Drop Axe-Edit before turning off Axe is good practice

Sorry, absolutely not my intention.

I just spent two weeks in Germany, typrying to get a new company-required laptop to work. They say I need it for their Catia TeamCenter on my laptop, and I use a Mac and they won’t do it. I guess all of the errors and problems are my fault, but it was difficult to get everything working well. When I saw this poor guy reporting a problem and everyone suggesting their different issues, it reminded me of my last two weeks.

I wasn’t trying to troll anyone or anything. My sincere apologies, to anyone that felt slighted.
Regardless, I don’t think it required a negative name. I didn’t realize, that I was hurting anyone’s feelings. I think trolling comes with intent.

For the OP, my experience is to cold-boot everything, reload software, and try to replicate the fault.
Well, you started with “as usual, I’m just clowning around”... that made your intentions pretty clear to me. I don’t see anything to apologize for.

One thing I was doing a lot was leaving Axe edit and my computer up all the time and just powering on my Axe. The driver does not like this. It is a simple fix of shut down Axe edit before the Axe and all is good. This has never happened before. My computer never goes to sleep. I just turn my monitor off and my computer stays on all the time. I have no screen saver or max time being up. I am sure it took several times of doing this to destroy the driver. Easy fix, just uninstall old driver and reinstall.

Windows 10. No problem switching off the Axe-FX III while Axe-Edit is open

However, I have another issue with the USB: if I switch on the Axe-FX III while there is a sound playing at the computer (YouTube, system sounds or whatever) then the Axe-FX USB dies; there is no sound coming from it. Then I have to uninstall the Fractal Audio drivers, restart the computer and install them again (same solution as the OP).

No issues after I have disabled the PC system sounds and take care of not playing anything while I switch On the Axe-FX

Consensus of majority of users without this problem does not mean that the OP doesn't have an issue. Democracy is not a cure for diseases. ;)

Anyway, like in my case, he has found a reliable solution
On Window 10 if you have the default Axe 3 and it is not on and then turn it on, it should be fine. Sometimes you have to open the speaker icon at the bottom of the page and reselect the Axe if it does not do it by default. I never use my Axe as an audio interface unless I am recording. I use a Thunderbolt Focusrite 8 Chanel interface. I only use the Axe for reamping during recording.

However, I have another issue with the USB: if I switch on the Axe-FX III while there is a sound playing at the computer (YouTube, system sounds or whatever) then the Axe-FX USB dies; there is no sound coming from it.
Happens with me too on Windows 10 ..... If I'm playing YT and audio is via the in built audio and was to boot up the AxeFX then the system automatically selects the AxeFx as 'speakers' - this causes the YT video to stall.

Reloading the YT page in my browser usually cures this - though on some occasions I've had to force quit and restart the web browser.

Happens with me too on Windows 10 ..... If I'm playing YT and audio is via the in built audio and was to boot up the AxeFX then the system automatically selects the AxeFx as 'speakers' - this causes the YT video to stall.

Reloading the YT page in my browser usually cures this - though on some occasions I've had to force quit and restart the web browser.

For me, it requires more than restarting. I have to:

- Uninstall the FAS drivers
- Delete all the FAS hidden devices in Device Manager
- Restart the computer
- Install the FAS drivers

Chris, it is a catch 22 leaving your computer on all the time. Better for your hard drive, but harder on power supplies. It does seem when I leave my computer on for weeks at a times I have to reboot. This may have been part of the cause. I do drop Axe Edit before powering down my Axe and reboot my computer once a week. As far as a Mac, I would not have one. That is a very subjective thing. I don't do Mac or Pro Tools. Maybe I misspoke when I said the driver gets destroyed. It stops working. It has only happened once. I was trying to be nice and tell everyone that it is good practice to drop Axe Edit before tuning off the AXE. I did this for weeks before the driver stopped working. If you ever select the driver and it does not work, just uninstall the old one and reinstall. Just good house keeping practice.

