Driver install error code 116 Fix: if struggling with windows 10 not installing FAS usb drivers

have you had to deal with this?

• yeah I know the feeling!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • nah dude

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something something Apple for twice the cost

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Cobrango

Power User
Hi :grin::balloon: lately I've had the problem where windows 10 would not recognize that the axe-fx II was connected, and certainly not connect to the axe-fx II from axe-edit. I found a temporary solution where I start windows in advanced mode where forced driver authorization is turned off, but today I found a permanent fix.

When you open the installer the normal way, you get this message:

"Driver install error code: 116
Driver could not be updated.
Run installer again and accept
installation of unsigned drivers."

and this message is pretty frustrating, but the way I did it was this:

Update drivers in Windows 10
  1. Select Start , in Search , type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
  2. Expand a category (like Monitors or Network Adapters) to find the name of your device, in this case the axe-fx II right, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver. ...
  3. S̶e̶l̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶S̶e̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶f̶t̶w̶a̶r̶e̶.̶
BUT! Instead of 3. selecting search automatially for updated driver software you just manually select your own driver, in my case it's C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio Systems\Fractal Audio Systems USB Driver Package 2014.06.06\Driver

And Voilà! :cool: Windows 10 now accepts the Fractal Audio USB driver so you can run axe-edit/cab-lab normally instead of having to use advanced startup / safe-mode or whatever :rolleyes:

Pretty basic stuff, but it's been frustrating me from time to time when I forget about the specific way of doing it for various reasons like uninstall/install, new drive, whatever :D

Back
Top Bottom