Bug? Driver install problem

Mornna84

It's been a while I'm trying to install the latest Axe FX 2 Driver package 2014.06.06, and there's always the same kind of error happening during the boot-loader install step.
Everything goes fine until that instructions message telling me to switch the axe on and click next (which I do), and then, "Driver Install Error Code 116, Driver Could Not Be Updated...".
Even after I changed my CPU, updated my BIOS, all USB drivers and of course, uninstalled any previous version of the axe driver package, it happens again and again...
Why does only the old version 168 work on my computer, and not the newer 2016.06.06???
Any idea?

Yep, same result with any port, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, doesn't change anything.
The only varying stuff is sometimes I get error code 100, sometimes the error code 116.

Thanx, I followed your instructions step by step exactly as you wrote them.
The FAS setup window: "error code 100", but...
The windows device driver install window: "FAS Axe FX2 USB Bootloader : ready to go" and "AXE FX 2 : failed...
Didn't work after all, because Axe Edit can't connect.
I can't imagine what to try else as your steps seem already quite thorough.
Reverting back to old driver again...

BTW, installing the old driver doesn't seem to require unplugging the axe at all, switching it off is sufficient (?).

HELP!!! I am now turning crazy! After following the steps described in the link above, now I also get error code 100 when trying to install the old driver 1.68!!! Can't find any way to re-connect my Axe Fx2 Mk2 to the computer!!

did it 5-6 times now with cleaning / unplugging every time. Still stuck with error code 100.
I guess something must still be left messing with any new install...

Did you uninstalled everything from control panel?? There is three items to uninstall

- Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package
- Fractal Audio Systems USB Audio Driver
- And.. another one that says something like "axefx2load USB" in brakets.

Unplug the Axe, uninstall those three, clean your registry with Ccleaner and reboot your PC.

After you reboot try to install again. Remember to not plug the USB.

Yes, that's what I did every single time, but maybe.. maybe I nailed it.
Now it worked again with the old driver, but it was not a matter of cleaning, it was a matter of timing!
I still gotta try with the newest driver but here's what I did:
When starting the driver setup, go until it prompts switch the axe on.
At the same time, a windows driver install process starts in the system tray.
What I did was waiting (for quite a long time) for the windows driver install process to be over BEFORE clicking next within the FAS driver install window.
I think for the setup to work, it has to "finalize" after the windows driver detection / install is over.
For me, it takes something like 5min for the windows automatic driver setup to complete. Maybe I just have to be patient.

So finally... back to initial situation.
What I understood for driver v.16.8 was not valid for driver 2014.06.06.
When re-installing driver 16.8, at the step prompting me to switch the axe on, I had to wait about 5min for the windows driver install to finish before clicking next to finalize the bootloader install.
Even if I do the same for driver 2014.06.06, it doesn't work as I can't avoid error code 100.
I guess I just got to give up on driver 2014.06.06 then... still quite weird to me.

Sounds really weird.

I don't remember exactly the procedure that the driver follows when it installs... It has been ages since but I'm pretty sure I didn't waited 5 minutes to finish anything before continue to the installation... Something is acting wrong in your system.

I'm going to replace my PC the next week so I'm gonna do a fresh OS install and of course everything Axe related.
I'll follow closely the install procedure so maybe I'll find something to help you.

Ok, I have installed a fresh license of Windows 10 x64 on my new Studio PC.
I've Installed latest FAS Drivers [2014.06.06] without any issues at all... I didn't need to wait the 5 minutes you needed to make the old driver to work, I've just followed the On-Screen instructions and everything installed smoothly as silk.

Installed Axe-Edit and Fractal-Bot and checked that everything is working properly. I need to deactivate Cab-Lab on my old PC before installing it in this one.

So... I don't know what's going on in your setup, Looks like something is acting weird in your system. The 5 minutes wait is weird, but the fact that you can't install the latest drivers is REALLY weird... Maybe you have left traces of the old installation in your system that prevents you to install the latest drivers properly.

I suggest you to open a Support Ticket. Maybe they find something that we missed.
I'll post again if any suggestion comes to my mind.

I hope it's solved soon.
Good luck mate.

Last edited:
Do you think it may have anything to do with either Axe Edit or Fractal-Bot?
I have never uninstalled these before trying to install the latest driver...

Maybe...
It's worth to try. Uninstall Fractal-Bot, Axe-Edit and finally the drivers. Clean everything.
Delete manually the Fractal Folder located under Program Files after you wiped everything and restart the computer

Then install JUST the USB driver and let's see how it goes.

Don't know if my case might help but i had to reinstall my drivers too because my hard drive has crashed. A hard disk change later, i couldn't get the drivers to work but it was because my windows installation was from a really old version (2009 win7). After i had the most recent version of windows7 installed, everything was fine again (except for all my saved presets i lost because of the crash.)

hope that helps !

Back
Top Bottom