Chris, it is a catch 22 leaving your computer on all the time. Better for your hard drive, but harder on power supplies.
i think the average computer is designed to turn on and off. this may be one of those topics that can be researched a bit too much. *shrug*

i turn my computer on when i'm using it, and i turn it off when i'm not. some computers i turn on and off daily. they're all doing great.

This is usually browser/plugin/app specific. Windows 10 automatically selects the next device in the priority list when one is disabled/removed/powered down, and *most* of the time, the running apps will gracefully switch over. Ex: If I have a game running in the background when i turn my Axe on, audio for the game will start going through Axe, and when I power off the Axe, it'll switch back to my primary output card (minidsp, highly recommended). YouTube always does this for me on Chrome x64, but Discord/Slack always fail to switch. :/

My usual browser is Firefox ... but I'm aware of the issue and usually remember to pause any play on YT before switching on the Axe-Fx - which seems to sidestep the problem.

This is one of those topics like in a PC video game forum where the developer has to support 100,000 iterations of different computer combinations. No matter what if enough people see something like this they will all have some different combination of variables that have X/Y effect. LOL but to the original comment.... no I never have a problem shutting off the furman I have the AXE and both my ASM12 on before AXE Edit.

On Window 10 if you have the default Axe 3 and it is not on and then turn it on, it should be fine. Sometimes you have to open the speaker icon at the bottom of the page and reselect the Axe if it does not do it by default. I never use my Axe as an audio interface unless I am recording. I use a Thunderbolt Focusrite 8 Chanel interface. I only use the Axe for reamping during recording.

This is usually browser/plugin/app specific. Windows 10 automatically selects the next device in the priority list when one is disabled/removed/powered down, and *most* of the time, the running apps will gracefully switch over. Ex: If I have a game running in the background when i turn my Axe on, audio for the game will start going through Axe, and when I power off the Axe, it'll switch back to my primary output card (minidsp, highly recommended). YouTube always does this for me on Chrome x64, but Discord/Slack always fail to switch. :/

If I turn on my Axe 3 after my computer has been on, then audio won't run through the Axe at all until I restart it.
It's done this with two totally different computers now. Windows 10 on both.
Even if I turn the Axe on before I turn the computer on, every now and then the audio will completely cut out until I restart the computer. It's super annoying, not sure what the issue is.

If I turn on my Axe 3 after my computer has been on, then audio won't run through the Axe at all until I restart it.
It's done this with two totally different computers now. Windows 10 on both.
Even if I turn the Axe on before I turn the computer on, every now and then the audio will completely cut out until I restart the computer. It's super annoying, not sure what the issue is.

Are you using a long USB cable? Have you tried a different USB cable or switching USB ports?

Chris, it is a catch 22 leaving your computer on all the time. Better for your hard drive, but harder on power supplies. It does seem when I leave my computer on for weeks at a times I have to reboot. This may have been part of the cause. I do drop Axe Edit before powering down my Axe and reboot my computer once a week. As far as a Mac, I would not have one. That is a very subjective thing. I don't do Mac or Pro Tools. Maybe I misspoke when I said the driver gets destroyed. It stops working. It has only happened once. I was trying to be nice and tell everyone that it is good practice to drop Axe Edit before tuning off the AXE. I did this for weeks before the driver stopped working. If you ever select the driver and it does not work, just uninstall the old one and reinstall. Just good house keeping practice.
If you run ANY version of windows desktop (I'm not talking server versions, nor ANY 'nix varieties), you SHOULD reboot your machine periodically. I've seen Windows servers up and running for months on end without issue, but NOT desktops. It depends on which software you use as some win stuff behaves better than others. You WILL have memory leaks and your performance WILL slow down.. It's just a matter of time.
If you run DAW or MIDI or pgms like Photoshop.. expect to reboot more frequently to clean up lost files, RAM etc.
Luckily, the win10 boot time is vastly improved over 7's, so it's not that big a deal for most.
There are utilities such as ccleaner or glary that will clean up bad links, reg and app files too, and reduce the clutter and your reboot frequencies.
YMMV

Back
Top Bottom