Drobo bankruptcy

ESPer

Just FYI-ing in case anyone is using a Drobo product or in the market for a DAS or NAS. I just received a letter from their attorneys informing me about the filing. They were pretty popular for a while. I’ve had one for about five years. For the last couple years their website has shown most items out of stock and many people have reported difficulty getting support.

Not posting this to bash on Drobo, just to let people know about it so someone looking into a DAS or NAS could make an informed decision. I was going to do a long write up, but Appleinsider.com already has a good one.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/07/06/storage-firm-drobo-has-filed-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy

I’m still using a Drobo DAS. I was already planning on moving away from it as the extended warranty is about to run out.

Oh, no. They seemed to be such a big player back in the day. I wonder if it all went to shit with the buyout/sale. Were they saddled with the debt of their own buyout, as per the USA norm? Did this wreck the company? No idea.

I’ve got three of their devices in near constant use. They’ve been very good to me, except for the garbage network speed of the old FS, which I turned into a direct storage device.

Welp, when it is time to make a change, I’ll look elsewhere. Such a shame.

Used Drobos for years. In fact, I just had to break them out of storage to find some images from a client we photographed 10+ years ago. Was a good system in its day except for the proprietary nature of the thing which meant the drives were unreadable if the controller failed.

Back
Top Bottom