Helix rack. Was using the Helix rack as a main recording interface but the drivers sucked. Dumped the Helix and got a Antelope Discrete 8 which was rock solid but I didn't need that many inputs. Went back through the various VST amp sims. Really digged the Neural DSP stuff, especially the Granophyre and Gorjira. Sold the Discrete and back to the Axe FX III a couple months back and really enjoying it. Drivers are rock solid. Works great as an interface. It's fun to play as well and I can make ridiculous patches which I love doing. Also picked up a Great River mic pre to run into the Axe for recording purposes since the only live thing I need a mic for is vocals now a days.

I've been working on this drum mix for awhile to try to gain a really snappy response that will work with the wall of guitars sound. I don't do a whole lot now a days so I constantly fall out of practice with my mixing skills... Also my musicians skills as well. I'm really good at competitive Tetris online though, so ya know, watch out there.

Again, glad to be back with the Axe. If you have SD3 D&D and need a nice preset, I hope you enjoy this one. Or, maybe it sucks hahaha...

This is excellent! Guitar tones are great and the drums are killer.
You're a great drummer (and guitar player).

This is excellent! Guitar tones are great and the drums are killer.
You're a great drummer (and guitar player).
Thanks. I appreciate it. I would share my Axe patches as well but I don’t use the built in cabs and mainly use the Ownhammer packs I have and the cab alters the sound a lot. Although I don’t think it is too hard to get good tones out of the Axe anyway so I don’t know how many people would use my patches anyway.

Back
Top Bottom