Drive Pedal Heaven

That's my approach as well. I like having two gain stages with differing characteristics, and stack them for additional mayhem.

Anyone else loving this update as much as I am? I've always been a "pedal platform" player.

The way I use drive blocks is to run two of them in series. One low gain, one low/med gain. Use both for "more". Try it!

100%. The smoothness and meatiness of my two live preset drives stacked is 👌🏻👌🏻

BB Pre (A)/ACB (B) + Jam Ray ----> AC-20 (A)/ODS-100 HRM (B)

Last edited:
As I stated before I never used pedals in all my years of playing live. I bought one drive pedal when I first got into guitar. It was a black MXR Distortion+. Hated the thing. Sounded like a can of bees. Of course I was playing it through a solid-state Crate so...

That said I've been experimenting with the drives into various cleanish amps and really digging some of them. Into a Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb is doing it for me.

I used to run four drives into a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia w/Celestion Blue. Used the drives in different combinations as gain stages. The trick to keep things under control was to keep all of the drives gain @ 30% or less. I also put my time-based effects in the mic line (pseudo 4CM). It's the only rig I miss.

I like the tone of a drive pedal into a cleaner amp equally to the sound of a cranked amp on its own...

It’s like a super high revving but small displacement f1 engine is awesome in its own way, but so are good old big displacement v8’s.

I have never been a pedal guy. Always used multi-effects. So I am not even an amp guy. Mainly because when I was a youngster I couldn't afford neither amps nor pedals.
How I see pedal platforms that you have a one-trick pony amp and you have to make the most out of it so you stick drives on the front of it to make it more versatile.
But why would I want to use use a pedal that turns a Fender into a Marshall, when I can just use a Marshall in the Axe-fx? Why do I want to turn a Plexi in a super high gain monster, when I can use a bunch of amps, that was made for that?

I like boosting, eq-ing, but I am learning how to use the drives that make me go, oh yeah, that's so much better, but I always just return to the amps.
I have a lot to learn :D

On that note, I have been interested in Fuzzes, lately, but having a hard time reproducing the interaction between the guitar and the fuzz pedal, compared what I hear online. Any tips?

On that note, I have been interested in Fuzzes, lately, but having a hard time reproducing the interaction between the guitar and the fuzz pedal, compared what I hear online. Any tips?

Isn’t really going to happen as the axe is by nature always going to act like it’s behind a buffer, so won’t get that same clean Ge fuzz tone just by rolling your volume pot back from 10 to 9

As I stated before I never used pedals in all my years of playing live. I bought one drive pedal when I first got into guitar. It was a black MXR Distortion+. Hated the thing. Sounded like a can of bees. Of course I was playing it through a solid-state Crate so...

That said I've been experimenting with the drives into various cleanish amps and really digging some of them. Into a Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb is doing it for me.
Coming to the Dark Side (tm) :D

Anyone else loving this update as much as I am? I've always been a "pedal platform" player.

The way I use drive blocks is to run two of them in series. One low gain, one low/med gain. Use both for "more". Try it!
Do you have a particular preference on which one is first?

I tend to prefer the lower gain pedal "closest" to the amp and feed to higher gain into the lower gain.

part of the beauty of drives is the pre-eq that comes with them. It's more than just gain stages, it's shaping the amp as well.

what is it that you guys get from a
pedal+amp drive tone that you can’t get from an amp?

I understand fuzzes or extreme/weird settings etc...but lately i feel more and more the (right) amp distortion/crunch/lead tone is almost allways better than the (over) compressed pedal tone.

Not judging, trying to understand.

what is it that you guys get from a
pedal+amp drive tone that you can’t get from an amp?

I understand fuzzes or extreme/weird settings etc...but lately i feel more and more the (right) amp distortion/crunch/lead tone is almost allways better than the (over) compressed pedal tone.

Not judging, trying to understand.
Read the post literally right before yours.

Read the post literally right before yours.

ok, obviously:) it’s a drastic eq/low cut etc and (for me unpleasant) compression where with the right amp block i have the freedom to shape the tone, amount of comp and dist.

I can understand it yields
much faster to a mix ready tone that cuts through which is consistant/mid heavy. But still the compression and lack of freedom of shaping makes me lately stay away from it.

Maybe i should ask my question better. Do you guys think, just as an example, putting bb pre or ac booster infront of a ac30 style amp (or any combination you love) gives a tone (better) which you cant get with only an amp and maybe an eq or amp input drive type selection.

Back
Top Bottom